Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

VAS what VAS? in 3.4!

I have shuttled between UK2000 EGLL and FT EHAM in the PMDG737 and 777 with a fair amount of weather and VATSIM traffic with no VAS issues. P3D3.4 is pretty stable for me.

Using FTX Global and Vector(many of the road/rail options turned off)

I thought I read here somewhere that LM is recommending users to not put in the AM tweak as their code is better optimized without it to use all cores.

Except if you have HT enabled. If you actually read the documentation yourself you will see information whereby it shows how when the sim has four logical processors the rendering stage is at it's leanest because the simulator splits its processes out across four parts.

If you have more than four LPs the background parts divide to utilise more data loading, if you have less than four those parts combine onto less cores.

So with four cores leave it with no AM.

With four cores +HT you have 8 LPs and so the rendering stage, although leanest appears on a core with a sister LP with another part of the sim and so reduces back the rendering similarly as it would with HT disabled on three cores.

The reason 116 is good on the four core +HT is that 116=01,11,01,00 (8 LPs) from the right we have two zeros representing LPs 0 and 1, these are unused by the sim and so completely available to the weather engine, next left we have 01 which shows that only one LP is used by the sim (ones represent on LPs) that's the main rendering part on a core to itself, next left we have two ones ,11, which shows both LPs of that core being utilised by the sim, finally next left we have 01 which means that final part of the sim has a core to itself, no more sim processes on that core.

So as you can see with only three cores available with the magic of HT we can split the sim across four parts.

What of LPs 4 and 5? The two ones on the same core 2 (core zero on the right followed by 1,2,3). Well if you watch the graphs in Task Manager you can see that these don't require maximum throughput of their LP at the same time.

It's one of those hard to understand things about Windows, takes a lot of thought and careful reading of my posts.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

There always seems to be a steady stream of posts about VAS issues in P3D, irrespective of the version or hotfix, but I think that's largely because those with issues post.  

I have no issues.  I automatically dump the VAS figure to a csv file every minute, so I can check afterwards, but it's been months since that go below 1GB remaining, and I now also often see these nice curves back up after I leave a memory intensive area.  So count me as one more otherwise quiet voice saying I reckon it's pretty good now.

B.

• Upvote 2

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

...Now let's look at the situation on the four core +HT with no AM = 11,11,11,11 and so the first four parts exist on only two cores (remember this is P3D not FSX) core 0 has parts one and two the rendering process on LP0 is interrupted by the second job of the sim on LP1. Next core 1 we have two background data loading processes, next two cores we have those data loading processes split over six LPs. This increases scenario loading speed decreasing the time to get to the cockpit, but the rendering stage is baulked slightly by the activity on the sister LP of core 0.

I had some VAS problems, but that was because I'm running Flyinside/VR. Now that I´ve optimized my settings, I usually with 500-800mb left after a long haul flight using the PMDG 777 and FSDT/FlyTampa airports. I am also using ORBX Global and AS2016+ASCA. If you are having issues, lower your settings and disable VAS hungry addons such as VECTOR, OpenLC, RAAS, AI Traffic etc. No other way.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Using more than four LPs increases VAS use slightly but not significantly enough to be a major factor in VAS issues.

There is one simple answer to VAS pain that has been beaten to death - switch to UTX instead of FTX stuff and you have both LC, Vector and zero VAS issues. You can enable MOST of the roads (in USA I'm able to fly with ALL roads set to ON), ALL railroads and you;ll have beautiful night lighting FTX has never had. One more thing - i'm using 100% custom made AI Traffic at EDDF/EHAM/EGLL/KJFK/KLAS without issues.

There is only one detriment for UTX as it's limited to USA, Canada and Europe.  

There is one simple answer to VAS pain that has been beaten to death - switch to UTX instead of FTX stuff and you have both LC, Vector and zero VAS issues. You can enable MOST of the roads (in USA I'm able to fly with ALL roads set to ON), ALL railroads and you;ll have beautiful night lighting FTX has never had. One more thing - i'm using 100% custom made AI Traffic at EDDF/EHAM/EGLL/KJFK/KLAS without issues.

There is only one detriment for UTX as it's limited to USA, Canada and Europe.

There's probably some truth there.  I remember rebuilding my P3d and, before I installed anything, my framerates were in the 100s...way, way up there.  Adding more stuff and then more stuff on the stuff brought it down, down, down.  After that, you have to start fighting back...less of this, less of that...until it gets where you want.  I suspect UTX might be a much less VAS/frame intensive solution for folks.  Doesn't mean I'm going to switch...I've got it working with Global okay...but I suspect you're right.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

One thing where FTX beats UTX easilty - HD Trees and forests LC. Meanwhile, as far urban LC concerns, UTX is the champion. Also, to my biggest regret I cannot mix beautiful FTX regions outside of UTX coverage with UTX/GEP3D, as FTX badly messes with default P3D LC files and autogen definitions. In other words, either you belong to FTX sectarian organization completely or you're completely out :-)

What I really want to try is the sandwich of FTX Global, UTX without LC and FTX Open LC Europe/USA. 

is this on departure ? what gate ?

Which version of P3D?  What is your AI traffic set to?  Do you have FTX Vector turned on?  Do you have FS2Crew RAAS on?  What resolution of clouds are you using?  What are your texture settings set to (first page of your Options in P3D)? 

My bad, dont know where I got 300 MB from while the correct answer is 600 MB free. Still, it is not enough to make a flight to Frankfurt v2 for instance. FlyTampa EKCH to Aerosoft ENGM with these settings always ends with OOM on approach.

- Sitting at gate D14 Flytampa EHAM, NGX, FS2crew, GSX, AS2016 injecting light weather (some clouds)

- Version 3.2

- No AI traffic, only vatsim + 5% road vehicles

- No FTX vector, only OpenLC and Global

- FS2crew RAAS is turned off

- Cloud resolution - is HDE freeware clouds so I guess between 1024 and 2048

- Texture settings ingame is 2048

6692lQ6.png

lw9ewGG.png

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Just did a flight from DD EPWA to FlyTampa Copenhagen in the PMDG 777. Took off with 1.4 Gb free VAS, landed with 1.1 Gb free VAS. And that is with all bells and whistles (Orbx Vector, Orbx openLC, AS16, 10% MT6).

Just a quick tip: Since the last update of Orbx openLC Europe, there is an additional entry in the scenery.cfg for the improved night lights. Same as with openLC North America. Deactivating this entry when flying during the day frees up approx. 200 Mb of VAS.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Just added My Traffic pro and did a FPS and VAS test.

EHAM Gate H7

0 Traffic of any kind FPS=96-106, VAS Free 1.96GB

Only Airline traffic ON with My Traffic 6.0a Set to 6% (looks the same as 10% but less of a hit)

FPS=75-97, VAS Free 1.89 that's with 40 aircraft count within Air Traffic manager.

So far very happy with fps and VAS using 3.4 total fresh install of everything.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

David, I am impressed.

With current settings at EHAM I've got about 1,1GB of VAS free and I thought it was really great result. 

Any additional tweaks for u, like for example disabling external model of 777? What settings u use? 

I am happy in general with my simulator running atm, but I am not able to finish flight from CYYZ to EHAM without reloading, it reaches 3,7GB point of VAS around midway to Europe. And it is with most of the Vector settings disabled. 

(my sim install is also fresh) 

Pawel Cichminski