Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Can you TO and land the Dash 8 w/ auto-rudder?

The Q400 has a lower nose pitch angle during approach than a jetliner like the 737. This is particularly prevalent at flaps 35, flaps 15 landings are commonplace and easier

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

It's really pretty landing friendly once you get onto what's required.  I really enjoy the Dash 8.  Ultimately once you understand it it is very controllable especially for not having an auto throttle.   The control over taxi speed is extraordinarily excellent--I wish you had that fine control on the PMDG stuff when it comes down to precision low speed handling.  Very easy to get the Dash 8 straight in to a 0.00 - 0.00 stop.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Old topic, but I'll add a few bits having spent some time with it recently.

If you don't want to mess with rudders, stick auto rudder to ON in the P3D Realism Settings.... then go into the maj.ini file and ensure you have the line " Auto rudder effectiveness=1"

Then make sure you have the THIRD (LOWEST IN LIST) option checked, for Steering Control.... I forget what is actually says..... 

Then, I assign an axis or wheel or slider, to Steering Tiller using FSUIPC.

This is the axis needed to taxi the Dash and steer on takeoff roll, up to around 40 mph.

Once you are on take off roll it may be necessary to use the rudder axis to make adjustments... but I find 3 things here are relevant.

1. Most times no adjustment is necessary

2. If it is wandering, fine control of Tiller works just fine... this may depend on how you assign the axis in FSUIPC. YMMV !

3. If you have not reduced or disabled Prop Wash etc. in the config file, applying some rudder trim before take off, is enough to keep things straight until the AP is activated.

I have Rudder and Aileron trims enabled in FSUIPC and assigned to buttons, along with a Centre button for each (I use the 3 switches on my 2nd Saitek Throttle quadrant for this.

As for landing.... it is very similar to the A2A Comanche, in as much as having to ignore everything you know about landing aircraft !

No flare, cut throttle, float ....... opposite of what most people are used to.

The Dash just doesn't do floating..... aim the nose at the numbers at the correct speed (use Aurasim or 100 kias), and flare at 30 feet.

When the wheels hit, cut the throttle and push foward.

It is like landing a fighter jet.

Kid gloves not required... but speed must be bang on.... otherwise you will bounce or drop like a big stoney thing.

Practice and it becomes second nature.

Edited by Gabe777

25 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

flare at 30 feet.

If you flare the Q400 at 30ft you will be in big trouble and/or waste a lot of runway. A Q400 isn't a 747!

Well yes, a little bit of flare is necessary or you will bounce.

But as I alluded to, nothing like a traditional flare, disc throttle and float. See professional tutorial videos.

Maybe one third or even 24 percent of the average, typical flare, with no drop in power. No flare with nose down approach, will hit the nose wheel. Basic geometry.

Being a little pedantic ? There's a shock on Avsim.

Edited by Gabe777

The wings on the Dash 8 are unusual.

If you flare too much, you drop like a stone.... too little you will bounce.

As I said above, you dont flare in the same way as heavies, its less and later. But, powering off simultaneously, is the big no no.

I'm not spending my Sunday arguing the toss about degrees of flare or 15 vs 32.5 feet. For a start there are many variables such as wind, angle of glideslope, how fat the pilots are .... and COG.

(Just Goggle the terms mate. Good day..)

Edited by Gabe777

56 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

The wings on the Dash 8 are unusual.

I'm not spending my Sunday arguing the toss about degrees of flare or 15 vs 32.5 feet. For a start there are many variables such as wind, angle of glideslope, how fat the pilots are .... and COG.

(Just Goggle the terms mate. Good day..)

Didn't notice anything unusual about the wing when flying the Dash7 and the Dash8 IRL. None of your strange arguments necessitates a flare at 30ft

Why should I google COG? This abbreviation doesn't exist in aviation. Perhaps you mean CG?  (also irrelevant concerning flare height btw)

And of course you can do idle landings with the Q400 IRL and with the Majestic one.

Edited by FDEdev

OK, guys...I don't know why this topic was placed in the FSX/FSX-SE forum since most people are referring to P3D settings?  I'll let it continue as long as you keep your posts civil.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I'll let it continue as long as you keep your posts civil.

Oh, oh. Not going to risk anything here, I'm out.