Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

TrackIR doesn't work in FS2

Just did some flights in FS2. Most things are going fine, however I couldn't get TrackIR 5 to work in FS2. In "Settings/Control" TrackIR icon is presented at the bottom of the screen. When I click it, a window opens and shows TrackIR is enabled.

-- TrackIR problem solved: https://steamcommunity.com/app/434030/discussions/0/357286663679029433/

Just need to click on the "Game Updates" on the upper right corner of TrackIR window.

There are two other glitches. First. if I use TARGET to run Warthog HOTAS on script, FS2 will fail to recognize the HOTAS setup. Right now I just directly assign those buttons. But scripting gave me a lot more flexibility and available keystrokes/buttons.

Second, I believe I got good fps (where to see the actual fps number?) but stuttering is pretty bad. The best settings for reducing stuttering is unlimited fps. The worst is to use Vsync. But I can't seem to get FS2 to run stutter-free over NYC. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Just did some flights in FS2. Most things are going fine, however I couldn't get TrackIR 5 to work in FS2. In "Settings/Control" TrackIR icon is presented at the bottom of the screen. When I click it, a window opens and shows TrackIR is enabled.

There are two other glitches. First. if I use TARGET to run Warthog HOTAS on script, FS2 will fail to recognize the HOTAS setup. Right now I just directly assign those buttons. But scripting gave me a lot more flexibility and available keystrokes/buttons.

Second, I believe I got good fps (where to see the actual fps number?) but stuttering is pretty bad. The best settings for reducing stuttering is unlimited fps. The worst is to use Vsync. But I can't seem to get FS2 to run stutter-free over NYC. 

First things first:

1) Check to see if your graphics drivers are up to date.

2) Make sure you are on the Aerofly Beta channel so you have all the most recent updates and fixes. (Just right click on FS 2 in your library and click on properties, then choose beta under beta tab)

3) CTRL + F1 Starts the in-game FPS counter.

4) Start trackIR before starting Aerofly

5) When the TrackIR screen comes up, click the upper left hand corner. The TrackIR icon. You will see a drop down menu. Click on the "game updates".

6) Turn down cumulus clouds and check to see if that helps FPS

7) Turn down shadows and see if that helps FPS

8) Make sure you have no strange FSX/XPlane based settings active in Nvidia control panel.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks! I got the TrackIR problem fixed, just as you and that post said. 

I haven't got to check FPS, but I think it's very good. Stuttering seems to be mostly limited to the NYC DLC. Probably due to this particularly heavy scenery plus my 4K TV screen. 

Everywhere else stuttering seems to be kind of minimal. I just blasted F-15 at 1300 knts 60ft above LA area. It was 99% smooth and quite a fun. 

Even at NYC, the fps in FS2 must be sth not even thinkable in P3D or XP11. A little bit turn off is that FS2 sceneries are kind of typical photoscenery looking, not exactly to my taste. I found I still like XP11 scenery much more. 

By the way, no cars no ships no moving objects at all on the ground and in the air do make the world in FS2 seem frozen and feel a bit weird. 

By the way, no cars no ships no moving objects at all on the ground and in the air do make the world in FS2 seem frozen and feel a bit weird. 

True, and something to be addressed.

Even at NYC, the fps in FS2 must be sth not even thinkable in P3D or XP11. A little bit turn off is that FS2 sceneries are kind of typical photoscenery looking, not exactly to my taste. I found I still like XP11 scenery much more.

Which is where, hopefully, Orbx and others will come in. In the meanwhile, good things are coming soon!  :wink:

(By the way, what are your system specs?)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This is on my brand new 7700K @ 5GHz, Titan X Pascal, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD etc plus Windows 10 Pro. I'm using an old 4K TV that can only do 4K at 30fps, not very fair to FS2's high fps. 

It'll be interesting to see how much Orbx can do for FS2. At least OSM-based autogen would be nice. 

This is on my brand new 7700K @ 5GHz, Titan X Pascal, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD etc plus Windows 10 Pro. I'm using an old 4K TV that can only do 4K at 30fps, not very fair to FS2's high fps. 

