Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

FSX/Norton AntiVirus Insight Problem

I just recently installed FSX on a new system (well it was new a couple of years ago!) after a 2 year hiatus and am having a problem with Norton AntiVirus attacking and removing various files, seemingly at random, from aircraft, scenery and some 3rd party instrument installs claiming that they contain a file called "WSReputation.1".  I've been able to restore the affected files (which have all come from well known and reliable commercial addon products).  But really becoming a pain in the neck!

Actually, I've encountered this problem with DataNav's FMS data update files.  Almost the instant I unzip the files Norton AV deletes them claiming they contain this virus? file.  I have to disable Norton AV's auto protect to run the navdata files!   I didn't always encounter this problem though.  It only started up a few years ago when NavData changed the way the installation files run.

Is there a way to disable Norton AV's Insight feature or instruct it not to scan for this "WSReputation 1" file?  As near as I can tell its completely harmless (least ways I've never had a situation where it caused any problems)...

must  be   some  where  in norton  to exclude   scanning  your fsx  folder,  or   must be  some  where  to also  exclude  the file  you are  having  issues,   

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Open Norton, go to settings, Antivirus then Scans & Risks. In that section you can add files and folders to be excluded from the scans and sonar protection.

I have used Norton security for years and not had any problems with it.

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

Hopefully, the Scans & Risks will work as far as excluding the FSX folder & contents goes.  I've tried it with the NavData update installers but apparently they are altered in some way from month to month causing Norton AV to see them as a different file everytime.  Listing them in the file exclusion list doesn't work because of this.  Actually, I didn't use to have a problem with Norton AV and the NavData installers until 3 or 4 years ago when NavaData modified the installers.  That's when Norton AV started claiming that they contained the WSReputation.1 virus and removed them the instant I unzipped them...

Well, I have to disagree with you, Kylan.  I've been using Norton ever since I got my first PC (an IBM PCjr) back in1986.   For the most part, Norton works great.  It usually does a great job detecting viruses.  It has changed in ways I don't like over the years but not enough to cause me to switch to something else.

• Upvote 1

Same that sometimes happens to me but when I scan them with AVAST AV Program it says 'No threat Detected'. So I think you should get AVAST.

Link:  https://www.avast.com/

Hope that helps

Regards,

JWMuller

I would go for Avast if I were you, at least it doesn't get rid of something that is harmless. I'm not going to let poorly Windows Defender protect the PC, So I have Avast

Once I ran my X-Plane 11 installer and it got rid of it saying "x-plane.exe is not safe and has been removed" and then I had to take it out from the Quarantine!!

Uninstall norton. It's garbage.

+1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Scott, with all due respect, your antivirus program isn't doing anything and hasn't since Windows XP SP2 enabled the firewall by default. In fact, you say it's "attacking your files, seemingly at random" which, ironically, sounds more like malware. You say it "works great" but I'm not sure exactly how you would know. I assure you, if you ran that same computer without an antivirus, you wouldn't even know it. As long as you are running Windows 7 or newer with the latest update and UAC enabled, you are just as protected as you would be with a $200k dollar, enterprise software threat detection suite like Panda. Saying you use Norton because you've been using it since 1986 is like saying you still use your Motorola DynaTEC cell phone because you "have used it since 1986." If having an antivirus would let you sleep a little easier, let me recommend a free, lightweight antivirus directly from Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

Regardless, you need to adopt best practices to avoid being infected, whether you have an antivirus or not. Not clicking on links in emails, checking the URL of an unfamiliar website (valid certificate, no crazy URL like wellsfargo.com-748.sk), enabling visible extensions in file explorer (so you don't fall for the old 2017taxes.doc.exe trick). An antivirus cannot protect you from yourself. You need to be proactive with this stuff. Welcome back to the hobby.

• Upvote 1

Scott, I'm uncertain as to what your real issue is; but, I want to add a note on Norton.  I've used Norton for, literally decades including the last two corporations and the one I have been most currently employed by.  Norton has served me and continues to serve me well.  For you or anyone wondering, don't take my word for it.

Google Norton ratings and you'll fine it's AAA rated with excellent lab results by a number of well respected testing organizations.  

With FSX and Norton on two different computers, it serves me well; and I might add, is never disabled nor have I ever excluded FSX from its scans.