Sign in to follow this  
JYW

The Carenado Meridian is out!

If Carenado made table lamps, the On/Off switch would be reversed, and the light would only function when turned upside down. The box would show a picture of a red lampshade but it would in fact be green.

But, ohhh, what a beautiful lamp.

• Upvote 2

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It's nothing new for Carenado, in fact it has been like that since the beginning of the company. Some of the bugs in any "1.0" Carenado product are just mind boggling. I can understand that under certain, unusual conditions, something might not work properly. But how in the world do they still manage to reverse the functionality of switches etc.? How hard is it for a beta tester to click the light switch into the On position and verify that the lights come on and the switch actually animates?

If Carenado made table lamps, the On/Off switch would be reversed, and the light would only function when turned upside down. The box would show a picture of a red lampshade but it would in fact be green.

Honestly, I don't think Carenado perform any beta testing, other than a 10 minute "does it look ok?" discussion, prior to putting it up for sale!

• Upvote 4

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

I'm also wondering if this aircraft really only does 85% torque as the max power setting???

I'm not 100% on that, but I know that the PT6-42A used in the aircraft is flat rated at 850hp, but limited to 500hp at most flight phases (certainly at take-off), which might explain the 85% torque at take off full power.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

I'm not 100% on that, but I know that the PT6-42A used in the aircraft is flat rated at 850hp, but limited to 500hp at most flight phases (certainly at take-off), which might explain the 85% torque at take off full power.

Bill,

What do the FPS of this beast compare to that you own?  Also, how's that G1000 on flight planning, going direct to a new fix.  From previous airplanes, I'll admit that I'm very nervous about Navigraph since it killed performance on previous airplanes.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

going direct to a new fix

That's my real pet peeve - all the fancy navigation equipment - glass cockpits - FMC for additional cost - GPS - and you can't go "Direct To" - why even bother... They should stick to steam gauges - with 3D refits for the GTN/GNS and MilViz Weather Radar - at least we would have planes that could navigate realistically...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 3

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi all, just got it so here we go. I've based my to-buy-or-not-to-buy decisions on these forums many a time, so it's time to give something back.

Given the excellent Jetprop the expectations were high...

As a real pilot I do also have a bit of time in the 46 and other turboprops, although very limited.

In addition to what others already said, here's what I've dound in the first few flights, total of about 3 hrs flying

- VC windows, ON/OFF not working

- MFD goes black when opened big in 2D (both the pop up and the VC remain black so the only option is to zooooooom in in VC)

- MFD switching between Topo and Terrain not always works

- PFD FD too high? Even in descent with VS in serious negative it asks for a few degrees up

- Can't overtorque max 84%, the Meridian has an over-torque protection, could it be Carenado got it correct?

- Overshoots ILS loc few times during zero wind approaches. GS fine

- The real Meridian is very right rudder demanding on take off, sure, but in this one you need a serious amount to even taxi straight at 10kts

- FDE seems meh, ok. Extremely light on the controls expecially ailerons

Now, the G1000

- FLC and D-To: FLC yes, D-To no. FLC is very accurate but for Direct-to you can't from the flight plan. Need to type in the fix, then it will fly direct

- G1000 flight planning airways? Forget about it.

- MFD G1000 airframe showing still TBM850. Is it really that hard...

- Where did the Navigraph go? Even with current 1701 Airac installed it shows 2006, all the post-2006 waypoints are missing. The CJ2 can see it, why not the Meridian?

- Weather radar actually works, showing something. I added the AS16 gauge and it doesn't seem to agree, really. And then it shows tilt of...150 degrees UP and can't change it. Not a word about weather radar in the supplied documentation.

- Pressurization works

Overall

- Actually, suprisingly not so bad on FPS. Even on my old i7 3770 (yes, non-K) at 3.40GHz it gets well over 20 with weather and heavy sceneries

- Stall behaviour seems quite reasonable, incipient spin- forget about it. 

- Here's one shocking find, the visual is actually not as amazing and pretty as expected. Like others pointed out the vents for example, the yoke shape is weird (I'd know, I got my licence in Pipers). Outside as well, honestly the Jetprop looks like higher quality. Doesn't make sense, it's 2017. 

