Sign in to follow this  
Simmer12

Taxi Line

I don't browse the .org as often as I should I guess, I missed this one. Thanks for the heads up on it, looks really nice!

Now if only LR would add some more ground textures to build gateway airports with. Oh, and hangers. And some single story terminal facades. And more small airport type objects. And... on and on... :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I don't browse the .org as often as I should I guess, I missed this one. Thanks for the heads up on it, looks really nice!

Now if only LR would add some more ground textures to build gateway airports with. Oh, and hangers. And some single story terminal facades. And more small airport type objects. And... on and on... :smile:

I believe that's what the libraries are for.  If you go here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/90776-master-list-of-libraries/

You can see there are quite a lot of them.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I believe that's what the libraries are for.  If you go here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/90776-master-list-of-libraries/

You can see there are quite a lot of them.

Indeed there are... a lot of them. :smile:

I was referring to Gateway airports however, of which I am an author of a few, mostly small GA & regional strips. If you author and upload Gateway airports, they can only use objects and textures that are in default X-Plane.

I have nothing against airports created with generic third party scenery libraries, but I prefer to make do with what is shipped by default by LR in my work. My reasons for this are varied:

- One of the most common complaints by new users is flat, unimproved 2D airports. While this is less and less of a problem, it's only less of a problem if people continue to build and contribute to the sim itself. One can (and should) point new users towards the vast repository of scenery available at the .org, but it's unreasonable to ask them to immediately learn the steps involved in adding to the sim so that they can enjoy 3D airports when they are brand new to X-Plane.

- Yes, there are many addon airports available on the .org, but really, why would I want to download 100's of different airports and a myriad of libraries just to improve strips where I might fly a few times a year? I'd much rather have a 3D airport already in the sim, with an accurate-to-the-charts layout and acceptable 3D objects. Now... if it's a beautiful airport with custom made objects and a airport ortho, that's a different story. THAT, in my opinion, is where 3rd party airports shine. Those gems are few and far between, however - the bulk of the airports on the .org are simply the equivalent to a gateway airport, with a few hangars from addon libraries and some other objects added (along with dependencies to other libraries) just because.

- Most of the airports I've improved are in Canada, where the only way to add an ortho to any airport package that I can legally share is generally by purchasing the imagery, which isn't cheap (I've looked into it, for a possible payware project, payware only because I'd have to purchase the imagery). Without a ground ortho, I'm still just plunking down objects on top of ground textures - so I might as well use the default objects that LR provides.

- Third party libraries extend your selection of objects for sure, but they are still generic and don't match the actual objects at the real airport, so... again, I feel I might as well use the objects that LR provides.

Anyhow, sorry to go on a tangent there, but I thought it's worthwhile to share my reasons why I think it's worthwhile for LR to add more objects, instead of everyone just using 3rd party libraries. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Indeed there are... a lot of them. :smile:

I was referring to Gateway airports however, of which I am an author of a few, mostly small GA & regional strips. If you author and upload Gateway airports, they can only use objects and textures that are in default X-Plane.

I have nothing against airports created with generic third party scenery libraries, but I prefer to make do with what is shipped by default by LR in my work. My reasons for this are varied:

- One of the most common complaints by new users is flat, unimproved 2D airports. While this is less and less of a problem, it's only less of a problem if people continue to build and contribute to the sim itself. One can (and should) point new users towards the vast repository of scenery available at the .org, but it's unreasonable to ask them to immediately learn the steps involved in adding to the sim so that they can enjoy 3D airports when they are brand new to X-Plane.

- Yes, there are many addon airports available on the .org, but really, why would I want to download 100's of different airports and a myriad of libraries just to improve strips where I might fly a few times a year? I'd much rather have a 3D airport already in the sim, with an accurate-to-the-charts layout and acceptable 3D objects. Now... if it's a beautiful airport with custom made objects and a airport ortho, that's a different story. THAT, in my opinion, is where 3rd party airports shine. Those gems are few and far between, however - the bulk of the airports on the .org are simply the equivalent to a gateway airport, with a few hangars from addon libraries and some other objects added (along with dependencies to other libraries) just because.

- Most of the airports I've improved are in Canada, where the only way to add an ortho to any airport package that I can legally share is generally by purchasing the imagery, which isn't cheap (I've looked into it, for a possible payware project, payware only because I'd have to purchase the imagery). Without a ground ortho, I'm still just plunking down objects on top of ground textures - so I might as well use the default objects that LR provides.

- Third party libraries extend your selection of objects for sure, but they are still generic and don't match the actual objects at the real airport, so... again, I feel I might as well use the objects that LR provides.

