Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Just Flight 146-200 300 Jetliner problem

I just installed Just Flight's 146-200 300 Jetliner base pack in FSX.  After the install I went to move the "146-200 300 Jetliner" folder from the main Program list to another "Fltsim" list/folder but got a "Cannot delete file:  Cannot read from the source file or disk".  Simply trying to delete the main "Just Flight" folder from the main Program list resulted in a "Cannot find the specified file, Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"!

I was able to left click on the location folder I wanted to move the "146-200 300 Jetliner" folder to then clicked on "Explore"  I then manually created a new folder and was able to move the contents of the original "146-200 300 Jetliner" folder to the new one.

Is there a way to remove/delete the original Just Flight/146-200 300 Jetliner folders?  Otherwise, short of reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows and ALL my programs, I'm stuck with this orphaned Just Flight folder!

This is usually caused by invalid characters in the filename or a filename that ends with a space.  I've ocasionally had this problem when transferring files from other OS's (particularly Linux) but I've never heard of it happening with a Windows install, so your installer may have been corrupted in some way. The good news is that you don't have to reinstall  Windows although you will have to use the command line.

Open a command-line window in the Start Menu folder and type "dir/X" (without the quotes).  This will give you a list of files in the folder, with both their full names and their 8.3 names as used in the prehistory of home computing on MS-DOS and Win 95/98.  For example "Downloads" will appear as DOWNLO~1.  Find the folder you want to remove, ensure it's empty and type "rd" followed by its DOS name, and assuming you've got the permissions and rights it'll be gone.

I managed to resolve the problem by uninstalling the JF 146 which deleted the unwanted empty Just Flight folder.  After reinstalling it I had to move Just Flight folder to my Games\Fltsims\FS Utilities\Misc folder.  I still couldn't move only the 146 subfolder.

I still get "CreateSound Buffer failed" and "DirectSound failed to initialize" messages when I load a JF 146 and again if I end the program.  I have to minimize FSX in for to remove them and get back to the Free flight window.

JF 146-200/300 only cost me $8 (it was an intro sale price).  I just might have to consider dumping it and getting something else like QualityWings BAe 146 (which I have for FS9) though its a bit pricey...