Sign in to follow this  
Pluto7777

Fluctuating FPS

Any help here about his phenomenon ? I have i7-6400 with GTX908ti and Panasonic 4k monitor. Monitor set at 30hz.

P3d set to unlim fps,  nvidia is set to 29,5 or 30,5 (30,0 not avb). When trying to determine the influenze on FPS by certain settings, i can see no difference, even with still view, my red FPS monitor keeps on jumping from 22 to 34, 38, 23, 28... how can you see a decrease of 10% then ?  its jumping around each half second...

Any help here about his phenomenon ? I have i7-6400 with GTX908ti and Panasonic 4k monitor. Monitor set at 30hz.

P3d set to unlim fps,  nvidia is set to 29,5 or 30,5 (30,0 not avb). When trying to determine the influenze on FPS by certain settings, i can see no difference, even with still view, my red FPS monitor keeps on jumping from 22 to 34, 38, 23, 28... how can you see a decrease of 10% then ?  its jumping around each half second...

What frame rates do you get without the nvidia frame rate limit set?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

same fluctuation, 28, 32, 38, 21 thats strange with outside view not moving isnt it ? in another group a guy told me, as i use 4K monitor at 30Hz, just to set in P3D the vert sync ON, and to set all other FPS to unlim for Nvdia and P3D. Then P3D should synchronize perfectly with my 30hz monitor ? (should...)

in another group a guy told me, as i use 4K monitor at 30Hz, just to set in P3D the vert sync ON, and to set all other FPS to unlim for Nvdia and P3D. Then P3D should synchronize perfectly with my 30hz monitor ? (should...)

Yes a lot of people are getting good results with those settings.

Big problem is you have to be getting a fairly constant above 30 FPS to start with.

Just running the monitor at 30Hz with Vsync on does not garantee anything.

same fluctuation, 28, 32, 38, 21 thats strange with outside view not moving isnt it ?

Well depends.

Is this at a major payware airport?

And then you would have to look at how high your p3d settings are etc.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Strange fact:  it is at   JFKv2 :  not moving the view standing at gate, and fps are jumping between min 22 and max 42. Traffic slider is at 100%, but when moving this slider to 0%  :  no change in FPS.

I ve heard that the traffic slider is a real FPS killer, but i do not notice...

What traffic are you referring to? Road traffic, airport vehicle traffic or other aircraft? Have you tried reducing all three types? What weather are you using? That may have an effect too...

Apologies, this is p3d and I use FSX:SE but they can be similar in so many ways.

One question no one's asked yet is how smooth is the sim when you're flying around?

Sometimes we are curious as to why something is happening without any apparent reason. However, forget the fluctuations, turn off the FPS indicator and see if you're happy with how it flies ;):cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Add

AverageFrameRate=2,1

to the [TextInfo.1] section of the Prepar3D.cfg file.

This will show you the actual average framerate. So you can better compare the performance with different settings.

However, forget the fluctuations, turn off the FPS indicator and see if you're happy with how it flies ;):cool:

+1

Turning off the FPS display was by far the best "tweak" I ever applied...  :smile:

Strange fact: it is at JFKv2 : not moving the view standing at gate, and fps are jumping between min 22 and max 42.

I think that's probably a symptom of your CPU 3.3GHz just not

having the power to run 4K at the settings you have.

I run 4K at 4.8GHz and still need to turn a lot of P3D's eye candy off.

I suggest you turn Vsync off  temporarily and then reduce as many

P3D settings as you can to get at least a steady 35FPS unlimited.

Then turn Vsync back on.

Have a look at the AVSIM P3D tuning guide to get an idea of the major frame rate killers.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/494633-prepar3d-guide/

gb

Traffic slider is at 100%, but when moving this slider to 0% : no change in FPS.

Hmmm.. does not sound right.

As you say 100% AI at a major airport is usually asking for trouble.

Maybe it's another sign that you CPU is totally stressed out.

Think more like 20% max.

gb.

Thx guys ! I ll try the average monitor FPS setting, indeed FPS monitor is the thrill of simmers, we should delete this monitor, but it came at the show, due to the many OOMs that people encounter...

And there we go again with the "bible" : i know..we only have 32 bit systems, we keep on working at the edge of the capacities, and we still try to load our systems still more with high demanding addons but at the other side, we try to keep out of OOMs...i guess, for many of us,  this balancing on the line is part of the thrill in the game ?

forgot to add: in my opinion we are anyway, anyhow almost at the end of flight sim century by means of actual single- or multi screens...Next level for all us will be......

VR simming !!  Virtual Reality helmet will bring us inside the cockpit and will give us the feeling that we really are there ! OK already on the market, but still in development faze.

I'll hope i can enjoy this new way of simming in the future.

This should bring us really close to pro-simulators real pilots train with.

due to the many OOMs that people encounter...

Frame rate has nothing to do with VAS memory allocation.  I don't see your connection.

I've locked my frame rate to 20 and forgot about it.  Got bigger challenges to conquer.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sorry Dan for this wrong choice of words, it should be: due to many CTDs that people encounter...(OOM is only related to VAS, right)

Simmers are anxious about CTDs and therefore we want monitors that can help us in preventing going over the edge in general.