Sign in to follow this  
jt8d9a

Problems with Win10 15002rs_prerelease 170102-1700 and OpenGL

I did update my pc with the latest windows 10rc and now im unable to play OpenGL games.

X-Plane and the Opengl version of Valley benchmak won`t start. I did delete X-Plane`s preferences but no luck. I did also install the latest Nvidia drivers.

Can somebody confirm this?

I updated Win 10 yesterday to 14393.693 [latest build] and have the latest NVidia drivers [376.33]. 

Just ran X-Plane Beta 5 for a 90 minute flight and it worked fine, without any crashes.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I did update my pc with the latest windows 10rc and now im unable to play OpenGL games.

X-Plane and the Opengl version of Valley benchmak won`t start. I did delete X-Plane`s preferences but no luck. I did also install the latest Nvidia drivers.

Can somebody confirm this?

Could you provide a little more info on what the issue is?  To state that after an update to Windows, you cannot play any OpenGL games is a bit vague, without knowing details from crash logs or events from Windows event viewer.

I concur with Arwen that my system stays up to date with the latest updates from Windows and I have yet to have any fatal crashes with XP (or any other game, for that matter).  If something does crash, it usually has to do with add-ons, which typically show up in the XP log file.  For games, it depends on what platform (ex. Steam), and that may not necessarily mean it's something about my system.

Have you tried other benchmarking software to see if the crash continues?  

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I did test various OpenGL apps and all weren`t able to start (black screen and nothing happened).

So, i did uninstall the RC and now i`m back to 14986rs_prerelease.161202-198.

Now everything works again. So this is just a warning to be prepared for a rollback, if you want to upgrade to 15002rs_prerelease 170102-1700. 

I did test various OpenGL apps and all weren`t able to start (black screen and nothing happened).

So, i did uninstall the RC and now i`m back to 14986rs_prerelease.161202-198.

Now everything works again. So this is just a warning to be prepared for a rollback, if you want to upgrade to 15002rs_prerelease 170102-1700. 

Let's be clear here, is it a clean install, an advertised upgrade through Windows Update or is it an update that comes through automatically?  I had one on Tuesday (aka patch Tuesday), but I didn't check the version numbers of Windows.  I ran XP11 B5 the following evening and everything was running fine, or at least, I didn't get any crashes (the integrity of the beta is a different story).

One suggestion, that I found on a related topic to OpenGL, is to ensure you are running the latest graphics drivers.  Also, if you need to upgrade those, to do a clean uninstall and subsequent install of the new.  I cannot vouch for the success of resolving your OpenGL issues in this fashion, but at least you will be up to date with the graphics drivers.  :smile:

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

With win10 all updates are automatic. I had to disable windows update service, because windows did try it again to install the 15002rs....build   :fool:

Driver update was my first step but that didn`t help, so i had to search for a common denominator and that lead me to OpenGl.

With win10 all updates are automatic. I had to disable windows update service, because windows did try it again to install the 15002rs....build   :fool:

Driver update was my first step but that didn`t help, so i had to search for a common denominator and that lead me to OpenGl.

Well I fear this may turn into the "blame game", where Microsoft will accuse the graphic card manufacturer of updating their drivers, whereas the graphics card manufacturer will blame Microsoft, and we're caught in the middle.

Are you a part of the Windows beta program?  This could be why that update wants to keep getting installed.  Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.

Build 15002 Windows 10 Insider Preview Build, which is basically still a beta release.  I would never install a preview build of any OP, especially Win 10.  I don't even install the latest update until I get some online feedback on it.

Hopefully they will fix this before the final build is released,  But you should report the problem to MS, if you haven't already done so.

• Upvote 2

~ Arwen ~

Build 15002 Windows 10 Insider Preview Build, which is basically still a beta release.  I would never install a preview build of any OP, especially Win 10.  I don't even install the latest update until I get some online feedback on it.

Hopefully they will fix this before the final build is released,  But you should report the problem to MS, if you haven't already done so.

Ahhhhh see, and I was going to bring that up, but thankfully you took care of that.  I didn't want to sound pretentious. lol

YES, so much yes here.  When you have a stable, solid system running with everything you want, the way you want it, the last thing you do is install preview builds on it.  In fact, many computer gurus around the net state that for these types of installs, use a spare computer OR, continually run backups or even restore points, just in case a build causes problems.

Preview builds are primarily for developers, and since the OP hadn't mentioned that, I won't assume either way on why he would get the preview builds but you definitely take your chances with those.  Just like betas, if you don't have a way out, then you may be stuck troubleshooting for a while.

I will always try betas and i didn`t complain about that build. I just wanted to share my expierence as a warning. Next time i won`t.

I will always try betas and i didn`t complain about that build. I just wanted to share my expierence as a warning. Next time i won`t.

I appreciate your sharing, and the warning.  But you really should have started out by explaining that you were using a preview/beta build, and not the last release/update of Win 10.  The only reason that I replied to your thread was to let you know that I was not having trouble with XP11 after Tuesday's WIN 10 update. I was only trying to help you.

And you definitely SHOULD complain to MS about this preview, if it indeed causes problems with OpenGL.

• Upvote 1

~ Arwen ~

I kinda feel duped.  I did in fact see the different versions, but didn't immediately make the connection to the fact of using "experimental" updates.  There is no harm using them, but it's a safe bet that if problems occur, the first thing you do is put the system in a stable state by leaving out rc or beta updates.

This issue the OP is having is similar, if not the same as what happened a while back with another great MS release, only it was a normal update and not a rc or beta.  I don't usually bat an eye when it comes to openGL status, and I can't say I've had an issue with OpenGL since the late 90's, so again, I tend to gloss over that aspect of computing.

The problem still persist with build 150014. I did return to 14986rs_prerelease.161202-1928 and everything is OK.

The problem still persist with build 150014. I did return to 14986rs_prerelease.161202-1928 and everything is OK.

Hopefully you're reporting this problem back to Microsoft so that this issue is fixed before the next official version of Windows 10 is released. Earlier preview Win10 releases made it unusable for Intel graphic card users and it took MS a good five or six preview builds before they finally fixed that issue.

Give people power to really test their personality.

I updated Win 10 yesterday to 14393.693 [latest build] and have the latest NVidia drivers [376.33]. 

Just ran X-Plane Beta 5 for a 90 minute flight and it worked fine, without any crashes.

You do not remember me, I remember you.  :smile:

We exchanged opinons few years ago about flight sim stuff and I still remember your nice thoughts, words and passion for flight simming, beside some not common human skills that were the main reason I remember of you as a great forumer mate.

That's a pleasure for me to see that you are still in this forum and it has been a pleasant surprise for me to spot your name here, cause I have been away for a while.

Apologize for the personal post, once in a while and about Arwen that's necessary, also to encourage the female presence, many times you are better than " us " talking about flight simming and real flight world.

Cheers