Thanks Martin, really helpful tips!

To gelp eliminate things, I pulled the box apart and checked connections etc and all is as it should be.

Im using a gigabyte Z270 MB, i changed the fan settings to a custom curve to bring full speed on from 50 degrees instead of higher however still resulted in peaks in the 80s using FSX albeit a couple of degrees cooler.

I will update the BIOS to see if that helps. If it doesnt then certainly it would be the way Ive applied the TIM.

Thanks again.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Good luck Johnny.

Something that does happen from time to time, during installation, the plastic film is accidentally left in place on the base of the cooler. Doubt that's your issue, as the temp would be ultra high. But thought I'd mention it.

Incidentally. This forum member...

http://www.avsim.com/user/319518-daedalus/

Is also having similar issues, also with A Gigabyte board. He has a Z170 board though. Possible that Gigabyte have yet to sort out there Z170 or Z270 BIOS for Kaby Lake. Just a thought.

i have a z170 with the 7700k and having the same temp problems, i think gigabyte needs to update the bios for all the boards. the only bios update on my gaming 5 board was in november just to support kabylake. at 5ghz i am up near 90c at 1.35v. the temps shouldnt be that high at a 1.35v.considering the cpu voltage can go much higher. we are just gonna have to be patient. i plan on buying an asus z270 board when i can afford it.

I checked their website there are two new bios updates for the z270 so should be intersting to see how that goes.

Johnny Crockett

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if it fixed the issue. Tom Logan of OC3D.NET, mentioned yesterday in his video that "all" of the motherboard manufacturers early BIOS's were having issues with temps.

Same here guys..At the 90s in temp. So, I sent back my 7700K and waiting for the new one. It now seems to me that more probably that it was a BIOS problem instead of a chip temperature issue.

The weird thing is that I had contacted Gigabyte and they told me that they have tested the 100 series with the 7700K and were able to achieve a 5Ghz overclock on 1.3v with max temp of 70 C. They said LLC was on Turbo. So after their email I got more sure that my 7700K was having an issue and sent it back.

I looked on their website and still there is no newer BIOS version for my Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard. But after what I read here, I think I should ask them again.

I hope they take the customer issues seriously and not stay away of this problem.

• Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

So a bit of an update so far.

- I've setup a custom fan curve to bring full speed in earlier

- I've updated my BIOS to the latest update from Gigabyte

- Removed fan & heatsink and replaced the TIM as I had in fact done a crap job the first time

- Confirmed fan and heatsink are racing the right way and connections etc are all correct

None of this has made much if any of a difference. Now having never paid much if any attention to temps and clocks, I started monitoring my i7 4600 laptop temps. Turns out this thing rarely if ever goes below 50 degrees and under load hits 80-90 easily. I've been using this laptop for about 3 years for flight simming and it hasn't had any issues from running so hot. However, I notice on my laptop the lowest clock speed is 2.4ghz which is also its max non turbo, it's turbo is 3.2ghz which is goes to frequently. With the 7700K, it goes down as low as 1.5ghz to idle and keep cool I guess but jumps very quickly to 4.5ghz when it needs to which is where the temps jump. Is perhaps turning Intel speedboost off an idea?

At the end of the day, I'm not disappointed, whilst some say ideally you want temps to sit around 70 degrees, mine goes as high as 85 for brief periods so it still works fine it's never dropped below turbo clock so its not as if it is overheating. I'm starting to think that even though I have a basic aftermarket air cooler, it just simply isn't enough to keep this thing cool!

Johnny Crockett

For anyone having similar issues, Gigabyte have released a beta BIOS update which changes the voltage. Now getting temps in the high 70's at most down from high 80's and once even 90. So about 10-12 degrees lower.

Johnny Crockett

For anyone having similar issues, Gigabyte have released a beta BIOS update which changes the voltage. Now getting temps in the high 70's at most down from high 80's and once even 90. So about 10-12 degrees lower.

Hello! You are reffering to the Z270 motherboards? I am on a Z170 and there is no new bios after the first 7gen compatibility one.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Yes, I mentioned a while ago that this was likely to be incoming, given that Asus and other manufacturers had already done so.

When we say "change the voltage" have you identified which voltage that is? Clearly not CPU voltage as this is something we all fine tune when we overclock. So which voltage in particular? If we know this, then those that are still experiencing issues that a new BIOS hasn't addressed, can tune this voltage manually perhaps.

• Upvote 1

This is all fairly new to me so please don't take it as gospel....

With the old Bios in auto/adaptive mode (how the mobo shipped) I was getting Vcore in 1.35's

I had read elsewhere a few had been setting their voltage manually to 1.2V and getting much lower temps. I had intended to do this but when a new BIOS came out I tried that first. Adaptive now seems to be 1.224v at the moment.

Yes it's a gigabyte Z270 board.

Bear in mind also I haven't attempted to overclock yet so I haven't set any voltages manually. With the temps now stable and lower I might consider it but will probably get a higher end cooler first. Even though my TX3 Evo is holding up just fine, it's always nice to keep the temps as low as possible.

Ambient here is anywhere from 24-30c at the moment too.

Johnny Crockett

Oh right, in that case your experience doesn't apply to the high temps when overclocking issue.

The reason I ask, is that it's said that there were "background voltages" that were the issue. I'm interested to know what those background voltages were. This was stated by Tom Logan from OC3D.Net. Clearly the voltage that was causing high temps "when overclocking", addressed in BIOS updates, wasn't CPU temp.

Whatever it was that was changed by the manufacturers in the BIOS, certainly seems to have worked.

I find the digitfoundary videos to be quite interesting. I note that the Director, in his video here, also says that an overclock of 4.8mhz on the 7700k resulted in quite high temps.

Jason Jackett

That liquid metal TIM looks mysteriously like mercury. Is it also to be used when applying the cooling solution or just between the CPU and heat spreader?

It's not mercury.

It can be used between IHS and cooler as long as the cooler isn't aluminium. Otherwise it will react with the aluminium.

No need though, just between the die and IHS is enough.