Sign in to follow this  
ray123

Windows 10 vs Windows 7 for FSX?

Hi everybody!

I was getting error after error in Windows 10. Out of memory, shutdowns etc.

I'm going to completely reïnstall Windows. What do you guys think? Windows 10 or 7?

In Windows 7 i've never had any issues. That's why I have this dilemma...

And any suggestions about a special partition for FSX or a folder directly in de C drive?

Thank you!  :good:

Hi everybody!

I was getting error after error in Windows 10. Out of memory, shutdowns etc.

I'm going to completely reïnstall Windows. What do you guys think? Windows 10 or 7?

In Windows 7 i've never had any issues. That's why I have this dilemma...

And any suggestions about a special partition for FSX or a folder directly in de C drive?

Thank you!  :good:

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from an earlier version or was it a clean install? Upgrades often seem to cause unexplained problems as there are so many possible system permutations to try to cope with. I have FSX:SE running in a clean install of Windows 10 with no problems from the start (6 months). Although I've never had problems in the past running FSX from its default location, to be safe it's probably best to install it in its own folder outside of Program Files (x86). I would only give it a dedicated drive or partition if you're planning to install it on a hard drive (easier to keep defragged). I have mine successfully installed on the SSD boot drive with the OS.

If you're going to do a clean install of the OS, I'd recommend Windows 10. However, make sure that you get all of the Windows 10 motherboard, graphics and sound drivers for your system before you start. I'd leave automatic updates on but specifically stop automatic driver updates (see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15989-device-driver-automatic-installation-turn-off-windows-10-a.html). Allow the OS to fully update before installing FSX. Ensure that the basic FSX runs consistently well before installing any add-ons. Only install add-ons one at a time, running FSX thoroughly before each subsequent install to check everything is OK.

Unless you never connect your computer to the outside world, in a few years time support for Windows 7 will run out and you'll need to change to Windows 10 to stay secure. I was a big fan of Windows 7 but I now believe that Windows 10 is the better OS once you get used to it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks for your response!

I just installed W10 from scratch and I'll stick with FSX SE.

I think the errors came from freeware addons or ezdok. Before that I had no issues at all...

It's a shame my Orbx package and Pmdg don't work in the Steam edition :(

Hopefully there will soon be an installer for Steam!

Again thank you

Actually, all my Orbx and PMDG addons work without problems on my Windows 10, FSX-SE installation. So, no worry!

• Upvote 1

Felix

Hi,

I too have been wondering about Windows 10. 

I currently run FS 2004 on 5 screens  in an enclosed attic cockpit and am about to upgrade equipment to change to FSX, primarily for the addon options, particularly scenery. I am currently on windows 7 pro (I have never used win 10) and have heard that FSX has windows 10 issues.

So is the consensus that I should not worry and should opt for windows 10?

I also am looking for advice on equipment upgrade - CPU options etc. Can I ask that type of question here or should I look for another thread? Sorry - relatively (in fact, very) new here.

By the way - is the FSX Gold Edition okay to use? It's a 2 disc set and is described as "includes Flight Simulator X deluxe and acceleration expansion pack" 

Thanks in advance for any advice

Actually, all my Orbx and PMDG addons work without problems on my Windows 10, FSX-SE installation. So, no worry!

Really?? How did you do that?

I would use this simple equation:

Win7 + FSX = Works guaranteed with all add-ons, no messing up of the system by unintended Windows updates.

Win10 + FSX = Works mostly well, but there are some add-ons that don't work well win Windows 10 (best example: Level-D 767). The update system of Windows 10 has been a cause of concern for system stability for some.

I would use this simple equation:

Win7 + FSX = Works guaranteed with all add-ons, no messing up of the system by unintended Windows updates.

Win10 + FSX = Works mostly well, but there are some add-ons that don't work well win Windows 10 (best example: Level-D 767). The update system of Windows 10 has been a cause of concern for system stability for some.

Win 7 - you only need to look around the Win 7 forums to see that plenty of people are still having issues with updates. Sure, you can turn them off but you then run the risk of having an insecure system.

Win 10 - clean installs seem to have far fewer problems. If an update does cause problems, you can roll back and then hide it so it won't reinstall (see http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/). Personally, I've had almost no problems with updates in Win 10 (and they were easily resolved) - far less than I had in Win 7.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Well, this morning I flew for the first time again. Clean install Windows 10, Clean install FSX SE, no addons whatsoever...

First no problems... everything worked great. Almost all sliders open and all shadows/bloom selected. Framerates at about 30-40.

After landing I switched airplanes. Still no problem. I slowly put the throttle forward and just when the planes starts moving...

CRASH TO DESKTOP  :shok:

Slowly but surely I'm losing my faith in FSX. Maybe it's time for P3D  :Hmmmph:

on an open clean install of fsx-se on windows 10 i get 350fps. i have all my pmdg, orbx , dx 10 fixer and i have no problems at all. i fly x-plane most of the time, but i use fsx for my pmdg and a320x.i don't know why you would have problems.

I rebooted my system and did another flight... this time without problems. Fingers crossed

Well, this morning I flew for the first time again. Clean install Windows 10, Clean install FSX SE, no addons whatsoever...

First no problems... everything worked great. Almost all sliders open and all shadows/bloom selected. Framerates at about 30-40.

After landing I switched airplanes. Still no problem. I slowly put the throttle forward and just when the planes starts moving...

CRASH TO DESKTOP  :shok:

Slowly but surely I'm losing my faith in FSX. Maybe it's time for P3D  :Hmmmph:

At the time of the crash, I would go to Event Viewer and find out the reason/faulting module and error code that resulted from that event.   Often, there could be a fix for that, especially since you're running Win10.

Chris