Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

FS Global Ultimate Next Generation

I had my installed several days ago, replaced the global ultimate couldn't see much different of the previous except loading times.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

An excellent comparison. To my surprise (which I posted about here before) the flatter areas are the ones where FS Global Ultimate NG really shines. Whereas with default mesh and even the previous FS Global products, flatter areas  of river valleys are just that, perfectly flat. With NG, these areas show crenulations. It's not a striking difference as is seen in mountainous areas, but it does make a difference in the way that one perceives the ground, especially at low altitudes.

Hi Markw,

I think that was a very good and fair review. Excellent work and a good service.

A couple of things -- you're description in the download says it's a review for FreeMeshX instead of Pilot's Next Gen Ultimate mesh. Also, there should be zero anomalies in the Tennessee area with FreeMeshX installed. It shouldn't touch that area whatsoever. You would only be seeing the default mesh there.

I really appreciate you featuring my work and comparing it to the big boys. It means a lot to me. I also am grateful you quoted my reasons for why I had not included a USA mesh because of the plateau issue that is inherent to airports in those more hilly areas -- although it can happen outside of the USA as well -- such as that one Irish airport example.

I would also like to see more comparisons of remote regions, such as South America, SE Asia, etc., but I by no means want come of as pushy  :smile: 

Excellent review Marc, thank you very much indeed.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Word of caution

Got to the end of the installation, without any errors, at which point the installer asks if I wanted to install the Bathymetry mesh. No indication is given of the additional data space requirements. My initial inclination was to go for it whereupon I was asked to reinsert Disk 1. Then I had second thoughts as it was more likely that I would never need it, so decided to cancel. Bad move! An error was displayed and everything then rolled back and I have had to start all over again. Hmm!

Has anyone installed the Bathymetry component of this installation? Is it worth doing? If so, how much additional space is needed?

Mike

I installed the Bathymetry mesh and the extra data it needs is just from Disk1. Not that much extra space needed, but I have a 2TB RAID0 SSD array, so your spare space may be different to mine...

Thank you Marc for this excellent review.

I was about to ask here for comparison shots.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I installed the Bathymetry mesh and the extra data it needs is just from Disk1. Not that much extra space needed, but I have a 2TB RAID0 SSD array, so your spare space may be different to mine...

Yes, you are right. Second time around I bit the bullet and installed the Bathymetry data. Only Disk 1 was needed and it completed quite quickly. Although we were told that the total installation requires 80GB, in fact the total comes to a few gigs above 60GB on my setup. Can someone else confirm this is correct?

Now, was it worth it? You bet, this is a huge step up from PILOTS previous offering! Remember to set your Mesh slider to 1m and also they recommend Tesselation is set to High. I went for a flight in the Alps starting from Interlaken Military. Fall, midday and fair weather. Take off in the F22 Raptor and climb left up the gorge towards a fork then bear right and you will see the Wengen plateau high on the left. Sadly, Wengen itself has not been modelled by LM. Continue on up and you will approach the Jungfrau and Eiger up ahead. Cross the gap between the two (the Jungfraujoch) and the Great Aletsch Glacier appears below. Now, follow the glacier and the majesty of the Alps, as defined by this new Elevation Mesh, spreads out around you for as far as the eye can see. At this point, you will be kicking yourself if you haven't installed the Terra Emergence Project (TEP). Don't fly too high, just high enough to be able to admire all those wonderful texture and Mesh enhancements. A truly glorious experience! Even better if you have had the foresight to install one of Adam's recent PTA Presets along with a decent set of Sky textures - I am using those provided by ENVTEX.

Enjoy, you won't regret this purchase and there appears to be little or no impact on performance. In fact, dare I say it, I thought performance seemed, if anything, better than before. So far I have found only positives. Will be removing FS Global 2010 later today.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Markw,

I think that was a very good and fair review. Excellent work and a good service.

A couple of things -- you're description in the download says it's a review for FreeMeshX instead of Pilot's Next Gen Ultimate mesh. Also, there should be zero anomalies in the Tennessee area with FreeMeshX installed. It shouldn't touch that area whatsoever. You would only be seeing the default mesh there.

I really appreciate you featuring my work and comparing it to the big boys. It means a lot to me. I also am grateful you quoted my reasons for why I had not included a USA mesh because of the plateau issue that is inherent to airports in those more hilly areas -- although it can happen outside of the USA as well -- such as that one Irish airport example.

I would also like to see more comparisons of remote regions, such as South America, SE Asia, etc., but I by no means want come of as pushy  :smile:

Thanks for your comments, I was trying to make sure I came across fairly as I really do appreciate your work and the fact that it is a freeware product.  I will double check the Tennessee shots just to make sure there are no anomolies.  As for screenshots of other remote regions that is also a good idea and I may do that as an addendum to the review.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I had my installed several days ago, replaced the global ultimate couldn't see much different of the previous except loading times.

Hi Angeli 662,

is the performance (VAS, fps) any different compared to FS Global Ultimate. I am quite happy with the optics of the latter, so that wouldn't make me purchase the new product. However, a performance improvement definitely would.

Thanks,

Peter

Any idea, how FS Global Ultimate Next Generation is, compared to FS Global Ultimate? Size-wise, they're about the same, as far as I can see...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Posted elsewhere on these forums, however, wanted to let you all know I did a review of the product that you can find on Avsim here:  http://www.avsim.com...mate-ng-review/

I read your review. Like you, I didn't realize that the USA was not included. After reading closely, they claim that the terrain will be "enhanced" by FS Global. How can that be? I've read many good things about the product, but I feel somewhat mislead. Typically, if something is "global", it covers the whole planet. I'll wait till delivery to see how it works out. Just my initial thoughts.

Bill W 

USA is included, it's the FreeMeshX that does not include USA, read the review again.

From Mark's review

"FreeMeshX - North America updates Canada and Greenland (and some parts of Alaska). I didn't include a USA portion
because that is really a whole new animal and new dataset to work with."

I read your review. Like you, I didn't realize that the USA was not included. After reading closely, they claim that the terrain will be "enhanced" by FS Global. How can that be? I've read many good things about the product, but I feel somewhat mislead. Typically, if something is "global", it covers the whole planet. I'll wait till delivery to see how it works out. Just my initial thoughts.

Bill W 

Just to clarify....USA is not included in FreemeshX.....it is definitely included in FS Global Ultimate NG.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

When you click on that link, and before clicking on the 'Download' button, there is some plain text stating:

"This is a review of FreeMeshX for FSX/Prepar3D."

Now, while the review does include some comparisons of FreeMeshX with FS Global Ultimate Next Generation in areas of the world covered by both, that text is immediately misleading and, if possible, should be changed to avoid any confusion.

Mike