Sign in to follow this  
Petermuc3

Some issues FSL A320

First of all having done a couple of flights, I really enjoy MCE.

When I fly fullscreen  my voice does not get recognized after a couple of minutes, I have to press the micro (off,on) on the MCE UI to make it work again.

Copilot does not correctly see the position of the seatbelts switch. During checklists he is challenging my "on" even so it's on.

Sometimes the radio get's not dialed in correctly even so he says it right.

I am using the Aerosoft checklist with the respective flows, as this is more complete. Might that be a problem?

Having GSX involved with opening cargodoors and boarding leads to frequent freezes.

Peter

Oh and I would like to go through flight controls check together with the copilot. Is there a script already?

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

@PeterMuc3  (not sure why I cannot quote your post)

The issue with GSX should be solved in next update, this Tuesday. Basically MCE trying to handle 2 requests for cargo doors operations simultaneously, with each thread needing a few seconds to complete via FMC-CDU simulated clicks on the same device.

He can definitely read the seatbelt switch. Maybe the issue is with the checklist code. Will get it checked.

It doesn't matter what flows or checklist you use. Nothing is scripted.

FO reads to checklist line, works out what it relates to, then checks the switch position and compares what you said to the current position.

If the checklist line is alien to him, he'll just ensure you reply as per checklist.

In such cases, submit checklist line, so we can educate the FO further.

There is another way to suspend MCE recognition for a while, without reaching out for the UI.

In "General" tab of the UI, click <More options> button.

In "Advanced options" panel, select option "Numlock mutes reco".

You toggle it once and it suspends all MCE speech reco (keyboard Numlock light comes on). You press it a second time to resume.

Just be aware MCE listens (via fsInsider.dll) to <END> and <DEL> keys, in addition to the <CTRL> key you assigned.

If any of these keys is seen "down", MCE will temporarily suspend all speech reco".

If you have FSUIPC assignments related to these keys (say a joystick button that emulates a key or something), make sure they don't trigger by accident.

If you find yourself speaking a command that comes to you naturally, tried more than once and nothing is recognized, don't assume it's related to accent or poor speech reco.

It could just be that the commands you're used to aren't part of the built-in commands.

Suggest you report them, and I'll show you how you can create a custom speech command that would act like an alias for an existing command. After that, you can teach your FO to understand your natural speech.

MCE is very flexible, with tens of thousands of built-in commands, but you never know when the odd speech variation isn't accounted for.

And this is why even after more than a decade on this project, there is always room for improvement.

Are you able to see the displayed spoken commands along with the remaining FSX VAS between parenthesis?

Thanks Gerald, yes I see the spoken commands, but when going to full screen, my voice is not recognized anymore and I do not see the spoken commands.

And I would like to go through the flight controls check.

Peter

For flight controls check, just say "check flight controls", then start moving the stick. FO will be monitoring the stick and rudder movement for the next 60 sec (can't remember exactly how long).

If you're too late to move the stick (maybe distracted by something else), you just need to issue the same speech command and expect him to be on standby to check within the next minute or so.

And good to hear you're already enjoying the crew experience :smile:

It shouldn't matter whether you're in full screen mode or windowed mode.

Just ensure MCE isn't somehow stuck in "DIALOG MODE" where all commands for interacting with Fo are suspended, and those for interacting with FSX dialog boxes are enabled. Typically when you hear the female voice over (not FO) stating "speech recognition in Dialog mode.

You can only interact with FO when in Flight Mode.

Do you have FsInn running (Vatsim) or using a different client?

What Windows version are you running?

I assume you didn't enable the Windows speech bar. It's not required and could actually mute the mike.

I  have Win7/64, being in flight mode, do not run Fsinn and the problem occures when I change from windowed mode to full screen (AltGr+Return on

German keyboard).

Peter

I  have Win7/64, being in flight mode, do not run Fsinn and the problem occures when I change from windowed mode to full screen (AltGr+Return on

German keyboard).

I'm baffled to be honest.

that part (speech reco) hasn't been developed over the last 4 month where the bus was interfaced. It's common to all aircraft and has been working reliably for years.

In this case German keyboard has no incidence because all it does is switch FSX to full screen mode.

All I can suggest is re-set MCE to factory settings (it won't affect the created flows), you will just need to re-assign the custom checklist if it reverts back to default.

Start->All Programs->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Restore factory settings.

