Sign in to follow this  
philphy42

Hello from NZ

Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.  

I recently picked FSX again from steam.  Previously I owned the boxed edition of FSX back when my computer didn't have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding.  How times have changed. Firing up FSX on my fairly newish computer gave me a pleasant surprise with decent frame rates achieved. No more chugging along at 10 fps, lol.  Anyhow I am from the North Island of New Zealand so I think one of the first addons I will consider will be ORBX NI NZ - I have viewed a few youtube videos and it looks superb.

I have always had an interest in aviation history and also used to do a bit of tinkering with RC helicopters and planes so I am definitely looking forward to getting back into flight simming.  No doubt I will learn a lot from the members of Avsim, it looks like a great community.

The upcoming development in flight simming looks fresh and exciting too with X-Plane 11 imminent and DG Flight Simulator on the horizon. Also note with interest that there are a number of other flight and air combat sims available now so does anyone have any recommendations outside of FSX and X-Plane keeping in mind my interest in aviation history.

Regards to all

Phil

• Upvote 1

If I were you, I would stay with FSX until the dust settles on the new developments.

Orbx scenery for NZ is really good, and there are many interesting payware airplanes to choose from.

Aviation history covers a lot of ground.. depending on what kind of airplanes you prefer, you can probably find something for FSX..

a2a has very nice warbirds, as an example.

https://www.a2asimulations.com/store/

As for classic GA aircraft,  a2a also has a top rated Cherokee and Comanche.

A personal favorite for a nice light twin, is the Alabeo Seminole. :smile:

Any questions, just ask!

Bert

A big Kiwi welcome from an Aussie. :-)

I've spent a lot of time on both the North and South Island of NZ.

Very beautiful place!

Welcome aboard !!!

Yeah NZ is definitely on my bucket list - looks like a beautiful country - just so darn far from me...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Welcome!

When it comes down to civil flightsims - and for now at least - i also think that FSX/P3D still is the best choice when it comes down to flying around New Zealand.

I have not been there in real life, but i am pretty sure that New Zealand is one of the greatest places on earth and i really hope to visit it one day.

Whenever i go flying there in the sim, i very much enjoy flying above ORBX scenery and flying above the fantastic Godzone Virtual Flight sceneries for NZ, which are also absolutely beautiful.

But i am also very much looking forward to - and hoping for - a nice rendition of NZ in XPlane 11.

Judging from an official statement about future plans for 2017 on its website, Godzone may provide some dedicated scenery for XPlane 11 one day.

Another very promising looking scenery for XPlane, which may be released some time in the future as well, is being introduced here at the forums:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/495803-new-zealand-ultimate-vfr/

So let's see what the future may be holding for us!

As for now though:

Have a great time flying!

:smile:

Thanks you everyone for your kind welcomes :smile:  I have been to many places around the world including USA, Australia, Europe and Asia and it doesn't matter where I travel I always see places of wonder, friendly people and cultures to marvel over. However no matter where I go and how good it is travelling it is always a great feeling flying back into Auckland on a beautiful day.  Yes NZ is a beautiful place and I feel very fortunate living here and you should all put it on your bucket lists !  :wink:

Thanks guys !

Some folks like photoreal better than Orbx - they both have their strong points.

The sheer size of the photoreal files is something to consider, but in the right

circumstances, it can look very convincing.. except for Autogen which is typically a weak spot..

Personally, I like the look of Orbx scenery.. but your mileage may vary.. :wink:

Bert