I'll post some photos and videos tomorrow since it's 4am.

Anyway, that's just few thoughts, hope it helps and looking forward to what others think and find.

If you have any questions, happy to help out.

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Malek

Sydney, Australia

That's my real pet peeve - all the fancy navigation equipment - glass cockpits - FMC for additional cost - GPS - and you can't go "Direct To" - why even bother... They should stick to steam gauges - with 3D refits for the GTN/GNS and MilViz Weather Radar - at least we would have planes that could navigate realistically...

Their screenshots seem to indicate that it works now so that's why I was asking.  My bar for these airplanes is "how close to being able to fly with it on Vatsim or PilotEdge is it?"  If it can't do that, I probably don't want it.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

Bill,

What do the FPS of this beast compare to that you own?  Also, how's that G1000 on flight planning, going direct to a new fix.  From previous airplanes, I'll admit that I'm very nervous about Navigraph since it killed performance on previous airplanes.

FPS is probably on par with any other Carenado G1000 a/c.  Doesn't seem any heavier, nor noticeably lighter on frames. Not sure if you own any other of their G1000 a/c but if so, I dare say you'll get similar performance from this.   I have their SR22 and performance is about the same, perhaps marginally better in the Meridian but not a lot in it.

Can't yet comment on the DTO as not flown it since last night's quick test flight.... but based on Chris's comments I'm not optimistic. Certainly if DTO works, it'll be a first for CAR.    FLC as reported by myself and Chris seems well improved compared to CAR's previous efforts.  What I have not yet tried yet, is selecting FLC directly (without a previous vertical mode).  It works flawlessly when VS is set prior, and airspeed is stable.    Some past CAR airplanes (PC12 and Citation II) seemed to have some trouble selecting FLC directly.   Will test this on my next flight.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

FPS is probably on par with any other Carenado G1000 a/c.

I don't have any Carenado glass airplanes at all.

Gregg Seipp

It is just a hoot to watch a company who takes such pride in the lack of professionlism and showcase the fact that not one of their developers has the ability to learn a new technique...not even when folks like Bert have shown them how to fix many of them. It makes me chuckle when I see something new from these outlaws and we all (myself included) come running to see the next chapter in what has to be the slowest moving train wreck on the interweb thingy.  :t0102:

• Upvote 4

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Like with many other products in the shiny world of IT, as long as enough people buy the stuff why stop the scheme. I like my Carenado models for their visuals but I gave up asking for any tech realism. Will skip this one though. 

Hans

It makes me chuckle when I see something new from these outlaws and we all (myself included) come running to see the next chapter in what has to be the slowest moving train wreck on the interweb thingy.

I think that (the "outlaws" part) is a bit harsh (and keep in mind, I'm speaking as someone who has not bought a Carenado/Alabeo plane for years now, so I'm not exactly a fan).  These guys have a business model which involves churning out really pretty models of planes and a lot of people want what they're producing.  People like pretty and MANY don't care overly much about the details.  The model has worked for them for some time now, so what incentive do they have to improve?  We're the ones who've got to provide the incentive.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me

I think what frustrates me the most is that they've done a number of planes that are this close to being extremely good.  And yet, here we are.

Scott

• Upvote 1

Like with many other products in the shiny world of IT, as long as enough people buy the stuff why stop the scheme. I like my Carenado models for their visuals but I gave up asking for any tech realism. Will skip this one though.

Maybe now that the big iron field is getting crowded, we'll see a dev move down a notch to business aircraft.  They've proven they can make beautiful, accurate, efficient aircraft.  There are a slew of possibilities and things in the pipe are probably a year or more away except for that Lear 60XR that's rumored by someone but not confirmed.

Gregg Seipp

I think what frustrates me the most is that they've done a number of planes that are this close to being extremely good. 

I agree... and maybe I was a bit harsh but in my world I was taught that when you offer a product or service you do your best to always make it the best you can. It just seems that no matter how low we set the bar Carenado seems to find a way to under perform. Man even the Cubbies had a good year last year!! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Hi all, just got it so here we go. I've based my to-buy-or-not-to-buy decisions on these forums many a time, so it's time to give something back.

Chris, you just saved me some money..  Thanks!  :hi:

Bert