Sign in to follow this  

GTX780 > GTX1080 useful for XP11?

Well, big bummer... In another topic I posted about my planned upgrade and if I should wait for a 1080 Ti or not. However, life got in the way and let's just say my budget for my brand new PC seems to have gone down the drain. Not completely, luckily, but now I probably will have to look at an upgrade instead of a brand new system.

Right now I have an i7 4790K@4.5, 16 GB RAM and a GTX780 (with 6 GB VRAM). Simple question: will going to a GTX1080 (so not a Ti) give me any benefit in XP11, which I run at 1080i...? Anyone here who made a similar switch? Or might I as well go for a GTX1070 (since I will stick with a res of 1920x1080 for now)...?

Last year I tested what a GTX980 would do in my system for Prepar3D compared to a GTX780 and that did absolutely nothing (I only could use a bit higher AA but performance didn't change at all), but well, XP11 is a completely different program so maybe it will benefit already from a 780>1080 upgrade.

I'm not sure but if you're trying to hit a budget window the GTX 1070 would be plenty.

That is what I was going to get coming from a 970 but I was reminded to stay in budget so I'm keeping the 970

Since your 780 already has 6 gb I might just stick with it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm not sure but if you're trying to hit a budget window the GTX 1070 would be plenty.

That is what I was going to get coming from a 970 but I was reminded to stay in budget so I'm keeping the 970

Since your 780 already has 6 gb I might just stick with it

Well, the budget as it is now allows a 1080... but well, if it won't bring me any benefit over a 1070 or even over my current 780 I might as well save the money for later.

I could give you a better view.

I have the gtx1080 since this monday, also 1080p monitor and from my old gtx 760 4GB Vram it's a HUGE difference, almost maxed settings and no FPS problem in XP10 and XP11!

If you already have the money go get it, you will benefit in the feature also, who knows what will came out and you will regret that you went for 1070 instead of 1080.

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

I could give you a better view.

I have the gtx1080 since this monday, also 1080p monitor and from my old gtx 760 4GB Vram it's a HUGE difference, almost maxed settings and no FPS problem in XP10 and XP11!

If you already have the money go get it, you will benefit in the feature also, who knows what will came out and you will regret that you went for 1070 instead of 1080.

Ah, great, info from someone who made a similar switch.  :wink: Interesting!

Ah, great, info from someone who made a similar switch.  :wink: Interesting!

Believe me, with GTX1080 and only 1080p monitor you can keep gaming at max settings for years with 0 problems!!  :wink:

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook