Sign in to follow this  
omnimae

Flare but no Rollout durimg autoland

Greeting,

First time posting here, I will try to be the most specific possible.

Im try to use the autoland function when arriving to CYUL from KJFK, during descent after configuring the 2Nav radio with the 6R runway ILS and the course for both also I proceed in the pedestal to configure the altitude and length of the runway ( in this case 9600, I taught that was my error but then I tried with the 6L runway that is 11000 and still the same) I have my route configured in my FMS , in the autopilot I have engage VNAV both FD A/T etc.

During final approach before intercepting the G/S because im using ATC my heading is selected in the autopilot I press VOR/LOC to intercept the G/S and the APP and CMD B immediately the plane starts to make his approach but the PFD and copilot also shows on top PILOT CH in yellow surround by a square green then the square green disapears. Around 1600 fts the computer make his checks the G/S indicators blinks and then it should change to AUTOLAND 3 but change to CMD in green but star to show FLARE in white but no rollout, I down the HUD and in the corner I have this Aiii indicator flashing instead of being fix. The plane lands perfect but I want to know what im missing.

Jorge Lazaro.

Greetings,

from what I read it seems that Im landing in fail passive instead of fail operational, also it seems that this option is associated with the PMDG 737 livery im flying, if this true how I change to a fail operational mode?

Greetings,

from what I read it seems that Im landing in fail passive instead of fail operational, also it seems that this option is associated with the PMDG 737 livery im flying, if this true how I change to a fail operational mode?

The Introduction manual has all the information.

For your specific question the Autoflight section (in my PMDG manual) starts on page 72.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Greetings,

Thanks everyone, you were right, because I was flying the AA livery, the equipment was set to set Fail Passive, I tested last night with the PMDG livery and worked perfect.

Jorge Lazaro.

Greetings,

Thanks everyone, you were right, because I was flying the AA livery, the equipment was set to set Fail Passive, I tested last night with the PMDG livery and worked perfect.

Jorge Lazaro.

If you want to be faithful to the AA livery don't do auto lands at all.  We hand fly CAT II/III approaches with the HUD.  Dual channel approach is prohibited on the 737 fleet.

If you want to be faithful to the AA livery don't do auto lands at all.  We hand fly CAT II/III approaches with the HUD.  Dual channel approach is prohibited on the 737 fleet.

thanks for the info, may I ask why the dual channel approach is prohibited?

"Dual channel approach is prohibited on the 737 fleet"

Who's fleet?

Best Regards,

may I ask why the dual channel approach is prohibited?

I couldn't tell you the reason for certain but I would suspect it comes down to cost.  Auto land requires that recurring flight confidence checks be done and tracked by maintenance whereas the HUD does not.  The airplanes will do a dual channel auto land, but we have a limitation in our operating manual that prohibits it.  Having both would be redundant.  We can get down to a 50' DA and 600/400/300 on the RVR using only the HUD.

American Airlines.

Would that be the real American Airlines or one of the Flight Sim's virtual airlines where "Dual channel approach is prohibited on the 737 fleet"?

Best Regards,

Would that be the real American Airlines or one of the Flight Sim's virtual airlines where "Dual channel approach is prohibited on the 737 fleet"?

It's the real American Airlines and Joe Diamond is a 738 pilot for them.

It's the real American Airlines and Joe Diamond is a 738 pilot for them.

I thought it was the AA727 and temporarily prohibited.

American Airlines Bans 727 Autopilot Landings

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-02-12/news/9802120422_1_american-airlines-flight-o-hare-international-airport-plane

Best Regards,

I thought it was the AA727 and temporarily prohibited.

American Airlines Bans 727 Autopilot Landings

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-02-12/news/9802120422_1_american-airlines-flight-o-hare-international-airport-plane

That is a different event entirely and has nothing to do with the 737 fleet.

It's simply an operational decision.  The airplane is entirely CAT III capable using only the HUD so why incur the expense keeping the airplanes and crews qualified to do auto landings?