That will ensure you have the latest "mce.ini" config that matches the current state of development. Occasionally, new options are added and "mce.exe" is no longer in synch. (say when user has tried the Demo years ago, and the old "mce.ini" is still there)

You'll have to go through the app wizard, but there is no need for speech training, every time you do that.

As said, the only things that would affect speech reco, are things like specific keys detected down or ATC assigned joystick seen down, in which case MCE WILL mute all speech reco.

By the way, you can use FsInn if you want. If you do, need to tell fsInsider.dll about it.

Go to FSX installation folder and open "fsInsider.ini".

Change "MonitorVatsimPanels=0" to "MonitorVatsimPanels=1"

Those many fsInn panels popping up, and some without putting FSX to pause mode, eventually fool MCE into thinking one of FSX dialog boxes has popped-up and will switch to "DIALOG BOX" by mistake. And you may not notice it when the sim is in full screen mode under Win 7.

When fsInsider.dll monitors them, it knows which ones are just panels and which actually stop the simulation.

Just to make sure MCE has set the speech engine to the correct input device, go to <About> tab in MCE user interface and check what "Sound In" and "Sound Out" are reported.

If they aren't the expected devices, use our "Assign sound device" tool to set MCE to the audio of your choice.

Start->All Programs->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Assign sound device.

Unlike with Windows 10 or 8 where MCE panel can sit on top of the FSX/Prepar3D window, even in full screen mode, the Win 7 desktop composition engine prevents MCE UI drawing on top of FSX.

Not that you need MCE UI at all, since FO can work out the flight phase you're in automatically and commands aren't tied to specific phases.

In fact, if it wasn't for the need to receive messages from the speech engine, we'd shut the MCE UI down and only bring it up when you need to adjust preferences. And it' not something you are expected to do during a flight. It's very different from the other simulation in this regard.

Once you have decided on which options work best for you, including FO behavior, may want to use option "Start to tray" in "Advanced Panel" window.

That way, MCE will start without trying to draw the UI.

It is expected to automatically shut down with the sim.

And if you need it, look at the system tray, right bottom of the screen for the brownish MCE icon, and you can get it to show up

Thanks again, Gerald, for the great support.

I do fly on IVAO a lot, do I have to make settings there too?

I did reset to factory settings and will try a flight this evening in full screen, sound input/output are set correctly.

By the way I was looking for an explanation of "strict checklist" but could not find one.

Peter

@petermuc3

Indeed "strict checklist" is poorly documented.

When option is enabled, irrespective of your reply, after a couple of challenges, FO will attempt to set it as per checklist. It's difficult to get this right with all 37 supported complex aircraft though.

When un-ticked, FO will keep arguing about your reply, and the only way out is to either tell him to set it to the correct position or use any of these

skip to next item

move to next item

skip this

skip that

I confirm there is an issue with Seatbelt and no smoking signs with regards the checklist. Will be fixed in next update.

He can read both switches though. He's just comparing to the wrong numbers in the checklist verification code path.

If you go to "Voxscript overview" panel, you'll find a flow named "testing stuff" (obviously not a real world flow).

Make sure it's secured against accidental trigger with option "Requires confirmation" ticked.

If you inspect the content of that flow, should find simulated commands for various items, and you can set them to any state and press "test", FO will be able to tell whether they are in the correct state.

Currently, these buttons are the only ones we couldn't work out the position for

Both galley switches

Ground power switch state (FO has other ways to find out whether power is applied to aircraft)

Hydraulic yellow pump

Auto-brake flat switches (he can set them reliably though, because he can just press any and then press the correct one to set auto-brake to correct setting). You'd be better off with "strict checklist" on this one, as FO will set it to "Max" even if he can't read its current state.

Apart from the above, and the odd switch we left out on purpose (and could implement if you need it), FO is fully aware of the cockpit situation.

We would obviously not ship a "testing stuff" flow, if this was a scripted adventure with FO just putting items to specific positions. :wink:

And of course not requiring a click on UI to tell him you have started or taking off, before you can use specific commands.

No need to change anything in IVAO software, just that fsInsider.dll needs to be aware of the presence of those panels, so it can tell MCE when a genuine FSX dialog box is displayed. Ensure you set the correct number for the CTRL key you requested earlier.

VatsimPTT=17

Check that when holding either left or right CTRL key, FO stops listening to your speech, until you release it.

