Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

der8auer releases his Delid-Die-Mate 2

Some of you may of heard of the Delid-Die Mate. Handy tool for painless delliding of CPU's. Trouble is, it was quite pricey. 

The new version is much cheaper at 29.90 Euros. About £26. Seems a better design to me too, easier to operate. 

Nice little clamping mechanism too, if you wish to glue the IHS back on, rather than letting it float.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/der8auer_releases_his_delid-die-mate_2_to_the_market/1

Magic just what I was looking for,just about to build a i7700k system and was looking at the reported temps

Peter

Seems better than the old tool. Easier to install the CPU. Less bolts to tighten.

Are there reliable user results on how much delidding reduces temperature on retail 7700K like the one I bought?

Mine does 5 GHz on 1.4v, not so good, so I'm interested at delidding, although never done it before.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

That's beautiful, smart guy...thanks Martin :) 

I suppose then then we apply thermal paste and the heat-sink sits there? I can imagine it needs careful quantity of thermal paste to not short out any contacts on the chip.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Are there reliable user results on how much delidding reduces temperature on retail 7700K like the one I bought?

Mine does 5 GHz on 1.4v, not so good, so I'm interested at delidding, although never done it before.

Minus 30 degrees has been reported, but expect anywhere from minus 10 to 30 degrees. Pretty much the same as with Skylake. 

Cool Laboratories Liquid Pro or Ultra is the TIM of choice. Use a lesser TIM and you won't get such a temp drop. Some are using Thermal Grizzly now I believe.

That's beautiful, smart guy...thanks Martin :) 

I suppose then then we apply thermal paste and the heat-sink sits there? I can imagine it needs careful quantity of thermal paste to not short out any contacts on the chip.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum re delliding. Or look on YouTube. It's for Ivy Bridge but similar process.

Liquid Pro or Ultra is a liquid metal TIM. It's gently spread on the die and also the underneath of the IHS. Some apply nail varnish to the PCB to protect it. Not necessary though, most don't. 

You can sit the IHS loosely on top of the die and allow the CPU retention clamp on the motherboard to hold everything in place, or alternatively, re glue the IHS with a thermal adhesive.

I's be a bit more gentle cleaning off the old adhesive than this guy, but this is it for 7700K...

Delidding my 6700k resulted in a 25c drop using coolaboratory liquid pro, I'm told to expect the same with the 7700k. I own the first gen delid die mate and it's a wonderful tool, I'll be getting this one for sure based on my experience with his first model.

I was generally negative to deild a cpu especially if its new like my 7700K and I should admit that this device make things look easy and much more safe than using a razor to cut off the IHS. I see the expected release for Delid Die Mate 2 is 22 February and I think I may put an order on it then. 20C below is a considerable temperature drop which can yield an OC of 5.2-5.3 Ghz easily on the 7700K. That's a considerable jump from a 4.6 Ghz overclock.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

If delid lowers my 7700K by 20C I'd very much consider buying the kit and try it. Right now I want to wait and see more people reporting big temp drops by delidding their 7700Ks. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

If delid lowers my 7700K by 20C I'd very much consider buying the kit and try it. Right now I want to wait and see more people reporting big temp drops by delidding their 7700Ks. 

No reason it should be any different to Skylake. TIM is critical though. Pro or Ultra.

There is a variation in terms of the job Intel did though. A few chips have an awful Die/IHS Tim application, in which case a big drop in temp can be expected.