Sign in to follow this  
ray123

Windows 10 vs Windows 7 for FSX?

I already did that but wasnt very helpfull. Windows 7 is finally good to go after 3000 updates or so :D

Now let's install Fsx SE

Update: Same problems in W7... back again to W10 for good. Now no problems anymore finally :)

All will end up on windows 10 it`s the last OS Microsoft will release in the end this will be good for flight simmers no more upgrades to new platform, Devs can make products for w10 knowing there no patches needed for a new OS, And we can set about optimizing on one platform. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 1/17/2017 at 4:53 PM, vortex681 said:

Win 7 - you only need to look around the Win 7 forums to see that plenty of people are still having issues with updates. Sure, you can turn them off but you then run the risk of having an insecure system.

Win 10 - clean installs seem to have far fewer problems. If an update does cause problems, you can roll back and then hide it so it won't reinstall (see http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/). Personally, I've had almost no problems with updates in Win 10 (and they were easily resolved) - far less than I had in Win 7.

Insecure system in what way? What if i have antivirus and anti malware software while browsing the internet?

5 hours ago, oscarduran10 said:

Insecure system in what way? What if i have antivirus and anti malware software while browsing the internet?

This quote from another site explains it better than I can:

"Question.

Are security updates really necessary? Can I just run Malwarebytes and stay secure that way? And if security updates are necessary, what then is the point of an antivirus?

Answer.

Yes, you should do both. Security updates and antivirus software do two similar yet different things.

Security updates fix exploits that are leveraged by specially crafting network communication or resources. In some cases, those shenanigans operate on a lower level than antivirus programs can deal with. Installing updates stops any such bad code from running on your machine. They're important for any computer accessible to any network and any computers that handle untrusted resources.

Antivirus programs stop bad things from running and search for bad files on the computer. They may or may not be able to see/block system-level exploits, but they can definitely look for and torch stuff like sketchy programs downloaded from the Internet. That's important for any home user that gets files from outside sources.

Even if they were more similar, defense in depth says that you should have multiple layers of security."

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

This quote from another site explains it better than I can:

"Question.

Are security updates really necessary? Can I just run Malwarebytes and stay secure that way? And if security updates are necessary, what then is the point of an antivirus?

Answer.

Yes, you should do both. Security updates and antivirus software do two similar yet different things.

Security updates fix exploits that are leveraged by specially crafting network communication or resources. In some cases, those shenanigans operate on a lower level than antivirus programs can deal with. Installing updates stops any such bad code from running on your machine. They're important for any computer accessible to any network and any computers that handle untrusted resources.

Antivirus programs stop bad things from running and search for bad files on the computer. They may or may not be able to see/block system-level exploits, but they can definitely look for and torch stuff like sketchy programs downloaded from the Internet. That's important for any home user that gets files from outside sources.

Even if they were more similar, defense in depth says that you should have multiple layers of security."

Now what if lets say my system is breached im sure a system wipe and reinstall of the os would fix the problem no?

37 minutes ago, oscarduran10 said:

Now what if lets say my system is breached im sure a system wipe and reinstall of the os would fix the problem no?

Probably, but why would you want to go through that? Windows 7 will be updated for a few more years then you're on your own as far as fixing vulnerabilities goes. Plus, any games/sims that use DX12 will have to have Windows 10 so why not go for it now?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

7 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Probably, but why would you want to go through that? Windows 7 will be updated for a few more years then you're on your own as far as fixing vulnerabilities goes. Plus, any games/sims that use DX12 will have to have Windows 10 so why not go for it now?

Cuz fsx is faster on a non updated windows 7. 

52 minutes ago, oscarduran10 said:

Cuz fsx is faster on a non updated windows 7. 

Curious observation... how do you know this?

Greg

I updated my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10. I'm running P3D & 3x versions of FS2004, with pedals & a yoke,with the UAC setting turned right down & running as Admin.

I feel that the sims run slightly faster & I have never had any issues at all, ever. I prefer an updated OS with the latest security & other updates all in place.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...