Hi Gerald,

just finished a flight and indeed when I go to full screen my mic mutes somehow. I found out when I push CTRL (17) and release everything works well in

full screen from then on; funny isn't it? Before I changed the PTT everything was fine.

I tried flight controls check, copilot called rudder then stopped; what I would like, if possible, because that would be real

I push aileron left (he says full left) I release (he says neutral) same to the right

I move elevator up (he says full up) I release (he says neutral) same down

I push rudder left (he says full left) I release (he says neutral) same right.

One thing as far as the Landing Checklist is concerned: Last item is autothrottle (should be autothrust in Airbus terms :wink: ) "speed" or "off" should be accepted.

As always many thanks for the great help.

Peter

@PeterMuc3

Flight control check is implemented as you described.

The key thing to remember, once you give the command "check flight controls", you need to start moving the stick (or try keyboard).

FO will only be monitoring for the next minute or so. We don't want to let that monitoring thread run forever.

Eventually, repeat the command and see if he's checking. You can test as many times as you want. OK, at some point he might get upset if you keep asking him to re-do it again and again. :smile:

The other thing, could be joystick calibration, and FO not seeing the values he needs to see that indicate it's fully to the left, full right, full up etc...

This feature is also implemented in Aerosoft bus (with the expected checking process you mentioned) and hasn't been reported as unreliable so far (not that we mind people reporting broken stuff. Quite the opposite).

Just to clarify...

At the moment, let's say you move stick fully to the left. He'd say "full left.

Then he expects you to move it full right and acknowledge "full right".

You return it to neutral and that's when you expect him to say "neutral"

Are you perhaps suggesting he should say "neutral" twice per channel, 2 for aileron, 2 for elevator and 2 for rudder?

I will try the flight control again, last time I tried during taxi out as this SOP for some airlines.

Do you have an answer to my problem with the last item of landing checklist.

Thanks.

Peter

This feature is also implemented in Aerosoft bus (with the expected checking process you mentioned) and hasn't been reported as unreliable so far (not that we mind people reporting broken stuff. Quite the opposite).

Just to clarify...

At the moment, let's say you move stick fully to the left. He'd say "full left.

Then he expects you to move it full right and acknowledge "full right".

You return it to neutral and that's when you expect him to say "neutral"

Ok, here I go... :wink:

Using the Aerosoft Airbus, sometimes it works like you described above, apart from there is never a "neutral" for the rudder. Instead he says "flight controls check successful" or something like that (rudder checked as the last control).

But sometimes it is only for example "left" instead of "full left" and there is no "neutral" at all.

I didn't find a reason for that different behaviour. Sometimes it happens within one minute when I call for the flight controls check again right after the first run is completed (for testing). First time it is like I described above, second time all is fine (or vice versa).

Regards

Ralf

Ok, here I go... :wink:

Using the Aerosoft Airbus, sometimes it works like you described above, apart from there is never a "neutral" for the rudder. Instead he says "flight controls check successful" or something like that (rudder checked as the last control).

But sometimes it is only for example "left" instead of "full left" and there is no "neutral" at all.

I didn't find a reason for that different behaviour. Sometimes it happens within one minute when I call for the flight controls check again right after the first run is completed (for testing). First time it is like I described above, second time all is fine (or vice versa).

Regards

Ralf

OK, will get it checked and get back to you.

Do you have an answer to my problem with the last item of landing checklist.

If you mean the auto-thrust wording and acceptance of "speed" in place on ON, should be in next update (Hopefully tomorrow)

I tried the flight controls check yesterday; it is part of the "after start flow"; it worked for elevator, aileron but not for the rudder; if I push left (correctly indicated in the lower ECAM) he says full right and then he stops with the check.

I probably was unclear with the "autothrust challenge" during landing checklist. Some airlines fly all approaches (incl. visual approach) with managed/selected speed and others

disconnect autothrust;

so when PNF asks autothrust then 2 answers should be accepted

speed (autothrust engaged)

off (autothrust disengaged)

Thank you.

Peter

so when PNF asks autothrust then 2 answers should be accepted

speed (autothrust engaged)

off (autothrust disengaged)

There is no facility to have either or options in the checklist reply.

If your company policy is to use Mini G.S. then you will always be in Autothrust Engaged Mode, if not, with the speed select pulled, your in Disengaged Mode. So if you are not sure, the checklist response may be "as required", or "as briefed". The latter as per your before landing briefing.

Regards

David