Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Two Settings - Clarification On Them

So I have did some searching and really can't find what I am looking for so will start a new thread. In P3D, what is the performance cost, both in VAS and FPS with respect to the two below settings and more importantly, will I really notice much of any change visually? Thank you

1. "Scenery Complexity" setting of Very Dense and Extremely Dense.

2. Shadow slider at medium and high. 

Eric 

The answer to that is really system dependent. A really strong system will see little effect but better visuals. A weak system will have greater performance hit.

I am not aware of anyone that has done specific benchmarking of those items other than - if you are having VAS and FPS issues - turn them down. On my system, I see no performance issue and I do notice a visual difference.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks Vic, I have a pretty powerful system so I'll give them a go and hope the OOM gremlin stays away.

Eric 

Every time I've had an OOM, and it's only been a few times, It's always been with Orbx/Vector. If I disable those or really dumb down the settings, all is good. But it's happened so few times, I don't worry about it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Scenery complexity controls the amount of scenery objects displayed, including airport buildings and objects (including jetways, static vehicles, buildings, etc) as well as general scenery objects like city buildings, unique bridges, points of interest, etc. The setting is fairly demanding but if your CPU is strong, it doesn't make too huge of a difference (except maybe between the lowest and highest settings.)

Shadow quality controls how many "cascades" are performed at each shadow LOD. To put it simply, at lower settings, more distant shadows will look more and more jagged and blocky. This sighting is totally a GPU-dependent setting, so if your graphics card is strong it won't make a whole lot of difference UNLESS you have all shadow cast/receive options turned on, which can put quite a load on your GPU when drawing shadows for all autogen objects for example.

Thank you sir for the explanatios. Much appreciated!

Eric