Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

is TrackIR old school in 2017 ?

Hi,

Since i bought my 4K TV i am pretty happy with my setup using EZCA version 2 but using my hatswitch for orientation sometimes can be some annoying.

For instance the orientation on approach when i want to look down on my PFD/ND the speed and flow on the hatswitch is sometimes difficult to achieve. (i know you can change the HAT-switch speed )

It seems like the "hat flow" in version 2 has some cinema effect to it. In EZCA Version 1 you could choose these effects in the hatswitch menu.

I have seen alot of videos with trackIR and it seems pretty smooth and (precise if you know what i meen)

Thanks

Michael Moe 4K@25HZ 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I can't sim without TrackIR.  IMHO, it is still the best way to look around and orientate yourself without getting into a muddle with a hatswitch.  They are overpriced in my opinion, but serve a valuable purpose.  They work very well.  

• Upvote 3

hardly old school now or ??

like amex & fsuipc, can't leave the gate without it !

it has many options for panning speed / and movement directions, all of which you can customise.

however it needs in my opinion other hardware to set your buttons / rotaries etc ... head tracking is not steady enough for efficient mouse clicking (but no mouse is an fps gain) ! 

• Upvote 1

for now, cheers

john martin

I got it few weeks ago and can't imagine flight without it, plus I use it in truck sims too.

Thing about TIR5 is you need to have a good profile. Fortunately there is plenty to choose from.

• Upvote 2

As a simmer who spends alot of time with Falcon BMS, TIR is indispensable.  Also good for immersion for any flying environment.

• Upvote 2

spacer.png

Try to dogfight in DCS or Falcon and you will see if it's old school :BigGrin: ! As Boomer wrote it's indispensable!

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

I won't fly without it. Expensive as it is: if mine broke down today, I'd order a new one within a second. (Mine is >10 years old btw...!)

VR might be the new craze but it is in its infancy stage yet and not suited for a lot of flying and purposes (mainly due to the low res screens). If VR ever grows up though, I will gladly replace my TrackIR with a VR device.... but that won't happen anytime soon. And VR is even more (up to extremely) expensive too!

It's probably not fair to call it "old school" yet, a mature technology with a clear successor on the way, sure, but until VR matures a bit more in terms of performance on non-cutting edge machines, quality machines and interfaces for cockpits and things like chart reading, I'm not sure you can call TrackIR "old school".

There is lots of life in TrackIR yet  :smile:

I join the club... I can't sim without my baseball cap and my (old) TrackIR v4. It makes my wife laught at me with my hat and headset (IVAO).

I 99% fly VFR so looking around in mandatory. To interact with the cockpit I have VRInsight mPanel and the cheap Saitek suite (rudder, throttle quadrant and joystick). I also have an Ultrawide screen which reduce a little the need to pan.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

I bought and used Track IR for years, and since I got P3D and started flying tube liners, I found that I was using it less and less. Adjusting knobs and switches on the panel, I found it easier just to freeze Track IR or use hat switch to change view with Ezdok. Now I am flying all A2A aircraft, and I very rarely even activate Track IR when flying. Don't miss it at all. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yea, have to agree 10+ years and still working.  So in that regards it was quite a bargain.  Granted their track clip is a bit weak in the knees.  Mine (and others) have noted them breaking with just average use but nothing that tape and glue can't fix!

There was some additional plug-in I found for it that disables it automatically whenever I am outside the aircraft and kicks back in when inside the cockpit.  Nice find and it still works in P3D.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

When someone does a survey that shows 9 out of  10 VR users commit mass shootings and TIR users committed none...Then we'll see... :wink:

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.