Sign in to follow this  

Aerofly FS 2: Airbus 320 'tutorial'

Right now the AP of the Airbus doesn't completely work as it should but it does more than you'd expect and it is very well possible to fly with it. Because some things are not working propely right now (it is being worked in) I made some sort of tutorial on how to set things up in order to do a proper flight without very odd things happening (like diving into the ground when you enable the AP after take off),

Take off

- check T.O. config, make sure everything is green (Autobrake to MAX, flaps 1, arm ground spoiler)
- turn on FD (no need to set both)
- set desired altitude (do NOT push or pull the knob!)
- set desired V/S (do NOT push or pull the knob!): I use 3500
- do NOT touch SPD and HDG which should both show --- (after enabling the FD)
- set full throttle and take off

- gear up at positive climb
- A/THR on
- AP1 on: it will keep the HDG for now (should be runway heading automatically) and start to climb using set V/S
- press SPD (to go to managed mode: check the dot to the right of the display)
- press HDG (to go to managed NAV mode: check the dot to the right of the display)
- press ALT (to go to managed climb: check the dot to the right of the display): the plane will level of at first (for quite some time) but than continue to climb

- flaps up at S on the speedtape whenever that happens during the above

The above steps from A/THR to ALT can be done in quick succession.

Landing (this is a WIP because right now because I am not entirely sure how the ALT works: it seems a bit different everytime: will check on that later)

- set desired altitude (I use 3000) and press the ALT knob at the TOD to start descent

- since there is no TOD: you will descend around 4000 ft per 10 nm so calculate when you need to go down

- at a certain moment the speed (all this in managed mode) will drop (not at the right time but well...)

- set flaps 1 at the green dot on the speed tape

- set flaps 2 at S on the speed tape

- lower the gear

- flaps 3 and 4 at the F on the speed tape

- set Autobrake to MED and arm ground spoilers

- turn of AP1 when on final (I usually do it 2nm out)

- leave A/THR on!

- a callout of 20 ft throttle full back (retard)

- land!

Again, this isn't yet finished, specially the descent part, so if you have tips... :wink: Also take note that in the end things should work different because right now the Airbus isn't finished yet. But at least this will get you going.

But at least this will get you going.

Great, this is a really good initiative!  :smile:

Too bad the forum locks posts after a bit. Makes it impossible to go back in and edit the original as information/links/etc are updated, and eventually you can have a mess.

And I have a hunch some of this info will be changing as you speak to the devs.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Too bad the forum locks posts after a bit. Makes it impossible to go back in and edit the original as information/links/etc are updated, and eventually you can have a mess.

And I have a hunch some of this info will be changing as you speak to the devs.

Too bad indeed. However, the info I posted won't really change as I speak to the devs because I spoke with Jan already: but it certainly/hopefully will change as the planes are being updated. My list above is more of a work around to get things done right now and not how things should be done: the later simply isn't possible yet.

I have to add that this is a problem with early access, specially when a large part of your target is non-simmers... Those newbies have no clue how things work and if they do find out how to get things working in the current version, they will have to unlearn a lot later on when things have been updated... They are learning wrong things now (in some regards).

Very good J! Reminds me of your enthusiastic essays with MS FLIGHT!  Allways very useful!

Thx for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Reminds me of your enthusiastic essays with MS FLIGHT!

Well, actually... with AFS2 I do indeed feel some of that same excitement myself. I also had to think about those MS Flight days! Some sort of feeling something new and good was going to happen. I think it also has to do with the similar ease of use and good performance etc. I do sincerely hope AFS2 won't crash my dreams as MS Flight did...!

Helped Progrmr out with somebody stealing his videos on Youtube, and afterwards linked him your tutorial because while he often does Aerofly videos, he also often seems slightly lost in how the controls work in that sim.

Now he's back with a new vid, and I'm thinking your tutorial may have helped. (A bit)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Ah, good to hear! I will give that Learjet a try myself the coming days and see if the Airbus-Aerofly AP logic applies to this one too.  :wink: Must look awesome in VR!  :smile:

Interesting video btw: pity that a lot of what I see is hard to implement while using the Rift... Noting all VORs and headings, checking charts... can't do that in VR. That is a shame. I have read about VR desktop apps that you can call up in any game: would that work? Anyone has any experience with this? I do like flights with VOR only, triangulation, etc, and would love being able to do that using the Rift. (I suppose I could switch to the Nav map every now and then but that totally spoils immersion...)

Great tutorual, thanks!

Thanks for the compliment. And you're very welcome. ;)