Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Scenery library order changes when I restart P3D

I am having a problem in that every time I restart P3D, the non-ORBX scenery items in the scenery library change position. I have around a dozen non-orbx addon airports, and they should be near the top of the library (i.e., above Open LC and the FTX regions). It is a very labor intensive task to move these airports up near the top, and then when I close and later restart P3D, the non-ORBX airports have moved down again below the FTX regions and Open LC sceneries. So l have to move them up again. Using the FTX Central "scenery insertion point" tool doesn't seem to help because it only seems to address the relative placement of Open LC and FTX regions. Can anyone help?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Hi

I think this is happening because FTX entry is set to the top of your library. In FTX Central, go to the set library insertion points and put FTX directly below the last airport you want it below. Set Open LC below FTX and then when you start your sim next time, check the library. You should see your airports at the top, followed by FTX, followed by OLC.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Stu.

Stuart Furley

Hi,

For some time now I have noticed that the SceneryIndexes folder can become somewhat 'disorganised' every time I install a new ORBX Scenery product that requires a new entry in the Scenery.cfg file. The sceneryindexes should, I assume, match the number of entries in Scenery.cfg. For example, if there are, say, 250 entries in Scenery.cfg then the same number of items should exist in SceneryIndexes. That may well be the case, but check the numbering of each entry corresponds as there are likely to be discrepancies if you have not looked at it for a while. For example, you may see a large block of indexes numbered correctly and incrementally, then the value of an index number jumps by many steps to a much higher value than the one immediately above it and then the numbering continues in sequence starting from that higher value. There might be only one occurrence or several instances.

After a new product has been installed I check Scenery.cfg to confirm all is well and ensure that each Area entry matches its corresponding layer number. If necessary, move the entries around in the P3D Scenery Library to their correct positions. Then I exit P3D, delete the SceneryIndexes folder found at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 and restart P3D to rebuild the Scenery indexes. Now everything will match and should remain stable until your next Scenery product install. Lastly create another back up of Scenery.cfg.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike

Hi,

For some time now I have noticed that the SceneryIndexes folder can become somewhat 'disorganised' every time I install a new ORBX Scenery product that requires a new entry in the Scenery.cfg file. The sceneryindexes should, I assume, match the number of entries in Scenery.cfg. For example, if there are, say, 250 entries in Scenery.cfg then the same number of items should exist in SceneryIndexes. That may well be the case, but check the numbering of each entry corresponds as there are likely to be discrepancies if you have not looked at it for a while. For example, you may see a large block of indexes numbered correctly and incrementally, then the value of an index number jumps by many steps to a much higher value than the one immediately above it and then the numbering continues in sequence starting from that higher value. There might be only one occurrence or several instances.

After a new product has been installed I check Scenery.cfg to confirm all is well and ensure that each Area entry matches its corresponding layer number. If necessary, move the entries around in the P3D Scenery Library to their correct positions. Then I exit P3D, delete the SceneryIndexes folder found at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 and restart P3D to rebuild the Scenery indexes. Now everything will match and should remain stable until your next Scenery product install. Lastly create another back up of Scenery.cfg.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike

Well I have finally figured out how to use FTX Central to organize the scenery library levels. Since all of my non-ORBX airports appeared in one part of the library, I used FTX Central to set FTX entries below the bottom non-ORBX airport, then set Open LC below the FTX entries. I plan to use your technique of editing the scenery.cfg file in future when I purchase a new airport.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

i will try this thank you

scenery order seems to have a mind of its own

jeff storey