Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

How Do I Create a Proper Tower View in FSX

Hi,

I've noticed that at some of the airports the tower view is not correct. Examples are Orlando international and Hartsville International. I have the latest AFCADs that I can find. I've checked the tower locations in ADE and they are correct, according to Google Earth. The one thing I found that is not correct is at Orlando International, I've noticed that I had 2 control towers, but Orlando International only has 1 large and very tall control tower. So I deleted, or removed the tower that was not supposed to be there using ADE. Regarding the other tower, the location appears to be correct in ADE but the tower view is still not correct in FSX. I'm not inside the control tower, and at the correct height as I should be. Regarding the correct tower view height, I've been reading suggestions on here where one can use ADE to set the correct height. Editing the altitude using ADE does not change your perspective in reference to how high you are in the control tower view. If you edit the altitude from 0 to 200', it places the entire control tower 200' above the ground, that is, the tower will be suspended 200' above the ground. Zero is the correct altitude, meaning that it's on the ground. There's a zip file called "Creating a Proper Tower View" for FS9 but I haven't seen anything for FSX. So, I'm thinking the only way to set the correct tower view is editing the Camera file. But the problem with that is you would have to go back and forth between editing and checking the tower view in the simulator, which seems to me would take way too much time. In other words, it's trial and error when there should be some way of editing the tower view where you can see exactly where you are in that view. Is it possible to set the correct tower view in FSX using the same technique as in FS9?

Ken Manning

You could create additional tower views in the cameras.cfg or, if you have a special vehicle to drive around the airports, in the aircraft.cfg.

Duplicate the "Facilites Tower" from cameras.cfg, give it an appropriate name, a correct id=sequence number and a new Guid, set "instance based = No" then fill in FixedLatitude, FixedLongitude and FixedAltitude. You can then call that view from inside the simulator in the "Tower" context menu.

LORBY-SI

I guess to make things clear, where and how do I go about editing the tower view in FSX? 

Ken Manning 

Ken,

The 3D model of the tower and the Tower Viewpoint are two separate elements.

In ADE the Tower Viewpoint is a pink circle with a red "T" in it.

Double click on it and you can set the view point height above ground level.

As for being "inside the control tower", I hope you are not expecting to see the inside of the control tower as that is not usually modeled.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif