Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Fresh reinstall of FSX-SE - would appreciate some guidance

About a year ago I discovered FSX-SE and I went nuts over it. Spent a ridiculous amount of money on addons and an equally ridiculous amount of time tweaking it all so it ran beautifully. Then a double disaster struck. Somehow, the installation became corrupt and wouldn't load. At the same time I was hit with a health crisis. The combination was a bit too overwhelming so I abandoned FSX-SE and went back to my beloved old FS9. Well, it's not really "old FS9" as it has been tweaked and modernized beyond the imagination of most FSX/P3D users who gave it up years ago..... But that's not the topic.

The deal is that my health is now sufficiently robust and my frustration at not being able to use all the FSX-SE products I have acquired, including dozens during the year when I haven't even been able to use them - is now officially over.... I have managed to cleanly uninstall the corrupted FSX-SE and have downloaded a brand new installation, using a different drive. I'm back in the game, but way behind the learning curve. I am ploughing through the forum trying to find fixes for problems I dealt with a year ago but there are literally thousands of posts so it's incredibly time-consuming and frustrating....

SO ---- I'm looking for a buddy or two who will give me some help getting things up and running again. If I could use this one thread to ask some basic questions and get some quick answers I would be deeply grateful....

Here goes:

1. I have made a clean install to my D: drive in a folder entitled "Steam." My plan is to try to keep everthing SE related in that folder. Make sense?

2. I want to install the basic scenery enhancements first - I have the various Orbyx products like the HD Enhanced trees, Global world etc. I have REX and ASN and a registered copy of FSUIPC. Can you give me some guidance on what order to install these?

3. Is it still necessary to find and install the "legacy" simconnect files or has that problem been fixed with updates? If I still need to do this, can you help me - either with instructions or pointing me to the thread where I can get the needed info?

4. How do I get rid of the annoying "on screen" messages such as "exit open" etc.... Got rid of that garbage a decade ago and not ready to go back to tolerating it again.....

Basically, I'm asking for help in getting the sim running efficiently before I start adding scenery, new aircraft etc. I'm not a newbie - been on AVSIM since FS2002. But I'm not getting any younger and my memory of what I did a year ago to get FSX-SE running sweetly is pretty vague so am hoping for some patient, not-too-technical guidance.

I am running it on Windows 10 Home, mid-range PC with 1 Tb FS dedicated dual drive with plenty of room and dual video cards and three monitors.... Use Saitek controls - both yoke and dual quadrants as well as X55 throttle and stick for single engine or military aircraft. CH rudder pedals.

OK friends - can you help me get started? So far I've got the basic game running, have installed REX textures and have the controls configured and working fine. The only scenery addons so far installed have been the SIM720 basic library from DLC and Friday Harbor as I couldn't resist having the default flight look good! LOL Have numerous other DLC purchases "installed" in Steam but haven't had much luck getting adding them to work in the sim. But those are not my priority - NUMBER ONE is configuring weather, texture, FSUIPC and basic object libraries so I start off with an optimum setup.....

Thanks

Ian

Hello Ian,

1. Yes

2. For those addons the sequence doesn't really matter. I would install everything "Global" first though.

3. Only if you are using addons that have been compiled with legacy (= old) SimConnect libraries. So if you have addons with programmatic functionality (like weather engines or complex aircraft) that were made before FSX:SE came into existence, then yes, you will have to install a legacy SimConnect client. They are all here:

"\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces" and you will probably only require the one named "FSX-XPACK". But you should wait until you really need it (=when an old addon refuses to work).

4. These messages are controlled by the "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg" Set them to "False"

[Display]

InfoBrakesEnable=True

InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True

InfoPauseEnable=True

InfoSlewEnable=True

InfoStallEnable=True

InfoOverspeedEnable=True

LORBY-SI

Thank you Oliver - so far, so good. I'm about to follow through on your suggestions and if there's a glitch, I'll be back for some more help. So far I've installed registered version of FSUIPC and managed to restore many of the functions that I once took for granted - like Traffic Zapper! LOL Installed the Zinertek HD Airport Enhancer - once I've done all the other tweaks and installations I'm not sure how much of that will still be there but it's a start.

I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions but this is a great beginning. THANK YOU :clapping:

Oliver's advice is spot on.

I'll only add a few small things.

You won't hurt (or reduce performance) by installing each version of SimConnect, and doing it may prevent issues should you run an addon that needs it (often impossible to tell which version an app was made for).

Regarding video cards, you can run several monitors on most all later video cards, and adding more than one card will only increase you heat in the case (both because another card is running, and you'll reduce some air flow).  Besides, FSX doesn't work with SLI.