Anyhow, sorry to go on a tangent there, but I thought it's worthwhile to share my reasons why I think it's worthwhile for LR to add more objects, instead of everyone just using 3rd party libraries. :smile:

Care to share a link or two of your creations?  I'm always on the lookout for new scenery, especially from those who care enough to improve the default airports.  TFG, MisterX6 and GPB500 are a good group of guys, for starters, who have created a decent amount of scenery that I use right now and they are pretty realistic, granted you also download the countless libraries to go with them, but the results are impressive.

Now, a little bird tells me that there may be a new version of WED coming out (probably after the final release of XP11) so this may help out the designers a lot.  I could be way off and it not, but LR should be receptive to requests for such things so it may not hurt to ask.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

TFG, MisterX6 and GPB500 are a good group of guys, for starters, who have created a decent amount of scenery that I use right now and they are pretty realistic, granted you also download the countless libraries to go with them, but the results are impressive.

MisterX6, GPB500, our friend Tony here, all perfect examples of creating airports where they are using not just libraries, but custom built objects designed to replicate the buildings and whatnot at the airport they're recreating. They do an amazing job, and in no way was my voicing support for Gateway airports designed to minimize the effort involved or the impact in having free scenery like that available. I'll go out of my way to download stuff like that for my sim!

Care to share a link or two of your creations?

My Gateway airports are no where near the level of the above mentioned authors! Being Gateway airports, they're all available either at the link I posted above, or in the default sim, if you wait for them to show up.

Currently, almost all of my airports have been updated to take advantage of the new AI parking that was introduced in XP10.50, and many of my early ones have been recently completely rebuilt to be.. better (I'd like to think I've improved in the time I've been doing this). However, none of the rebuilt airports are yet available in either the XP11 public betas, or in the latest version of XP10.

Most of my airports are in Western Canada, with 34 in Alberta, 7 in British Columbia, 10 in Saskatchewan, and hopefully by the end of the day, 1 in Manitoba (currently working on The Pas, CYQD).

Just a few quick screen grabs (XP10, no weather, low AA, since anything more would make the laptop I use for developing blow up, likely):

CYVG - Vermilion, AB:

GhtJwee.jpg

CYPA - Prince Albert, SK

kF8GZAF.jpg

CYYD - Smithers, BC

6tLZP7Z.jpg

Now, a little bird tells me that there may be a new version of WED coming out (probably after the final release of XP11) so this may help out the designers a lot. I could be way off and it not, but LR should be receptive to requests for such things so it may not hurt to ask.

The new version of WED will likely include the XP11 specific ability to define routes for ground traffic, but I doubt much else. I'd be presently surprised with a bit more functionality, but it's pretty powerful as it is at this point. As for requests for more objects, I have requested, and had it suggested to me that such things are in the works, but I'm very, very, very sure it'll take a back seat to actually having a released XP11.  :smile: 

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

MisterX6, GPB500, our friend Tony here, all perfect examples of creating airports where they are using not just libraries, but custom built objects designed to replicate the buildings and whatnot at the airport they're recreating. They do an amazing job, and in no way was my voicing support for Gateway airports designed to minimize the effort involved or the impact in having free scenery like that available. I'll go out of my way to download stuff like that for my sim!

My Gateway airports are no where near the level of the above mentioned authors! Being Gateway airports, they're all available either at the link I posted above, or in the default sim, if you wait for them to show up.

Currently, almost all of my airports have been updated to take advantage of the new AI parking that was introduced in XP10.50, and many of my early ones have been recently completely rebuilt to be.. better (I'd like to think I've improved in the time I've been doing this). However, none of the rebuilt airports are yet available in either the XP11 public betas, or in the latest version of XP10.

Most of my airports are in Western Canada, with 34 in Alberta, 7 in British Columbia, 10 in Saskatchewan, and hopefully by the end of the day, 1 in Manitoba (currently working on The Pas, CYQD).

Just a few quick screen grabs (XP10, no weather, low AA, since anything more would make the laptop I use for developing blow up, likely):

CYVG - Vermilion, AB:

GhtJwee.jpg

CYPA - Prince Albert, SK

kF8GZAF.jpg

CYYD - Smithers, BC

6tLZP7Z.jpg

The new version of WED will likely include the XP11 specific ability to define routes for ground traffic, but I doubt much else. I'd be presently surprised with a bit more functionality, but it's pretty powerful as it is at this point. As for requests for more objects, I have requested, and had it suggested to me that such things are in the works, but I'm very, very, very sure it'll take a back seat to actually having a released XP11.  :smile:

release notes just released http://developer.x-plane.com