Sign in to follow this  
FlyingGoblin

SpaceNavigator 3D mouse uncontrollable camera

I was able to assign all the axes in the settings, but when I enable chase plane there is already a constant input to several axes. I tried slowing down the speed, but that just results in a slow sinking spiral that I can't correct. I calibrated the SpaceNavigator, but that didn't help. Where might those inputs be coming from?

Hi,

SpaceNavigator dictates a direct position matrix (a bit like TrackIR) and will require us to write some code to support their API.

I have added it to the list for integration after v1.0

Regards,

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Not knowing about this thread, I also tried 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator today, thinking it will be the perfect companion to ChasePlane. However, I had exactly the same result as FlyingGoblin, and came here for the solution. I'm using TrackIR and there is clearly a conflict (jarring image and violent random camera movement), even if I disable TrackIr in the ChasePlane camera setting for the particular view where I want to use the SpaceNavigator.

Hope this is still on the to-do list at FSFX Packages, or has there been an update since this thread?

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

I can imagine. Well, I may have a reprieve for you ;-)  I dug around a bit further and found very few posts about anyone using the SpaceNavigator in any flight simulator. Looks like there is only a handful of us even looking at it and no success stories.

What I did find was a lot of people using the Razer Orbweaver or Tartarus. Seems like it works perfectly and even some pros like Froogle use it with ChasePlane already. So I may go the Razer route instead and save myself (and you) a lot of headaches.

Once again thank you for your quick response!

• Upvote 1

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

I have done some tests with 3Dconnexion 

I have bin getting some type of limited function 

"best result is to set it up as TrackIR . it it is still way to sensitive and rotation axes has some type of 90 deg shift? But x,y,z is working. Main problem with the TrackIR  mode is that you basically move the base of the coordinate system. So any presets is move!!!!! accordingly to changes in origo of coordinate system   . So work (sort of) but not useful)  What needed is a type of 3D mice mode like TrackIR  

If not using TrackIR  mode there is a bit odd behavior. It takes any input in a axes accelerating in one direction. If setting up Backwards (Y axes -> - values) any Y axes + values is ignored, therefore the accelerating behavior. The input that comes from the 3Dconnexion is most likely so "neurotic" that CP have no chance to calibrate the signal 

Looks like 3Dconnexion has a dev kit that most likely will make this work 

A fast fix can be to create 3Dconnexion mode from the TrackIR code. reduce reduce the sensitivity by like 1/3 remove any axes changes. And let go of changing the origo of coordinate system. That way all presets are unchanged. Obvious you should be able to changes or create presets the normal way ;-)

I know one thing for sure the combo ChasePlane and  3Dconnexion will be a real killer. When getting into the right movement of the mice I think it become a TrackIR  killer 

I will more then gladly help you on testing the use of 3Dconnexion with ChasePlane 

Hope this help a bit to make this combo work

Styrk H Finne

• Upvote 1

Yes, I agree with Styrk, the 3DConnexion will be a killer. I've recently acquired a Razer Tartarus (very similar to the Orbweaver) and I find that I'm hardly using it with ChasePlane. It is like having just another little keyboard further out (next to the throttle in my case). While it is slightly easier to find the keys on the Razer due to its smaller and more compact size, it is still not instant nor intuitive for me and not much of an improvement over just using the normal keyboard. Perhaps one needs a lot more practice on it and one day it will "click", but I'm not there yet and believe that the 3DConnexion will be a much more intuitive controller.