Give the AVSIM Configuration Guide a read... it really helps bring one up to speed.

Happy to hear you've regained your health!

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1. I have made a clean install to my D: drive in a folder entitled "Steam." My plan is to try to keep everthing SE related in that folder. Make sense?

No. The newer version of Steam wants to install into Program Files (x86), let it! We used to install FSZ into the root directory C:FSX because if permissions/user control problems. Dovetail has done a good job eliminating that error prone problem. I tried a few different installs, side by side FSX/FSX-SE, FSX, FSX-SE in the root directory etc. After accidently installing into Program Files (x86) 'Family emergency during install', and also right after installing Win 10 Pro. I decided "what the heck" run it. Turned out to be the smoothest version of FSX I ever used! All the Folders are named FSX, NOT FSX-SE!  No need to worry about user control or any permissions etc. You do want to use the exceptions in virus app's, also in windows defender. Real time virus protection sounds good but in essence your running 2 apps at once, slows down any flight sim.

Unless you are doing a new install on a fresh copy of your OS you may have some registry conflicting entrees, particularly with older side by side installs and old boxed FSX installs. Getting your registry fixed by fixing it yourself or using a registry cleaner app., is important! Add'ons behave much better after doing so!

I found out about the improvements made by Dovetail after the fact, never turned back, never had it so good with an FSX version of any stripe!

Happy to hear you've regained your health!

Thanks Dave. I'm not 100% but they finally found a treatment plan that keeps things in remission and I'm back to enjoying life a lot more....

The dual video cards came with the computer which is about five years old. I rarely use the 3rd monitor and not for FS - I sometimes turn it on to monitor my email or pretend I'm actually getting some work done as well as playing at flight sim! LOL But I will take your advice into consideration and may disconnect it as it really gets little actual use. (Though funnily enough, I'm actually typing this on that monitor while the other two are busy dealing with Orbyx reloads etc.

No. The newer version of Steam wants to install into Program Files (x86), let it!

Thanks for the head's up but unfortunately I've already done the other option. The positive thing is that my C drive has a lot less capacity than the D drive (1 Tb) so hopefully the positives will outweigh the negatives... But I really appreciate your advise and will take it slow in restoring addons and see how it's working out...

Thanks everybody for the good advice - I'm making progress though was a bit shocked to find that the FS Store I purchased about $800 worth of Orbyx products from no longer sells them and although it shows my downloads in my account I can't actually download them.... And so now I'm trying to figure out how to redownload them directly from Orbyx....

Being a stubborn kind of guy, I haven't asked for any further help since I started this three weeks ago, though if I had any sense I probably would have as I've had some frustrating moments. But there is one thing I can't seem to solve. Is it possible to set the zoom level so the cockpit viewpoint will zoom out to less than 30%??? I find that with some of my addon aircraft, even at 30% I have to keep moving the view downward to see essential instruments. I know I can change the viewpoint for each individual aircraft and will do so if necessary, but if I could just zoom out a little bit further, in most cases the problem would be solved.

Appreciate any help anyone can give

Cheers

Ian

Being a stubborn kind of guy, I haven't asked for any further help since I started this three weeks ago, though if I had any sense I probably would have as I've had some frustrating moments. But there is one thing I can't seem to solve. Is it possible to set the zoom level so the cockpit viewpoint will zoom out to less than 30%??? I find that with some of my addon aircraft, even at 30% I have to keep moving the view downward to see essential instruments. I know I can change the viewpoint for each individual aircraft and will do so if necessary, but if I could just zoom out a little bit further, in most cases the problem would be solved.

Appreciate any help anyone can give

Cheers

Ian

You should look into Chase Plane it would do that for you, awesome addon  to have.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

0.3 is a fixed value. Did you try activating WideViewAspect? It has a larger field of view, but unfortunately quite a bit of distortion.

If you don't fancy external software, you can set up camera positions with the built-in logic in the simulator itself, that you can access with hotkeys and cycle through as well.

LORBY-SI

0.3 is a fixed value. Did you try activating WideViewAspect? It has a larger field of view, but unfortunately quite a bit of distortion.

If you don't fancy external software, you can set up camera positions with the built-in logic in the simulator itself, that you can access with hotkeys and cycle through as well.

I just logged on to report problem solved. The wider field of view was the solution. No significant distortion noticed yet but I've only just tried it with one aircraft. But I do believe it is the solution I was looking for.... Thanks Lorby - though I found the solution myself, you helped confirm that I was on the right track and that reducing zoom beyond 0.3 wasn't an option

Cheers

Ian