Sign in to follow this  
KOLMAN13

GPS Auto Course

Does the GPS set the HSI course automatically in the real aircraft?
I thought that the pilot has to manually align it with the DTK on this retro gauge.

Hi Kolman,

I always thought it was a manual affair and we used auto course in the sim for convenience - at least that's the way my RW slaved Century HSI works - if you use the GTN in the sim - I think there is an option in the GTN config file to disable auto course ?

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Mechanical HSIs normally are not able to automatical slew to a course.

Thanks,

I just wanted to confirm that I am not wrong here.

I already updated my F1GTN.ini with Auto CRS=0 for more realism.

Regards,

Gerhard

Hi Gerhard,

I took your question over to AOPA - I stand corrected - many models of HSI on higher end aircraft do auto-slew the CDI to the required courses... A "cheap" mechanical HSI starts at $10,000.00 USD new - and the auto-slew models are 3 or 4 times that much - so it's quite possible a Lear has the auto-slew model... One member stated having an "auto-slew" model in his Cessna 340...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Gerhard,

I took your question over to AOPA - I stand corrected - many models of HSI on higher end aircraft do auto-slew the CDI to the required courses... A "cheap" mechanical HSI starts at $10,000.00 USD new - and the auto-slew models are 3 or 4 times that much - so it's quite possible a Lear has the auto-slew model... One member stated having an "auto-slew" model in his Cessna 340...

Regards,

Scott

This.  It really depends on the HSI in the aircraft.   Many "old-ish" aircraft that are updated with a GTN may have also had an auto HSI installed along with it. 

I spoke with our avionics guy and he disagrees. Autoslewing HSIs are very rare avionics and would mostly be found in large turbine aircraft such as the DC-10, 737-200, 747-200 and large business jets such as the Gulfstream II/III with Flight Management Systems. Not to say that someone can't shoehorn something like a Sperry 650 into a LJ35, but our avionics guy believes this would be very expensive to integrate into the autopilot. (Possible flight testing required.)  He seems to think it would be less expensive to install a Sandel.

Hi Ken,

LOL - I'm truly not trying to be argumentative - we're all on the same side and just interested in flying this great plane.. Maybe the guys on AOPA didn't understand my question - which certainly could happen...

:smile:

The guy with the C340 states the model HSI that auto-slews - that's installed in his plane - is a Sperry RD-650B HSI... The AOPA guys also stated nobody would install one of these today - as for the same money you can get glass without the maintenance costs and mechanical parts that will eventually fail - e.g. - the Sandel...

A really quick search for that specific HSI shows it seems pretty common in biz jets from the 80's... I'm guessing it would have been a factory option... Whether or not many Lear 35's had them - haven't a clue... It seems prevalent enough to leave the auto-course enabled on mine...

Cessna Citation III

http://www.eagle-creek.com/wp-content/uploads/cutsheets/cessna-citation-iii.pdf

Lear 55

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1407627/1981-learjet-55

Challenger 600

http://www.southportaviation.com/82-challenger-details.html

Gulfstream III

http://www.cortjet.com/gulfstreamIII.html

Regards,
Scott

The advantage of having an option like auto course in the sim is each person can set it up how they want ... at no additional cost!  :wink: 

Al

• Upvote 1

Hi Ken,

LOL - I'm truly not trying to be argumentative - we're all on the same side and just interested in flying this great plane.. Maybe the guys on AOPA didn't understand my question - which certainly could happen...

:smile:

The guy with the C340 states the model HSI that auto-slews - that's installed in his plane - is a Sperry RD-650B HSI... The AOPA guys also stated nobody would install one of these today - as for the same money you can get glass without the maintenance costs and mechanical parts that will eventually fail - e.g. - the Sandel...

A really quick search for that specific HSI shows it seems pretty common in biz jets from the 80's... I'm guessing it would have been a factory option... Whether or not many Lear 35's had them - haven't a clue... It seems prevalent enough to leave the auto-course enabled on mine...

Cessna Citation III

http://www.eagle-creek.com/wp-content/uploads/cutsheets/cessna-citation-iii.pdf

Lear 55

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1407627/1981-learjet-55

Challenger 600

http://www.southportaviation.com/82-challenger-details.html

Gulfstream III

http://www.cortjet.com/gulfstreamIII.html

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

I agree this is a very good discussion and not something I have really thought that much about in the past. I flew a King Air with dual Sperry RD-650Bs so I am familiar with that type of system. Works well. A note of your list of bizjets the first three have UNS-1s and the G3 has dual GNS-XLS. Seems to run along the lines if you are going to spend the big bucks on an FMS you might as well dump a few more and get a decent HSI. I also found a number of take-off RD-650Bs running around e-bay for dirt cheap, this may explain the reason one was in an AOPA members Cessna. (Not sure I personally trust e-bay for take-off avionics...)

I dug into the Learjet 35 with the FC-530 autopilot and was able to find the pilot manual for the FC-530. The term used in the manual is remote slew and they state that the LJ35 may or may not have this type of HSI. If the HSI does not have remote slew then the procedure is to set the desired track manually. However, the manual notes that since Long Range Navigation steers using roll left and roll right commands the Flight Director and Autopilot will continue to track to correct course regardless of course selected in the HSI. Just if you are trying to manually track the course it could get confusing. 

I tried to look up information on the Collins HSI-84 https://myduncan.aero/online/parts/detail/622-4151-017 (seemed to match what looked like was in the Flysimware LJ35) to see if it had remote slew. Unfortunately, information on these older avionics are difficult to find and I had nothing at the office. Since there are 19 different part numbers associated with the HSI 84 who knows. 

The advantage of having an option like auto course in the sim is each person can set it up how they want ... at no additional cost!  :wink:

Al

Al, I agree. The last thing I want to do is spin a virtual knob. You bet I enabled autoslew / remote slew! 

• Upvote 1

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the additional information - I'm soaking up all I can on this fine bird and continually learning... As you can see in my first post I thought self slewing HSI's were completely fictional... Ooops... Taking it all on board...

Regards,
Scott

I dug into the Learjet 35 with the FC-530 autopilot and was able to find the pilot manual for the FC-530.

Ken,

I would really like to see the FC-530 manual if you can supply a link. I've been looking for a FC-530 manual without success.

Thx,

Al

• Upvote 1

Al,

The document is copyrighted and my access to it was only through corporate networks. If you are really interested I saw some used Learjet 35 with FC-530 autopilot manuals on e-bay. However, I don't think they were the latest version. The statement I paraphrased was out of the Normal Procedures, Long Range Navigation section.