Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

VSync 1/2 tweak not working anymore

it's very strange , I did several attempt, I really don't know where I slip-up. I put ForceFullScreenVSync=1

​under GRAPHICS section of cfg, I tried also to add

ForceFullScreenVSync=True   under DISPLAY section . 

Doesn't work for me.

Not a Windows 10 problem. It must be system specific as vsync (1/2 refresh rate) is working perfectly for me in Windows 10 Pro, 64bit with FSX:SE.

But that is FSX:SE, is there any chance only FSX (and not FSX:SE) would suffer from this?

it's very strange , I did several attempt, I really don't know where I slip-up. I put ForceFullScreenVSync=1

​under GRAPHICS section of cfg, I tried also to add

ForceFullScreenVSync=True   under DISPLAY section . 

Doesn't work for me.

But that is not even the proper way to get VSync working. You shouldn't need the tweak inside the fsx.CFG. It should work via NVIDIA Inspector.

I tried also to add those tweak in the cfg, but also without doesn't work in my system.

You should NOT add it in the .CFG, but in NVIDIA Inspector.

Now I'm helping other with something I asked help for. Haha. :)

The only other think I was thinking off, is that FSX is somehow not running in full screen, even though it looks like it is. How can I check? I alt+enter and it does seem to go from windowed to full screen. The thing is, in Windows 7, Aero always turned itself off. It doesn't do that anymore on Windows 10? I can remember in WIndows 7, Aero had to be off in order for VSync to work. But because FSX did that automatically, it worked fine.

You should NOT add it in the .CFG, but in NVIDIA Inspector.

Now I'm helping other with something I asked help for. Haha. :)

I have read somewhere about vsync problems in windows 10(windows 7 user here), and maybe that could actualy help, becouse of some kind of full screen problems. But, the right way to get it working(at least in windows 7)is to have all set in nvidia inspector(1/2 refresh rate) + locked fps inside fsx, and then to add "ForceWindowedVsync=1" under "Graphics" section in fsx.CFG and to restart aero after FSX starts. Maybe it's worth a try

I have read somewhere about vsync problems in windows 10(windows 7 user here), and maybe that could actualy help, becouse of some kind of full screen problems. But, the right way to get it working(at least in windows 7)is to have all set in nvidia inspector(1/2 refresh rate) + locked fps inside fsx, and then to add "ForceWindowedVsync=1" under "Graphics" section in fsx.CFG and to restart aero after FSX starts. Maybe it's worth a try

Ehm... I'm not running in windowed mode, I'm running full screen.

I only mentioned I was thinking of a problem that FSX wasn't really running in full screen, even though FSX fully fills the screen.

I only mentioned I was thinking of a problem that FSX wasn't really running in full screen, even though FSX fully fills the screen.

Unless you've used specific software to give you a borderless windowed mode for FSX, if it looks like full screen (so no border or title bar and no maximise/minimise icons), then it is.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Ehm... I'm not running in windowed mode, I'm running full screen.

I know, i'm saying i've read somewhere that windows 10 has a problem with full screen mode, so i was thinking maybe this tweak for windowed vsync can help. I can't test it becouse i don't use windows 10

If it prevents tearing it will also smooth out the image, because it will render all frames at a steady rate.

Well that is not correct.

Vsync just tries to garantee that each frame displayed is a

fully completed frame filling the entire screen.

It does not necessarily mean each frame will be displayed for the same time.

In fact if the system is dropping a lot of incomplete frames the result

could be less smooth than with Vsync off.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I decided to take a different plunge and bought P3D, and guess what? VSync isn't working there either! It does work when I set it to on inside P3D itself, but because I cannot maintain 60 FPS at high settings, I want 1/2 refresh. I don't work either. 

What the hell is going on?

And the thing is, it still works in GTA V just fine!

It must be something very simple, that I am overlooking. I there anything I have to do inside NVIDIA Inspector to make it apply 1/2 refresh rate. For GTA I only have to set it to 1/2 refresh rate and it will work. But for FSX and P3D when I set this, nothing happens inside the sim. Is there another setting I have to apply? What in the world could it possibly be. It's driving me crazy.

I don't have troubles very often, but when I do, it is something completely out of the ordinary.

AFAIK, full screen in P3D isn't true full screen. It's a borderless windowed mode, which is why they give you a vsync control in the P3D settings.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

As a last resort, I decided to reinstall Windows 10. I had the upgraded version anyway, so it probably wasn't a clean install. Also I hadn't reinstalled FSX since 2012 (I normally never have any issues).

So I configured Windows 10. UAC off, setting page file, setting power options, etc. Installed motherboard drivers, installed NVIDIA driver. Installed FSX, including the service packs. Now have the vanilla FSX.

Downloaded NVIDIA Inspector. Set VSync to "Standard" and "1/2 refresh rate". 

Still not working! 

Proves once and for all reinstalling doesn't fix anything.

Now there are two options left:

VSync does not work with FSX in Windows 10. Everybody who claims it's working only think it's working. Just want to point out: if you set it to on, FSX should be running at 30 FPS. Mine is running at up to 200 FPS (outside view in the Trike)

OR

I am overlooking a super simple setting. And therefore I hope someone could please list what settings I should set in order for VSync 1/2 refresh rate to apply inside FSX.

As far as I know, all I have to do is change the settings in Inspector and done.

Can someone please verify whether it's working for them? Set it inside NVIDIA Control Panel or NVIDIA Inspector. Then fire up FSX in a non demanding scenario (Trike in the desert for example where you would normally get 100+ FPS). Please verify whether or not your FPS is being capped at 30. Don't use an FPS limiter.

Can someone please verify whether it's working for them? Set it inside NVIDIA Control Panel or NVIDIA Inspector. Then fire up FSX in a non demanding scenario (Trike in the desert for example where you would normally get 100+ FPS). Please verify whether or not your FPS is being capped at 30. Don't use an FPS limiter.

Definitely working for me. FPS in FSX set to unlimited, no FPS limiter set in NVIDIA Inspector, vsync set to 1/2 refresh rate and 29-31 FPS in game.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

There is no more Aero in Windows 10 , it uses DWM and Vsync/tripple buffering is forced ON by the OS. 

Also try this fix: It would explain why some people have probs and some not. 

try disabling any On Screen displays in apps like Steam and EVGA precision etc... I've noticed too many of these OSD's can have an effect on vsync//

I decided it must be Windows 10 in combination with something, so I reverted back to Windows 7. 

Problem solved.

I think my older hardware causes a few problems in Windows 10. I had actually never considered my hardware to be old, because Sandy Bridge still kind of feels like state of the art for me. But it's just getting old, and perhaps the newest software and Windows 10 just aren't optimized for them, just like you can see in the video above. Thank you Steve, but it's too late to try that fix now. It might very well have been the solution. But for now, I'm using FSX, which is old software, on a computer that is slowly getting old. I think the best thing to do is therefore use the older OS as well. It's a pity, I kind of liked Windows 10, didn't have any major issues apart from this one. 

So if you are on an older system and having this problem, you can try the fix in the video above posted by Steve. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to revert to Windows 7. The performance is the same anyway.

Maybe I should have switched to P3D or something else already, but I'm holding off to see which platform will be the best and will fit my needs. I mean, were not even sure if companies like PMDG will develop for X-Plane (apart from the DC-6). I don't want to invest crazy prices into P3D, if X-Plane is going to turn out better. As soon as more will be clear about the future of our hobby I'm going to build a new system and switch to a new platform, and of course, use Windows 10. But for now, happy with Windows 7.