Sign in to follow this  
Alessandrov81

P3D V3 suggested secondary addons

Greeting!

after 3 years of flight simming i'm enjoying my flight sim hardware and software which is right now:

- P3D V3

- I7 4790K/GTX970

- Thrustmaster T16000M

- TFRP Rudder Pedals

- Many ORBX Sceneries (almost all of them...)

- REX 4 TD + Softclouds

- Active Sky Next

- All A2A's planes i want (don't really need any other plane for now)

I like flying GA slow with A2A's GA planes or fast with their Warbirds (most).

I'm now asking myself if i should buy something more such:

1) AS16 (upgrade from ASN)

2) Ezdok v2

3) Flight1 GTN or other simulated GPS

4) MY TRAFFIC 6 (i have just ORBX NA traffic which is just for NA/GA)

5) or maybe a throttle (really liked pedals but dunno if the throttle could increase so much immersion...)

6) something else i'm missing...?

What do the experts suggest? Just now i cannot buy them all :-)

Thank you very much for the content of this forum: very useful.

Safe Skies

All comes down to your personal preference.

IMHO Ezdok/V2 is overrated with its clumsy interface and all the shakes effects which really IMHO break immersion as they are usually not realistic (at least on the youtube videos) [i will probably get shot for saying that, but hey, be brave]

Some solid GPS is something I considered in the past too, although I'm jet flier so I didn't really need it yet. MT 6.0 is cool if you have no time to set up traffic, WOAI is IMHO a great alternative (I didn't have enough patience but if you do, results are much better quality-wise).

AS16 Is a jump from ASN IMHO, but with REX Skyforce coming I would hold.

Judging by your probable expectations (A2A aircrafts user, so you look for maximum realism, living plane) you should IMHO get Yoke and Throttle lever as soon as possible. None of my software addons added so much immersion as those two did (plus TrackIR 5 but that you can safely get in future). Only time I'm still using joystick is when flying the BUS.

Offcourse - that's just my opinion, ultimately you'll be the one to pick.

• Upvote 1

If you don't have Ezdok, I would definitely recommend it. I haven't tried version 2 yet, but after using version 1 for some time now, I actually can't work without it. I agree with Tomasz about the effects though. The shaking and turbulence is more annoying than immersive, and it can lead to you not clicking switches properly etc, so I tend to switch all these effects off. But as a camera tool it's a necessity as far as I'm concerned.

I have MyTraffic 6. To be honest, getting it installed properly in P3D takes a bit of work, but once it's installed it works well. A traffic addon is essential in my opinion to add a bit of realism. There's another traffic addon (World of AI) which will also work. In fact the AI traffic textures look a lot better with WOAI than MyTraffic. However, WOAI isn't designed for P3D. Many people can get it to work fine, but others have reported issues, particularly with lights. So when I moved from FSX to P3D, I just bought MyTraffic 6 and it does what it's supposed to do. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

EZDok v2

Paid version of Fsuipc

PTA

Many thanks for your answers!

Like i expected i understand that i am missing something:

1) how FSUIPC is so necessary? Does it significantly boost performance ? So better ui? I know little about it.

2) PTA and other freeware shaders addon? I'm going to download and see... fps hit?

3) Ezdok seems very complex and not user friendly and the cost is high... i think i'll wait, morevoer because i'm lazy or better i have a little time to spend in the evening...

4) mt6 and woai... really interested (i like very much messing in traffic in na with orbx one) but don't know if my system can keep 30/40 fps with that (i cannot fly at 20 fps) what is their the fps impact?

All in all i suspect that the best advice could be to buy a throttle and yoke...when i had to add rudder pedals *twist function of t16000 got broken) i realized i was missing a lot...

regarding the yoke i did not buy it yet because i fly 70% warbirds 30% piper/cessna and i don't think the yoke is good for p51d... am i wrong? And you need a lot of room to place it? a throttle alone... mmm well it seems less relevant and spend 70$ for it... also combining it with t16000 seems uncomfortable?

Thanks again for your insights!

Like i expected i understand that i am missing something:

1) how FSUIPC is so necessary? Does it significantly boost performance ? So better ui? I know little about it.

It's not necessary, and no, it doesn't boost performance (as far as I'm aware) However it's very useful to have. You can calibrate your joystick a lot better/finer than the standard P3D calibration setup. You can assign buttons a lot easier. AND you can set profiles for every aircraft if you want. There are many other features with it too, but personally I don't really use them. To put it simply, it's an interface that allows external software comunicate with P3D, such as ATC addons, rather than using the standard Simconnect.

2) PTA and other freeware shaders addon? I'm going to download and see... fps hit?

Never noticed a hit on framerate with PTA. However, be aware, that in order to get a visual benefit from PTA, you will need to have reasonably high graphical settings, terrain shadows on and HDR lighting on. Of course these will all affect performance. On the other hand, if you have all these features already enabled, using PTA shouldn't make a difference. It's completely free, so you can try for yourself and see what you think. If you don't like it, chuck it in the bin. Just make sure you restore the original shaders first, (it explains how to do this in the instructions).

3) Ezdok seems very complex and not user friendly and the cost is high... i think i'll wait, morevoer because i'm lazy or better i have a little time to spend in the evening...

I won't lie. It can be frustrating to set it up. And you have to be careful where you install it. I'm speaking about version 1 (like I said earlier I haven't bought version 2 yet but I will). But I promise once you get it up and running you'll love it. It's so easy to move around the cockpit and outside the aircraft, without using the clunky P3D default method. I've done a few new builds in PCs and everytime I reinstall P3D, the first addon I always install is Ezdok, without fail.

4) mt6 and woai... really interested (i like very much messing in traffic in na with orbx one) but don't know if my system can keep 30/40 fps with that (i cannot fly at 20 fps) what is their the fps impact?

To be honest, MT6 or WOAI in themselves won't affect your framerate. However, the more traffic that you are using (in the settings menu) the more it will affect your performance. Having said that, the same is true if you're using the default AI traffic. From a visual point of view, all you will see is just authentic liveries on all traffic, and you will only see liveries at a particular airport if that particular airline flies there in real life.

The only thing I will say, is that traffic addons WILL slow down the INITIAL loading time of P3D.

Of course, all the above points are based on my own personal experiences, so it's impossible to tell if the same will be true for your system. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I've said anything misleading.

As for the yoke and throttles, well only you can answer that. Personally I don't consider myself "hardcore" enough to bother with anything like that. I'm still using my 15 year old Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. It's a yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals all rolled into one. It cost me about 20 quid and it's been working perfectly since windows XP  lol

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Thanks very much Neal and thanks also to Glynn and Mephic!

I have just installed PTA WOW! What a fantastic addon and i would not know it without this forum

I fly with quite high graphic settings (terrain shadows also) so it is a great boost!

I also fly with 20-40% traffic so i think for now i will by MT6 or WOAI (looking for more info about that on the web)... someday i will also try EZDOK, i promise!

what a great moment for flight sim!

safe skies

Thanks very much Neal and thanks also to Glynn and Mephic!

I have just installed PTA WOW! What a fantastic addon and i would not know it without this forum

I fly with quite high graphic settings (terrain shadows also) so it is a great boost!

I also fly with 20-40% traffic so i think for now i will by MT6 or WOAI (looking for more info about that on the web)... someday i will also try EZDOK, i promise!

what a great moment for flight sim!

safe skies

Glad you like PTA. It's true, the higher the graphical settings you use, the more you will get out of PTA.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough