Sign in to follow this  
CaptLou

Take-0ff speed Turning Radius

Hi:  This has been bothering me for some time.  Started with FS9 and now am using FSX-SE on a new computer. (Win 10)  It takes aircraft too long to take-off.  Sometimes it is well beyond the end of the runway before leaving the ground.  This is unrealistic.  Watching aircraft at my local airport would indicate they need to pick up speed faster in the flite sim.

The other problem is the turning radius.  I have yet to be in a real aircraft that cannot do a 380 turn at the end of the runway yet in flite sim I constantly have to revert to the slew mode to make the turn.

Are there some easy, not overly technical methods to correct this?

Depends on the particular aircraft you are using.  I have found that the TDS 737s need a whole lot of up elevator trim to get 'em off the ground.  380 degree turn??  You would wind up only 20 degrees past a

full 360 degree turn.  Are you using any type of controller for your aircraft or just the keyboard?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi: This has been bothering me for some time. Started with FS9 and now am using FSX-SE on a new computer. (Win 10) It takes aircraft too long to take-off. Sometimes it is well beyond the end of the runway before leaving the ground. This is unrealistic. Watching aircraft at my local airport would indicate they need to pick up speed faster in the flite sim.

The other problem is the turning radius. I have yet to be in a real aircraft that cannot do a 380 turn at the end of the runway yet in flite sim I constantly have to revert to the slew mode to make the turn.

Are there some easy, not overly technical methods to correct this?

There could be a few things at play here but you'll need to be more specific as to what aircraft and airport/runway you're struggling to get airborne at.

First, it could be that your controllers are not calibrated correctly to provide full rudder/nose wheel turn to be able to make a 360 degree turn in a sufficient amount of space. If your throttle is not set up correctly you might not be getting full takeoff power. Hard to say because you haven't stated what type of controllers you're using for rudders and throttle.

Second, your takeoff problem could be due to the aircraft being overloaded with fuel and/or passengers/cargo making the plane too heavy to achieve takeoff speed within the length of the runway.

You'll need to provide more info to get a better diagnosis, such as plane, controllers used, aircraft load, etc.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree with the above. We need a little more info to go on. The default Cessna 172 in my version of FSX starts with nose down trim setting and I always have to reset it to takeoff position otherwise I get a very long ground run.

Thanks for the quick responses.  I did mean 360 degree turn, sorry.  I use CH Flight Sim Yoke and pedals.  My home airport is Thunder Bay, ON with the Simaddons  version installed for FSX-SE.  The problem also shows up at other FS addon as well as generic airports.  I installed the Aerobot 154 C-150 by Bob Chicilo and this works excellently.  That is' it takes off like the Cesnas I watch at the local airport.   Haven't had a chance to fly yet so will respond again after trying your advice.