It'll be interesting to see how much Orbx can do for FS2. At least OSM-based autogen would be nice. 

I do 200+ FPS over NY smoothly with lesser specs (shadows off) using 4k Nvidia DSR, so you should be able to at least match that.

(Recorded at 1080p)

Devons rig

Is it a regular stuttering, like in every few seconds or so, or random stutters? I myself do get a noticable stutter when 3D buildings are being loaded in the distance. This happens suddenly and instantly. (I will post on the IPACS forum about this.)

But holy cow... with your super up to date high end top system AFS2 should be screaming and smooth all over. You can't get a better system than that. However, yesterday John Venema shared his current computer setup: it was just like yours and he told me that with AFS2 he can get an fps of 400 in places but around NYC it drops to 140. Of course this is still an incredible high fps but well... I personally think NYC isn't very good and it hits performance too hard. I can't help thinking: what if the entire city had been modeled... Having no to turn off settings on lower specs PC's already isn't a good sign. Still, the fps overhead in AFS2 is of course HUGE compared to other sims.

ohn Venema shared his current computer setup: it was just like yours and he told me that with AFS2 he can get an fps of 400 in places but around NYC it drops to 140. Of course this is still an incredible high fps but well... I personally think NYC isn't very good and it hits performance too hard.

The real problem (I think) is that the way Aerofly does shadows is too aggressive. If you fly Xplane and turn on shadows, you will quickly see those shadows cleverly fade in and appear and then disappear very close to your plane to keep down overhead. And even that's so heavy that very few people can use shadows.

Aerofly shadows on the other hand, affect buildings miles and miles away. In fact I'm not so sure they have a set cutoff range, and I think that's just too heavy. Using shadows over NY can drop your framerate from over 200Fps.......

Down to 140Fps.

In fact, Aerofly buildings may well not have a cutoff range either, since at height, you can still clearly see groupings of them that must be 100 miles or more in the distance. Zero popup. 

I spent a good portion of the day about two days ago transitioning back and forth between Aerofly and Xplane testing this theory and I think I'm on the right track.

The heaviness of the current Aerofly shadow implementation has been mentioned to the team, and I believe they're taking a look.

In the meantime I turn shadows down or even off.

Devons rig

Interesting find, HiFlyer: could be it indeed. AFS2 needs some sort of alpha blending for shadows and 3D buildings.

I do wonder btw how XP11 performs on your PC!

I do wonder btw how XP11 performs on your PC!

XPlane 11 is a weird one. I think its bound in some way, but I'm not sure which.

What I do know is that regardless of settings, FPS tends to hover around a certain range.

Devons rig

I built the system partly due to I got terrible fps since XP11 beta 3 with my old overclocked 2500K. However, the 7700K was not much better running beta 5. Beta 6 seems a quite a bit better but my fps over Ortho4XP tiles were still cut at least by half compared to beta 2. Very frustrating. 

As far as I can tell, XP11 only uses about 50%-60% of my CPU + GPU no matter how high I made the settings are. As HiFlyer said, it feels like XP11 has some kind of built-in limit that prevents it from using more than 50% of CPU + GPU power in order to make FPS hover within a certain range. But I do can get 60fps locked when flying around fully detailed islands like LPMA. 

I'll check the actual FPS of FS 2 on my system tonight. As I said, I suspect the fps is very high, but the stuttering, kind of random with time interval varying from a fraction of second to seconds are definitely present when flying over NYC. Flying pure photoscenery in FS 2 has virtually not stuttering even at 1300 knots in F-15. I did set my graphics to "Ultra" with everything to the max... 

If FS 2 can add moving cars and ships, AI planes and weathers and still let me fly over NYC DLC at 60fps, that'll be heaven.

You guys complaining losing 200fps to *140fps* are just being absurd and totally spoiled. Time for you guys to fly 20fps over NYC 20 times in P3D and XP11 to get a better bite of reality ....  

