Sign in to follow this  
hjwalter

White blotches

Hi Guys,

Suddenly and after many years of FS9-ing I suddenly see box-like white blotches in (addon) scenery areas all over the world, especially when panning around in spot plane view at around 200 ft AGL. These blotches appear and disappear in quick succession and seem to have something to do with autogen trees because, after the blotches have disappeared, the terrain concerned is somehow devoid of trees, shrubs, etc. Addon trees at e.g. airports/airfields do not seem to be effected.

One or more corrupted default textures maybe ? Ideas anyone ?

I thank you in advance for any help.

Hans

Well guys, after a few days nobody seems to have any direct answers but it now seems that autogen tree textures, may not be mipped. Alpha channels --> no problem but it's the mipped autogen tree textures which seem to cause the white blotches. Strange, because I've always thought that scenery and AI plane textures should ALWAYS be mipped. Why ? Because you always view them at varying distances and that there is no reason for a graphics card to fully need to render them when very far away. WRONG in the case of autogen trees, at least that's what it now seems.

Can any of you experts confirm this ?

Hans

Dunno, mipmapping everything and have great results.

But I have my mipmap in FS at 7.

Hi Guys,

....One or more corrupted default textures maybe ? Ideas anyone ?

I thank you in advance for any help.

Hans

Does it look like the screen shot here? Sounds like your default autogen tree texture file has gone missing. This happened to me.  It is easily fixed by either finding the texture sheet from your installation disks or finding a replacement in the library.  It is likely that the trees you see at addon airports are not linked to the default tree textures so that is why those don't appear as white blotches.

I think mips are ok, trees don't display in certain bmp formats. DXT3 if I can remember correctly. You can open the files (treessu.bmp, treeshw.bmp. treessp.bmp, treeswi.bmp, treesfa.bmp in the fs9/textures directory) with dxtBMP and resave them in dxt1 format. I think 16bit textures work as well.

Cheers,
Sascha

Gaputz,

Yes, that's exactly what the white "blotches" look(ed) like.and they only appear for a fraction of a second with no trees being displayed afterwards.

Anyway guys, I had already suspected that the default autogen tree textures were somehow to blame and from your thankful reactions I can now dig up the originals from the CDs, while at the same time having a good look at their formats, their alpha channels and whether or not they are mipped.

Thanks for your help.

Hans