Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Upgrade Inbound, Landing Checklist

Update: all components installed and working except the ssd as per above, but I took Yang's advice and will clone my temporary drive to the ssd when it arrives this week.

I'm currently stress testing a 4.8ghz overclock with Aida64. 20 minutes in the max temperatures are 68c with voltage maxing out at 1.32. This is with hyper threading off.

In terms of p3d performance, I tested a scenario:

PMDG 777-200LR

Flytampa CYYZ gate 180

Orbx global

Utx Canada

As16 real weather (currently very foggy with dense clouds in Toronto)

Full air traffic (limited to 100 aircraft with fsuipc)

All other settings are as per my normal airliners preset from my last installation.

On my i52500k I would be in the 15-18fps range, with the new set up I'm getting low to mid 30s consistently. Suffice to say I'm happy so far!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Good to know you got everything up and running. 65C is pretty cool. You should try to push it a little higher to 5 GHz. Mine is a bad chip, but I can get it run 50x100MHz with 48x AVX at 1.40-1.41v. >80C when running Realbench but everything is perfectly stable.  

I'm dreadful about reinstalling P3D and its long list of addons on my new 7700K. I'll probably wait until P3D 64bit coming out. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Thanks! Yes I'll definitely give 5ghz a try, thanks for your settings, I'll start there.

In terms of addons, I plan to install them as I go, rather than doing one big install blitz lasting a week.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

About double fps increase... that's about what I'd expect if I do it.  It's funny though how it's still only 30's.  Such ancient software roots I suppose...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I heard (I heard and I read), that Intel's days of "playing games" are almost over, eh? Looks like AMD is coming back on scene with double performance and half the price of Intel's best CPU. (I heard and I read- Remember?... Please do not hurt the mail-man. That would be a Federal Crime).  :P

Well, we shall see said...        the mail man? 

Until then, I have great reasons to Stand-bye!

I'd add that in addition to higher fps, the fps are also much more consistent, so the overall experience is more fluid. Also, the scenario I described is about the worst I would expect in terms of fps, so more moderate scenarios are even better. I landed at MUVR (orbx freeware version) and was in the high 50's.

Dave

Update, I hit 5.0Ghz, under AIDA64 testing I have one core at 70 and the rest 68-69.  Voltages never exceeded 1.33.  I'm going to try download realbench and see what kind of comparison I can get to your results Yang.

Dave

Your chip seems to be way better than mine. 1.33v for 5.0GHz is excellent. Remember mine is 1.41v, huge difference.

Of course, the Vcore was auto-set by BIOS, but I suspect I can offset by much if any. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Yes I think I've been lucky in the silicone lottery for sure. I did a quick real bench 15 minute test last night and the results were mostly the same as with aida64.

Dave

Yes I think I've been lucky in the silicone lottery for sure. I did a quick real bench 15 minute test last night and the results were mostly the same as with aida64.

Really glad to have come across this thread for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'm really torn on the CPU upgrade I'm about to make - if it's Intel it'll be the 7700k for sure but I'm just waiting for AMD to announce Ryzen and see what overclocking people can get. That said, your report of 5Ghz on air cooling (is that right?) is a big temptation. Would anyone be able to comment on performance with a liquid cooler (e.g. Corsair, DeepCool)? Those results, both temperature and speed really are excellent though.

I'm not sure whether to future proof in the hope that Lockheed Martin can optimise more cores and make use of the potential Ryzen 1800x - there are a lot of "what ifs" with this line of thinking but I'm holding out on the sim side until P3D v4 and 64 bit potentially - I'd hate to build in the next couple of weeks and find I should've gone with a different set up.

5Ghz on air cooling (is that right?)

That's correct.

Dave

Delidded and on custom water cooling:

IMG_1059_zpsqwamruvv.jpg

If you notice the voltage (1.32) there's still more room to OC as well.  Golden sample here.  Does 5GHz @ 1.25V, 5.1GHz @ 1.27V, voltage requirements start to increase greatly @ 5.2 and up though.  I'm sure this thing can do 5.3 but it may need around 1.4V to get there.  I'll try a few benchmark runs at that speed and probably settle in at 5.2 for the long haul.  RAM @ 3600 also.  FSX performance is amazing.  

Delidded and on custom water cooling:

That sounds really tempting to look into but I think will be too technical for me - your results though speak for themselves!