Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Aeroelasticity in AEFS2 !

Check for yourself:

http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/7760-Flight-model-and-joints?p=36519

What can I say other than what I posted there at that thread ?

AEFS2 IS THE WAY TO GO!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What is Aeroelasticity ? DCS is the BEST

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

It's the fact that aircraft surfaces bend, and their properties change with that bending... Usually although they can bend graphically in most sims, the actual effects of that bending aren't simulated in as far as the  Flight Dynamics model goes.

They are by default in AEFS2 if you use the right "hooks" to build your models for AEFS2.

This is why even the default aircraft, and even at the early beta stage, aircraft feel so nice to "fly" in AEFS2...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Ok got it. ya there should be an effect in the aerodynamics as the whole structure at that moment has a change. Well that could be done by using BET right ? 

What about wake ? this is one thing i have never noticed ever in my siming time except in the Mig. Maybe the other sims model it but tbh i never noticed it even when taking off after a 737 has just got airborne. 

IL.2, just as Rise of Flight, model it nicely :-) ( wake effects )

Condorsoaring and Silentwings did to, and I could actually feel the kind of turbulence I get when getting too low on the tow...

Main Simulation Rig:

I think it's time other sims did that too , hey it's part of flying.

Flight Unlimited 3 simulated wake turbulence :dirol:

I don't remember if I had FU3 , had many flight sims but few of them i guess slipped from my fingers.

Flight Unlimited 3 simulated wake turbulence :dirol:

Yes it did!  And very plausibly !!! I loved it, specially when trying to demonstrate other simmers the dangers of taxiing your "Cessna" behind a turbofan ...

Main Simulation Rig:

I experienced it in flight several times. A P51 Mustang shot past me from the opposite direction on one occasion (I was in a Beechcraft Baron), and suddenly my plane was rocking about all over the place!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Usually although they can bend graphically in most sims, the actual effects of that bending aren't simulated in as far as the  Flight Dynamics model goes.

X-Plane also models the aerodynamics effects of wing bending (i.e. the wing forces are applied to the bent wing), and the wing is the main responsible for aeroelastic effects.

Although from what I see, the degree of control in AeroflyFS is higher, since every single joint can deform and produce aeroelastic effects.

That being said, I have a feeling that modeling aeroelastic effects in an accurate manner is extremely difficult (it's one of the most complex subjects in aerodynamic engineering). In a certain sense, if one has real flight test data available, it's probably easier to model it with stability derivatives (like professional simulators do, and like MSFS allows for some of them).

That being said, the flight and physics model in AeroflyFS is really nice, but once again, let's dispel that myth that you have a definitive flight model where you throw in the real geometry, and you get a 100% accurate virtual aircraft. But yes, AeroflyFS flight model is nice, although, as any other, it has limitations.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Check for yourself:

http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/7760-Flight-model-and-joints?p=36519

What can I say other than what I posted there at that thread ?

AEFS2 IS THE WAY TO GO!

A developer also gave further details on the flight model (see the thread on lift curve slope in the developers subforum).

Very nice flight model... I see good potential. :smile:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

A developer also gave further details on the flight model (see the thread on lift curve slope in the developers subforum).

Very nice flight model... I see good potential. :smile:

Yep! Just saw that too Murmur :good: 

Main Simulation Rig:

Talking of flight models.....I have been enjoying landing approaches at various airports in the Learjet 45, and I noticed that when I cut the power shortly before touchdown, the nose of the aircraft pitches up ever so slightly. With those relatively high mounted engines at the back, that is exactly what should happen.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, the pitching moments are also noticeable in the 737 and even the Airbus - which certainly has them IRL even being FBW...

I remember a jumpseat landing at EDDF 05R where the crew kept making manual power adjustments and, I remember that the only sim ( appart from the full motion TAP LevelD simulator ) I ever felt that sensation in an A320 model was AEFS2. Aerowinx PSX also has it nicely modeled for the 744 !

Main Simulation Rig: