Sign in to follow this  
JumpDC3s

Wired LAN vs WiFi LAN

Taking a stab at adding a second (older) PC to load-share some of the FSX functions... Is there any preference or advantage to using Ethernet hard-wired connection over WiFi connection? Thanks...

JumpDC3s

It'll depend to some degree on your home and how it's all arranged, Jump, but from your description - the advantage goes to hardwired ethernet - both speed and simplicity of setup. A single cross-over patch cord between the two pc's or two patch cords and a switch will do the trick. (Your internet modem probably has four ports on the back).

Ethernet speed - minimum - is 10Mb/sec and is secure. Most switches, routers and pc network cards are capable of 10 Mb/s, 100Mb/s, and many will run at 1000Mb/sec  (1Gb/s). 

Wifi comes in two speeds - either 2.4 Mb/sec (which is also extremely close to the Xohm/WiMAX cellular 'phone frequency - and can interfere), or 5Mb/sec. Most modern routers, extenders/adapters/modems are dual band (ac spec) and will work fine at 5 meg, but you must check this before you buy. A 5 Mb/s WiFi system can be quite successfully setup, and, while WiFi IS slower than ethernet - it's not hugely noticeable.  The big keys are 1). the adapter for your pc, 2). the router or modem you're going to use: 3). the price, 4). the ease of setup, and compatibility with each other,  as buying one wrong piece can set you scratching your head for days. 

Hope this helps.

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Generally speaking, a wired connection is easier and more secure than WIFI.  Having said that, WIFI can be cheaper (no cables to buy) and more convenient (no cables to run).  For FSX I sometimes connect a laptop to my simming computer (for PlanG and/or Little NavMap) and use an Ethernet cable... but both machines are sitting close to each other and a switch in my network, so for me an Ethernet connection is easy-peasy.  YMMV depending on your network config.

Wifi comes in two speeds - either 2.4 Mb/sec (which is also extremely close to the Xohm/WiMAX cellular 'phone frequency - and can interfere), or 5Mb/sec.

I think you meant to say WIFI comes in two frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  The speed we each see from our ISP is determined by what they offer and what we're willing to pay.

HTH

Greg

Yes - of course - "my bad", Greg....sorry!!   (old age is here) (sigh)  e.g. if adsl over copper telephone wire is the ISP's protocol, the internet speeds are going to "suck", maybe in the order of 2 - 3Mb/sec... download - but that is only going to impact on-line flying or other online game latency. If it's a fiber link - you're laughing.

As far a cost goes - 2 "good" ac pc adapters with antennae can cost as much as a four-port switch and two patch cords - and a lot more than a single crossover - but each method will work, all are do-able by the home user, and neither option is "expensive", nor difficult to set up.  

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

In my case the ethernet cable to the modem is 10mbs. Whereas the telephone line is 6mbs. The wifi connection which works concurrently is also 6mbs. So there's no difference between the cable and the wifi.

I think you meant to say WIFI comes in two frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  The speed we each see from our ISP is determined by what they offer and what we're willing to pay.

And also has nothing to do with the speed you'll see inside on your WiFi network.  WiFi speeds can be 11Mbps, 54Mbps, and even faster...I think maybe even 1G is possible now?  But still, this speed is internal - what you'd see from devices internally on your LAN as they "talk" to each other.

The speed from your ISP modem to the internet depends on how much you pay for and will probably vary based on other factors too.  For me, I have a 50Mbps connection to the internet(via my ISP).  Internally, my wi fi network is at 54Mbps.  So, pc to pc will be at best 54Mbps.  A single pc to the internet will be at best 50Mbps.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Can i also jump in this discussion :smile:

What about the lenght of the cables, if using them?

In my home situation, the lenght would be +/-  10 meters.  Is this an issue, am i still safe or could i better make use of my Wifi in this particullar case?

Thanks for any advice ...

William Vrielynck

What about the lenght of the cables, if using them?
In my home situation, the lenght would be +/-  10 meters.  Is this an issue, am i still safe or could i better make use of my Wifi in this particullar case?

+/-10m is no problem at all if you want to do wired.  It's been a long time since I've heard what the latest specs are for length of ethernet but I believe it used to be best to stay below a max length of 100m.  I'm not sure how valid that is any more as I believe that was for Cat5 and now I think we are predominantly Cat6?  Anyway, you're more than fine at a length of 10m or so.  The only disadvantage here is that you have physical cables to run vs WiFi.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Kevin,

Thanks, anyway i will first try my Wifi-equipment and see what this will give as results ...