Sign in to follow this  
ThomasAH

Cloud Shadows needs Aircraft Self Shadowing?

I just used the Diagnostics button in DX10 Controller 3.2 with Cloud Shadows 1.5 enabled and received:

WARNING! Cloud Shadows requires Aircraft Casts Shadow on Itself turned on in FSX settings.

The strange thing is that cloud shadows still work fine.

Is the diagnostic wrong, am I just lucky that it works for some other reason?

Cloud Shadows was originally written to require that aircraft shadows be enabled and also that when in vc view that the aircraft was additionally showing vc shadows.

That is still what is stated in the manual and also what is represented in the fixer diagnostics check.

However, post the initial release I have managed to get cloud shadows largely working without aircraft shadows. The one remaining issue with this is that if you pause and pan the view you will observe that the shadows move with the viewpoint - only if you enable aircraft shadows do they behave correctly.

• Upvote 1

I have "aircraft casts shadows on the ground" enabled, just not "aircraft casts shadows on itself".

Cloud shadows on the water vanished when pausing (but stayed in slew mode), but stayed active on the ground.

Yes, and if you pan the view they will move with the camera. I have managed to address this in 1.6 such that if you don't have aircraft shadows and pause all cloud shadows will disappear.

• Upvote 1