Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Unclassified aircraft in the flight configuration and multiple for same aircraft xp11?

I have a variety of aircraft installed, some of which seem to be showing as unclassified.  I think the reason has something to do with the author field and planemaker, though i'm an xplane (11) newbie at this point and not sure what all this entails (a brief google search i wasnt even sure where the planemaker download was)..

Is there any other way to reclassify a craft in its folder perhaps?

On the other note of multiple ones.. for instance.. airfoillabs cessna i'm seeing 3 of them, two with question marks.. i did the generate icons on the 3rd one, but its just a blank black square for some reason, not sure why.. 

Im not sure why 3 show.. 

I also have another P92 eaglet that wont show its icon despite generating the icon, another black square..

Any thoughts on any of this?

Is there any way to make my own categories or even titles perhaps?

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Plane-Maker.exe is in your XP11 root folder. As for the rest I must say I share your frustration. Icons should be generated automatically. I think 3 of the same aircraft show because there are a few models but not sure at all. All I know is I'm never going to go through the time consuming process of generating icons for them all. I miss the more useful UI from XP10. :sad:

On the other note of multiple ones.. for instance.. airfoillabs cessna i'm seeing 3 of them, two with question marks.. i did the generate icons on the 3rd one, but its just a blank black square for some reason, not sure why.. 

Im not sure why 3 show..

Many planes deactivate parts of their exterior if you are inside the plane, for performance reasons. Change to the exterior and try to generate the icons.

Some recent releases also include an XP11 model in the install folder and those get picked up too so you show both a V10 and a V11 (SSG747 for example), so install the XP11 model then delete that model folder so XP11 doesn't pick it up.

The AirFoilLabs C172 includes three versions (low, medium and high resolution), and each of them has their own .acf file (named differently). That's why you see it three times.

You see icons only for one of them because aircraft icon files are named after the .acf file you used for generating these. So if you loaded the high-res version of the AirFoilLabs C172 (Airfoillabs_C172SP_high_res.acf), X-Plane will generate icons named like Airffoillabs_C172SP_high_res_icon11.png etc.

Easy solution: Delete the variant you don't want to use (simply remove or rename the .acf file of the non-used variants).

Better solution: Create icons for each variant (simply open each variant, create icons, then open the next one, and so on).

Best solution: Wait until AirFoilLabs release a XP11-compatible version of their aircraft.

As for the rest I must say I share your frustration. Icons should be generated automatically. (...) All I know is I'm never going to go through the time consuming process of generating icons for them all.

I'm not sure if X-Plane really should generate these icons automatically, not at this moment. I can imagine developers who will ship their own preview icons at some time, to be more distinct from the others. Auto-generation would overwrite these.

This said, I don't think it's very time-consuming, and it only needs to be done when a new livery is added that does not yet provide icons by the livery author. I do that before my flight starts, and I make a cup of coffee in the meantime anyway.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

The AirFoilLabs C172 includes three versions (low, medium and high resolution), and each of them has their own .acf file (named differently). That's why you see it three times.

You see icons only for one of them because aircraft icon files are named after the .acf file you used for generating these. So if you loaded the high-res version of the AirFoilLabs C172 (Airfoillabs_C172SP_high_res.acf), X-Plane will generate icons named like Airffoillabs_C172SP_high_res_icon11.png etc.

Easy solution: Delete the variant you don't want to use (simply remove or rename the .acf file of the non-used variants).

Better solution: Create icons for each variant (simply open each variant, create icons, then open the next one, and so on).

Best solution: Wait until AirFoilLabs release a XP11-compatible version of their aircraft.

Thanks for replying.. yeah it looks at least for Airfoil that this was the case.. i guess there is no way to change the title for each to add a word or two though? (short of maybe planemaker?)

The other aircraft i have the issue with is the Dmax P92 Eaglet.. seems to have no icon.. i tried external view then regenerate, no luck, just black square.. checked in its folder, i see the png files and if you open them there is the correct image.. not sure whats going on with this one.  (i also suspect despite seeing xp11 compat on this one, its not, because sometimes xp11 crashes when using the aircraft or manipulating the xp11 menu with it loaded)  edit: deleting the png files and recreating did the trick here.

I still have several others that are "unclassified", i may try opening plane maker to see if there is a way to change that.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Thanks for replying.. yeah it looks at least for Airfoil that this was the case.. i guess there is no way to change the title for each to add a word or two though? (short of maybe planemaker?)

(...)

I still have several others that are "unclassified", i may try opening plane maker to see if there is a way to change that.

The classification is simply made in PlaneMaker and PlaneMaker is nothing evil.

Start PlaneMaker, use "File -> Open" to open the .acf file you want to edit, then go to "Standard -> Author" and set a checkmark in the appropriate category checkbox. In the field "name" you can change the name that is shown in X-Plane. Close the dialogue with the small "x", then use "File -> Save" to save your changes.

But be aware that if you save a X-Plane 10 aircraft in X-Plane 11's PlaneMaker that several other things will be changed to X-Plane 11 behavior (for example engine behavior), and this can screw up things if the aircraft developer really relies on X-Plane 10's behavior.

So better get the X-Plane 10 demo for having PlaneMaker 10, and make the classification inside of that (it has all the necessary fields). This avoids unwanted side effects.

Or simply wait until X-Plane 11 is out of beta and aircraft developers start to update their aircraft themselves.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir