jt233

Buying a realistic FMC

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but I figured you might know more about this. My ultimate dream would be to be able to build a full cockpit but that would be too expensive. I can't seem to find it but I have seen a real working FMC that you plug into the computer for around $500 it would be cool to have the feeling of pushing real buttons. My question is how does this FMC work with my various add-ons. For Example, I have the PMDG 747 and the Level D 767. If I'm flying one one aircraft or another will the FMC be setup for that aircraft? If I'm flying the 767 will the FMC show that I'm flying the 767 and if I were to enter a wrong zfw would it have the data for the max weights for each aircraft and tell me if I entered something wrong? I recently got some extra money and would love to upgrade my flight deck.

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I doubt you will find any CDU (FMC as you call it) that will work as Plug&Play for the airplanes you mentioned. But, I could be wrong.

There are many CDUs out on the market. Check the vendor web sites to see which airplane they supports before you buy.

There are also some minor differences between the airplanes CDU.

All hardware CDU for flightsim I know are just dumb devices. All functionallity is within the airplane software. So entering ZFW that is wrong will be handled by the airplane software.  

I have good experience with the Opencockpits B737 CDU and you can use it when flying the PMDG airplanes ( B737NGX, B777 and soon B747v3), but you need a software driver program to get it working.

Example of such program can be found here: http://www.flightsim4fun.com

I doubt you will find any CDU (FMC as you call it) that will work as Plug&Play for the airplanes you mentioned. But, I could be wrong.

There are many CDUs out on the market. Check the vendor web sites to see which airplane they supports before you buy.

There are also some minor differences between the airplanes CDU.

All hardware CDU for flightsim I know are just dumb devices. All functionallity is within the airplane software. So entering ZFW that is wrong will be handled by the airplane software.  

I have good experience with the Opencockpits B737 CDU and you can use it when flying the PMDG airplanes ( B737NGX, B777 and soon B747v3), but you need a software driver program to get it working.

Example of such program can be found here: http://www.flightsim4fun.com

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you clarify about plug n play? I can't remember the name of the company that makes the CDU that I'm looking for. But it cost around $500 I think it is a dumb system as you describe and just displays the info from fmc in the sim. I know it's generic unit but I was wondering from a program perspective how it works and displays the info. The one I'm thinking of seemed like it just worked through usb or display port. Do you have any idea what product I could be thinking of?

Thanks.

Your sim preferences sound like mine - want to fly high end payware add-on aircraft and not be tied down to just one type.  Would you consider my setup - I use an old Android tablet and iPads plus the Virtual Avionics apps to have a nearly life size CDU, which works with PMDG 737, 747, 777.  Not real buttons I know but well within your budget. 

Mike

Guys, make your own. Simple, easy to interface with cards like EPIC and others. I can provide my ACad files I designed after spending countless hours in the 757. Several companies can cut your parts using a laser. I used Pololu out of Las Vegas. Tell then what you need. In my case, I requested them to cut the parts, send them to me. I painted them Boeing brown and returned them. They then shortened the laser throw and engraved everything. When it was all said and done I probably only spent 145 dollars making the CDU including the 69 microswitches and display. CDU Example

Mitch