Sign in to follow this  
freded

P3D v.3.4.9 crashes with 'Error 0xfffffff7'

I had a problem with P3D v.3.3.5, so decided to update to 3.4.9. But I am still getting crashes even before P3D has completed its opening sequence.

The error message is "Error 0xfffffff7".

I have tried running Repair on both Install_Client.msi and Setup, with no improvement. The error seems to be something to do with DirectX, according to logfiles.

I have run DirectX's installation... again with no results.

What else should I try?

Answer is here, Google is your friend:  http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113640

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Looked  at that URL but nothing there was any help.

I have now re-run Setup_Prepar3D.exe and that was successful, but on opening P3D, I get a 'Fatal Error' message and the program closes. This is just after the Scenario Setup screen opens. The Change Vehicle screen is black instead of showing a default aircraft.

Does this provide a clue to anyone as to what the fault is?

The error message is "Error 0xfffffff7".

I have tried running Repair on both Install_Client.msi and Setup,

Hello Mark 

Originally,  Did you just update the Client ?  Or Content and or Scenery ?  Or did you do a Full Uninstall & Reinstall of Prepar3D ? 

Are you getting this Error when Repairing the Install_Client.msi OR when you Launch Prepar3D ? 

========================

Currently

Can you see these 17 Default yellow folders in your Core Prepar3D v3 folder ? 

Licences, propdefs, Scaleform, ShadersHLSL, trinton, redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture, Scenery

Hello Elaine,

Thank you for your reply.

Answering your questions:-

Originally: I did a complete uninstall/reinstall of Prepar3d v.3.4.9. (The previous installation was v. 3.3.5 which had been working perfectly, until I had another problem with the computer that was fixed by a very computer-literate friend. In fixing it, he said he had to delete some P3D files. Hence the attempted upgrade to v. 3.4.9.)

I was getting the same "Fatal error" when launching P3D v. 3.4.9 and after Repairing both the Install_Client.msi and Setup_Prepar3D.exe.

Currently: I have today completely Uninstalled v. 3.4.9 and installed v. 3.4.18.19475. The installation was successful and registration went without a hitch but I am still getting the "Fatal error occurred" immediately after the "Prepar3D Scenario Setup screen opens.

All of the 17 Default yellow folders are present in the Core Prepar3D v3 folder.

Does the above give you any clues as to the cause of the problem?

Hello again Elaine,

I've just checked (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) Event Viewer and it is showing that the Failing Module for these errors is symmap.dll, situated in the Prepar3d 3.4.18 folder.

Is this any help?

Hello Mark

Do you have the Required  Net Framework 4.6.2 to run Prepar3D 3.4.18.19475 ? 

Uninstall Microsoft Visuals 2013 in your Control Panel,  Download and Run Microsoft Visuals 2013 as administrator  Pick this one when prompted  "vcredist_x86.exe"

Have you confirmed your system is using your GTX\AMD Graphics card as apposed to an Intel On-Board Graphics card ?  Maybe try an Uninstall & Reinstall and Update your Graphics Driver using a Cleaning Tool http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=122118&start=30#p145307

​Have you any Background Process running like,  Team Viewer,  Evga Precision, Ms After burner and so on ?   Disable them in Task Manager

Have you added exceptions for Prepar3D to your Anti virus Software ?   

=====================

After you confirm the above..........

Your first step is to Locate and Delete the Blue folders below,  They will regenerate again as Default when you launch Prepar3D,  Maybe something got muddled up along the way 

Documents ► Prepar3D v3 files

Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ►Lockheed Martin

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin

Next: Go to your Core Prepar3D folder,  Right Click on Prepar3D.exe and run as administrator  (Bi-Passing the Prepar3D Desktop Icon Path) 

Anything

Hello Elaine,

Yes, I installed Net Framework 4.6.2 a few days ago, as P3D asked for it.

Have now uninstalled both Microsoft Visual C++ 2013s. There are another 15 Microsoft Visuals dated from 2008 to 2015 - should those be deleted or left alone?

Installed as Administrator: vcredist_x86.exe. New Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 has appeared in Control Panel.

Am using NVIDIA GTX 960 video card. Have not yet tried reinstalling its drivers. First I'm going to try a reboot...

If no joy, I'll then continue with your suggestions.

Hello Elaine,

Rebooting didn't work.

I have now put P3D in the exclusions list of Avast antivirus - still a Fatal Error.

None of the background programs you mentioned are on this computer.

Have now deleted all four 'Blue' folders and shall try running P3D again...

THAT DID IT!!

It was one of those four folders I deleted.

P3D now running perfectly with default scenery and aircraft. I'll now try copying over the backups I made of Scenery.cfg and then the add-on aircraft and see what happens...

Thanks so much, Elaine! I'll keep your postings in case I need them in future. :wink:

Good stuff :) 

Yes I wrote my post backwards :smile:   I should of got you to Delete the Blue folders first.  Yes leave all other Microsoft Visuals there,  Windows programs and Add On's will need them.  A default Prepar3D v3 (No Add On's)  Uses Microsoft Visuals 2013,  All other Add On's will Install there own required Visuals  

Enjoy 

P3D now running perfectly with default scenery and aircraft. I'll now try copying over the backups I made of Scenery.cfg and then the add-on aircraft and see what happens...

Remember:  Install only Compatible 3rd Party Software for Prepar3D v3,  Stay away from the Estonia Migration Tool (EMT)

Install only 1 Add On at at time, Restart your computer,   Launch Prepar3D and test before you Install the next one.

Run your Prepar3D environment as administrator  Including all 3rd Party Software that Launch's with Prepar3D (At the same time)   Example:  EZdok

Hello Elaine,

A question about porting over stuff from v.3.3.5 to 3.4.18.

I notice that there are a large number of 'extra' folders in v.3.3.5 that are not present in 3.4.18, e.g: Addon Scenery, Modules, Scenarios, and numerous third-party folders.

Is it OK to simply port these over to 3.4.18? Or do I have to reinstall them all?

Would this problem have been avoided if I had upgraded from 3.3.5 to 3.4.18 by simply using Install_Client.msi instead of Setup_Prepar3D.exe? And can I still do this? And if so, how?

I notice that there are a large number of 'extra' folders in v.3.3.5 that are not present in 3.4.18, e.g: Addon Scenery, Modules, Scenarios, and numerous third-party folders.

Hello Mark,  Are you referring to your Core Prepar3D folder ?  If so, there was No change in Default Folders (yellow folders) going from V3.3 and V3.4

Is it OK to simply port these over to 3.4.18? Or do I have to reinstall them all?

What Add On's do you have ? 

Would this problem have been avoided if I had upgraded from 3.3.5 to 3.4.18 by simply using Install_Client.msi instead of Setup_Prepar3D.exe? And can I still do this? And if so, how?

Yes,  By Updating the Client only, This is the least Intrusive Update for your Add On's.   By running the Setup_Prepar3D.exe  (Uninstall & Reinstall) you are starting at the bottom again.  

Hello Mark,  Are you referring to your Core Prepar3D folder ?  If so, there was No change in Default Folders (yellow folders) going from V3.3 and V3.4

What Add On's do you have ? 

Yes,  By Updating the Client only, This is the least Intrusive Update for your Add On's.   By running the Setup_Prepar3D.exe  (Uninstall & Reinstall) you are starting at the bottom again.  

Hello Elaine,

Yes I am referring to the Core Prepar3d folder.

I have numerous add-ons and have reinstalled them into v. 3.4.18.

I wish now I had updated using the Client!

It would have been so much easier...

Thank you for your help with this.