As far as concern about FPS drops below 200 (WOW - compared to FSX/P3D!!), for those of us that love flying with VR goggles, it actually is a problem. We have to maintain 90 FPS Stereo with SuperSampling of at least a 1.5 factor (to dramatically clarify the image) - so we definitely require nonVR performance to be greater than 200fps. There is nothing greater than looking out to the side seeing some close up gauges in Stereo and then your red Pitts Special wing gleaming in the sunshine, doing slow rolls over the rocky hillsides of the Grand Canyon or Sedona, AZ with a few cirrus clouds in the sky; and with a fluid framerate - the best!! So close to real life.

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

If FS 2 can add moving cars and ships, AI planes and weathers and still let me fly over NYC DLC at 60fps, that'll be heaven.

You guys complaining losing 200fps to *140fps* are just being absurd and totally spoiled. Time for you guys to fly 20fps over NYC 20 times in P3D and XP11 to get a better bite of reality ....

Call it absurd and spoiled, the problem is: if fps goes down to (a still AWESOME) 140 fps just because an amount of buildings have been added to the scenery, and nothing more, how much will fps drop further if you add "moving cars and ships, AI planes and weathers"...? If only buildings can cut fps in half, what about the rest?

And in addition: what Dave says:

As far as concern about FPS drops below 200 (WOW - compared to FSX/P3D!!), for those of us that love flying with VR goggles, it actually is a problem. We have to maintain 90 FPS Stereo with SuperSampling of at least a 1.5 factor (to dramatically clarify the image) - so we definitely require nonVR performance to be greater than 200fps. There is nothing greater than looking out to the side seeing some close up gauges in Stereo and then your red Pitts Special wing gleaming in the sunshine, doing slow rolls over the rocky hillsides of the Grand Canyon or Sedona, AZ with a few cirrus clouds in the sky; and with a fluid framerate - the best!! So close to real life.

Dave

I am wondering if someone is able to fly above the NYC DLC with a rift and still get good enough performance (with all settings maxed).

BTW You could say that NYC simply is very heavy but seriously... the buildings are in a quite small area only with a lot of (unrealistic) repeated textures and outside of the area there is absolutely nothing but random trees... This simply shouldn't have such an impact on performance.

I am wondering if someone is able to fly above the NYC DLC with a rift and still get good enough performance (with all settings maxed).

At ultra, AF stays locked at the required 90FPS per second in VR for me. That's even if I max the supersampling.

BTW You could say that NYC simply is very heavy but seriously... the buildings are in a quite small area only with a lot of (unrealistic) repeated textures and outside of the area there is absolutely nothing but random trees... This simply shouldn't have such an impact on performance.

Depends on the frame of reference. I have Drzewiecki Designs New York for Xplane, and after turning everything to its lowest graphics setting and then turning objects down until just the city was showing. I got a grand total of about 50fps.  :unknw:

Some history: When Aerofly released NY for FSX it was an insta-purchase for me, and I practically doted over my old birth city, trying to coax good frames out of the sim with various settings. Mathijs and I even had some very nice conversations back and forth on the Aerosoft Forum about settings and recommended hardware, but still, my max never exceeded about 27fps, and when I cautiously added FSDreamteams JFK airport to the mix, poor FSX rolled over and died, with framerates that could only be called a slideshow.

Me was sad.

All these years later, Finally having not only the city, but several detailed airports in the vicinity at hundreds of FPS is like finally reaching shangri la. I'm actually not too worried about the missing buildings in the empty areas. With the performance the sim has shown to date, I think there's more than enough headroom to draw down FPS a bit with extended scenery. The only qualms I have is will AF be able to sustain the required FPS in VR when that happens.

No sim we have currently is really able to run so many buildings with shadows active, and I'm not sure if Aerofly will be able to either, when all is said and done. That's something I keep in mind for the future, since when thinking of the sims FPS, I'm also very seriously thinking about the eventual VR performance as well.

As far as concern about FPS drops below 200 (WOW - compared to FSX/P3D!!), for those of us that love flying with VR goggles, it actually is a problem. We have to maintain 90 FPS Stereo with SuperSampling of at least a 1.5 factor (to dramatically clarify the image) - so we definitely require nonVR performance to be greater than 200fps.

Exactamundo.

Devons rig