Sign in to follow this  
Noel

How to simply restore 'normal' steering behavior in the Dash 8

SPOILER ALERT:  this message is not for Dash 8 users dedicated to maximum authencity--my caps off to you all, but that's not me, and never will be.  I've been using FSX & P3D for going on 24 years now, and have my own way of enjoying the activity, and I'm sure many more are in the same boat, or plane as the case may be.  Anyway I'm posting this because after quite a bit of googling, searching forums that I don't belong to (haven't been 'invited' to the Majestic forum yet), I never got past 'you really need to use rudder pedals...or a twistable joy stick...' neither of which I have or want to have, to resolve the fact the dang thing won't stay on the runway during takeoff!   So here are the two fixes plain and simple to get you back to what you've enjoyed in every other (or nearly) add on aircraft you've ever used in these simulations:

Go to:  Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\mjc8q400\ini\mjc84.ini, and open mjc84.ini w/ Notepad or other editor.  Perform the following 1 or 2 edits as desired to get the Dash 8 to steer like you're used to IF you use auto-rudder, don't use pedals, etc.

[FLIGHTCONTROLS]

YAW_DUE_TO_PROPWASH     =0.0

Default is 1.0, so if you wish to retain yaw due to prop wash use 1.0

AUTO_RUDDER_FACTOR        =1.0

Default is 0.0.  By using 1.0 you retain the ability to steer the front wheel w/ the ailerons at speeds over 40knots--which is    

what you are used to from flying most every other plane made to work w/ FSX/P3D.

Enjoy, didn't see it plainly elsewhere so I thought I'd share here.

• Upvote 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

There are multiple discussions of the Majestic Software forums addressing this issue.

Cheers

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Yes, but having only just installed the Dash 8Q-400 (and wanting to know the answer to this exact question), I would like to thank Noel for providing it here!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thank you Christopher--the grand prize for the 'Barely Gives a Rip' School of Customer service this year goes to Orbx, and the 'Most Contrary' goes to Majestic :blink:

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

On 03/06/2017 at 7:51 AM, Christopher Low said:

Yes, but having only just installed the Dash 8Q-400 (and wanting to know the answer to this exact question), I would like to thank Noel for providing it here!

Ditto here as I found the topic on this in the MJC Forum so confusing. I know everything else about this aircraft except getting the hang of this weird steering. I'm not a R/W pilot sat there with one hand on the tiller and one hand on the yoke. I'm like Noel, a simple joystick, and please don't talk about that Control Panel.

Has anyone successfully managed to input anything in those boxes marked Output under Flight Controls? I cannot get anything in there!

EDIT: Just tried this mod of yours, Noel. Sadly, it does not make a jot of a difference. There is absolutely no nose-wheel steering, i.e. more than the 8 degrees. Why did I bother buying this P3Dv4 Upgrade when I junked the FSX version of it because it too was the same, useless at taxi-ing?

What issue are you having exactly vc10? I just steer using the nosewheel with aileron axis (that's how it's set by default), and if you've no rudder axis enable autorudder in both the sim and MJC84CPAN and you should be good to go. Oh and make sure the nose wheel steering switch is on!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I cannot get this aircraft to do anything other than go in a straight line with ever the slightest deviation. Not much point me parking this aircraft at a gate if I cannot even make a right turn from push-back. I have the Spoiler switch by the left-hand side set to on, in the Control Panel I have selected Spoiler Axis, but no matter how much I deflect my joystick's aileron axis or use the auto-rudder twist axis, this aircraft happily just carries on in a straight line.

In the VC, I do not see the tiller move at all, no matter how much I twist or yank the joystick left or right.

Auto-rudder in the sim is on, but cannot see auto-rudder in the MJC Control Panel.

I'll go take a look in about an hour when I'm done w/ a flight in a PMDG and see if I can remember what does what as I don't think about it any more.  You presumably put the requisite lines in the .ini file?

Noel

17 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Okay it seems you have two issues at play here:

1) autorudder has to be edited/added in to the MJC84.ini manually as a text entry as detailed in the OP's red text, you can't do it from within the MJC84CPAN. This setting shouldn't effect steering during taxi though.

2) If you have selected to use spoiler axis for the tiller, moving any part of your joystick will do nothing because it's watching the spoiler axis. If you don't have a physical spoiler control connected to your PC and assigned in the sim's control mapping, you should go back to the default CPAN setting of using ailerons for tiller input.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

7 hours ago, ckyliu said:

1) autorudder has to be edited/added in to the MJC84.ini manually as a text entry as detailed in the OP's red text, you can't do it from within the MJC84CPAN. This setting shouldn't effect steering during taxi though.

2) If you have selected to use spoiler axis for the tiller, moving any part of your joystick will do nothing because it's watching the spoiler axis. If you don't have a physical spoiler control connected to your PC and assigned in the sim's control mapping, you should go back to the default CPAN setting of using ailerons for tiller input.

1)Done precisely that. Auto_Rudder_Factor= 1.0 was already showing that, so did not have to edit.

2)Noted, will try that.

Thanks for all that. That's the only thing that ruins it for me in this marvellous aircraft.

19 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Just want to say a big Thank You. All working now as per your instructions, and at last I'm on a flight to LOWI.

NWS at last, Yipee!!

• Upvote 1

A smile :smile: on me for having successfully made a flight EGCC-LOWI with ASP4 and everything nailed.

Now...................if only Orbx will release my purchased LOWI for P£Dv4, I'd be over the moon.

Glad I could be of assistance :) Enjoy it, she's a great bird 

support1.jpg

Chris, if you could assist me importing a PFPX-created flightplan into the FMS.........................now, that I would call icing on the cake.

Sadly you've reached the limits of my knowledge as I'm not a PFPX user, I use Simbrief and key-in manually.

I have heard it's possible by exporting in one format then using other software to save it in Majestic's, there's one tool at http://majesticsoftware.com/forums/discussion/2549/create-fms-loadable-flight-plans-from-fsc-routefinder-and-other-sources-with-fprconverter/p1 that may work

support1.jpg