Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

FSX/Norton AntiVirus Insight Problem

The latest versions of Norton include all kinds of garbage utilities that run in the background, have nothing to do with antivirus scanning, and seriously slow your machine down. If you have Win10 you don't need an antivirus program - one is built-in. If you have Win7 use MS Security Essentials for free.

DJ

• Upvote 1

I run Nortons on three Flight Sim computers without any issues whatsoever, including countless beta tests for flight sim software.  Those who know me here, know that i have a rather deep understanding of computer security and computer security software.

Nortons is rated by an independent laboratory as being in the top 3 security suites, and it has an very small performance impact - I don't notice it at all.

The trick with any security suite or antivirus is to disable the antivirus feature when installing any flight sim software - for the reason that you're having problems, which is that flight sim software is niche software, often not tracked by computer security software producers.  That's exactly why is was flagged by Reputation (essentially it was not known), but nothing else.

My very best wishes.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Dave,

With all due respect to your credentials be aware that mine involve development and security on windows and unix systems for over 40 years. I don't give a hoot about independent laboratory tests, I do, however,  see what my own are doing. Beginning with the last version of Norton for 2016, performance went down significantly as Norton went to being bloat ware. Users may do what they wish, of course, but my observations stand.

DJ

• Upvote 2

i have a rather deep understanding of computer security

I run Norton

Those two statements are mutually exclusive. 

• Upvote 1

Free Avast - dumped norton and its cost years ago

Richard,

Certainly you're call, but there's a ton of threats that an antivirus alone doesn't offer protection from.  This is why I recommend a full computer security suite.  Now, that said, I'll always agree that the number protection is the person sitting at the computer, but threats have evolved in ways that most people are not aware of, and today even going to a website you've visited many times before can be a risky venture.

Please understand that I offer this as advice, and not criticism, I don't belive in telling anyone what the need to do.

My very best wishes.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

Really?  Well, I guess I don't know them.  I'm just a computer engineer with a formal networking background.  Silly me.  And very silly for listening the the highest rated - rating authority for computer software.  Guess I'm just missing it all!  LOL

With all due respect to your credentials

And I certainly respect yours my friend. But I can just tell you what my experience has been on three slightly different rigs running FSX/P3D, two other desktops, 2 laptops, and a handful of Andriod devices.

Now, I'm not saying Bit Defender might not be better, but on my systems Norton's isn't the monster some say it is.  When I'm running FSX/P3D, I'm also streaming, watching the stream, running an EFB, web broswer with multiple pages (static though the may be), and I have the USB buses maxed out - all on one system.  I don't have any lag on anything, and Norton's is fully up and running.  I'm using an i7-4770K at 4.3 GHz and an NVIDIA GTX960.

Anyway, that's my experience.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Richard,

Certainly you're call, but there's a ton of threats that an antivirus alone doesn't offer protection from.  This is why I recommend a full computer security suite.  Now, that said, I'll always agree that the number protection is the person sitting at the computer, but threats have evolved in ways that most people are not aware of, and today even going to a website you've visited many times before can be a risky venture.

Please understand that I offer this as advice, and not criticism, I don't belive in telling anyone what the need to do.

My very best wishes.

Hi Buddy - hope all is well with you - I hear yah but after 6 years of using avast I have not had one problem - maybe lucky lol - doubt that - also I dont hit up the bad sites  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Kylan, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about (for example, which version of Windows I'm using) and are speaking incoherent gobbledygook as far as I'm concerned.  That, and you are treating me like I'm a clueless idiot who only yesterday began using a computer (I've actually been using personal computers since 1986) or only began using the Internet a couple of hours ago.  I've been aware of the practice of not opening links in emails (or even opening emails from someone you've never heard of), most likely longer than you've been alive.  Spare me, please, such condescending comments.  Most insulting was your apparent belief that I need to be protected from myself.  What does any of your condescending nonsense have to do with my original post anyway?

And just what the heck do you mean by "Welcome back to the hobby"?!  Where did you get the idea I had left it (and which hobby are you talking about)?!  Actually, those were rhetorical questions as I couldn't care less what your answers might be.

Ray,  actually, before Norton added its "Insight" feature I had never had an issue with Norton.  Like you, I've been using Norton for decades (since the mid-80s) and have been a long time fan of it.  Strangely enough, up until I restored FSX from a backup a couple of weeks ago, the only problems I had with Norton was with it claiming (after Insight became a feature a few years ago) NavData's FMS data installers being infected with WSRputation.1.  Part of the problem with the NavData installers is that that was also about the same time that the way the NavaData installers functioned changed and may be the reason why Norton now mistakenly thinks they contain the WSRputation.1 malware.

Free Avast - dumped norton and its cost years ago

yep  dont  know  why users  pay  for  virus  protection now days,  iam sure  they the  ones  who  make  them  to stay in the market :Tounge:   dumped  my pay  ware  many years  ago  using  mse  with  no issues  at all

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Folks choose various programs, paid or free, for various reasons.

There are reasons I choose to buy Norton.  And, please forgive me if this sounds like a commercial.

It is an antivirus program but it has added features that offer:

--Spam protection

--Identity theft protection

--Automatic history and disk clean up

--Ongoing, automatic disk optimization

--Cloud backup

--And with the age appropriate monitoring afforded by the freely added family protection, the kids in the house are protected from inappropriate sites and I get a weekly detailed email reporting the internet sites they visited.

These are reasons why I use it.

Everybody has their own needs, requirements and preferences.

Everyone has their own favorites.

And, by the way, I like Chevrolets better than Fords; but, that doesn't make Ford a bad car.

Well, as I've already mentioned, I use Nortons.  I do believe Bit Defender to be a little better performance wise (I've tested it as well as Karpersky despiste what I had do to system wise to do this).

My decision to go with Nortons over the other two top rated Security Suites was financial, due to the number of systems I have.

Now, there is a HUGE difference between a security suite and a basic Antivirus, and while I don't need a few of the things that Norton's provides, I view the other protections it provides up and above a basic antivirus to be essential. 

Obviously, the more process (protections in this case) one has running, the more impact it will have. But again, my performance isn't degraded at all.

Anyway, food for thought I hope. Computer security is something we should all revisit at least annually.

Best wishes to everyone.

Dave Hodges