Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Performance hit with one of the tweaks

HI 

Not sure which tweak causes it, but I get significant performance drop (FPS) when using PTA in overcast conditions when it's sunrise or sunset. (must be something related to cloud shadows). It causes even 50% FPS hit, not sure why. Which tweak might it be? 

• Upvote 1

It causes even 50% FPS hit, not sure why. Which tweak might it be?

Hi Tomasz

I've tested the overcast conditions and found that FPS drops caused by "Clouds shadows Extended size" tweak. I'll add a notice to the tweak description.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Here some screenshots (4K resolution monitor, i6700K@4.5GHz, DDR4 3200 16GB, GTX1080 OC, P3D on Samsung 850 Pro SSD):

my PTA preset is active (with "Clouds shadows Extended size" tweak is ON) :

Tweakedday_5488215_24765065.jpg

Tweakedtwi_9170641_24765064.jpg

my PTA preset is active (WITHOUT "Clouds shadows Extended size" tweak) :

Tweakedday_3751374_24765179.jpg

Tweakedtwi_5162452_24765066.jpg

Please note also that removing this adjustment from your preset does not mean that you get the same FPS at noon and twilight (when the shadows become huge due to low sun altitude).

The significant FPS drop in overcast conditions when it's sunrise or sunset and "Enable terrain receive shadows" setting is ON is a P3D feature by design.

Here is the default P3D (no PTA or another tweaks):

Defaultday_3306130_24765068.jpg

Defaulttwi_8517582_24765069.jpg

regards,

I forgot about it as I rebuilt my cfg. It's easy to be fixed. All that needs to be modified is ground shadow texture size in p3d cfg (I think default is 512 or 1024, after changing it to 256 performance goes up! )

Great!

After altering CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE to 256 instead of 512 I got FPS boost from 23 to 37 at the same conditions (overcast + twilight) with tweak "Clouds shadows Extended size" is ON.

Degradation in the shadows rendering with 256 is not noticed so far.

Thanks for the tip!

Yes, I remember I found this fix on HiFi (AS16) forum. They were really helpful back then, glad it helped you too! 

Great!

After altering CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE to 256 instead of 512 I got FPS boost from 23 to 37 at the same conditions (overcast + twilight) with tweak "Clouds shadows Extended size" is ON.

Degradation in the shadows rendering with 256 is not noticed so far.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi Yuri,

is this found in the P3D.cfg file? I'm having similar problems with overcast conditions and this could be the answer to my problems lol. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.