Sign in to follow this  
BillCusick

Fr Bill..some advice please..

Fr Bill...

I'm going to have to rely on your extensive experience now re programming in FS...

Bearing in mind your quote re 'I am learning at least three new things every day, I am, however, forgetting at least four things every day' or something like that.

Some years ago I printed out the fantastic GMax manual. It is now becoming a little 'dog eared'. I read it constantly in the er..library. I've got to - to be able to recall the contents. However I am noticing that my memory, like yours, is starting to, shall I say, 'disappear'. :fool:

So much so that I am regularly starting back at the beginning, over and over again. It is hard work. I've even noticed that I am performing actions and creating files that I've, er, already created just a few weeks ago. So I'm asking your advice. :P 

Do I:

1. Lie down for a while

2. Print out the manuals again and then lie down

3. Give up and fly ?

4. Wait for the men in white coats ?

5. I forget...now where's that pesky Gmax icon....

Now, what was I going to ask you ?...........

:Cry:

Regards
Another Bill

Honestly, I can offer no advice on whatever it was you were going to ask...

Lately I find myself thinking a lot about the hereafter, especially now that I'm only two days away from turning sixty-eight.

Several times throughout every day I find myself in one room or another wondering "now what the heck I'm here after?"

I'm not going to worry too much though until I've reached the point where I find myself staring at the toilet and wondering why I walked in there... :unknw:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Lately I find myself thinking a lot about the hereafter, especially now that I'm only two days away from turning sixty-eight.

Several times throughout every day I find myself in one room or another wondering "now what the heck I'm here after?"

I'm not going to worry too much though until I've reached the point where I find myself staring at the toilet and wondering why I walked in there... :unknw:

I totally understand as  I am 2 years head of you.

God bless.

You have me beat by only a couple of weeks!  to BillCusick just pour yourself a stiff drink!  Everything will be OK! :good:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Fr. Bill..

Been there...done that

I'm 77 (& a half :smile: ) and I have that problem often. Mustn't grumble I suppose - I see guys & gals around me who are much worse off than myself.

The main reason for this post - I'm perusing FSDeveloper more than usual re GMax. Your replies are quite numerous, and extremely knowledgable. So I thought I'd ask for a few tips...only joking. My learning curve is becoming a vertical line at this age ...

Charlie...

You have me beat by only a couple of weeks!  to BillCusick just pour yourself a stiff drink!  Everything will be OK! :good:

Yep, done that too. The only problem is that my doctor has told me to limit my intake - otherwise I'll be stiff too....

Seriously though, I admire guys like Fr Bill. He is one of the stalwarts of FS and scenery creation. He pops up all over the place when I'm looking for 'inspiration'.

Like Fr. Bill often says, I'm also forgetting more than I'm learning...

Charlie, I dunno whether you have used GMax, it is a brilliant freebie. However I'm using a 30" Dell monitor, so the menus & icons are a tad small for my 77 yr old peepers......problems, problems....

I also have a problem with 'Decision Height' - I can never make my mind up ... :LMAO:

Regards, and thanks for you replies.

Bill

With all the anonymity on the internet, you sometimes tend to forget other people's age. My grandfather never even managed to get close to a computer until he gave up, despite being interested about "this internet" thing and buying a computer and whatnot. Still, despite all the age difference around here, self-motivation to dig for information and a good deal of willingness to experiment is the primary prerogative if one is to achieve even minor results not just in Gmax, but in any of the various add-on making tools.

But here's a start: Try to find Milton Shupe's GMax tutorial on FSDeveloper or with Google's help. I can't remember if it gets into specifics regarding the user interface or GMax' basic operating principles, but it does provide some guidance in terms of aircraft creation.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Also make sure to visit sim-outhouse, lots of enthusiastic gmax users there with links to loads of tutorials and other help.

Barry Friedman

Just keep plodding away at it and re-read the GMAX manual! I'm hoping that a deep interest in flightsimming and all that it involves will keep my brain ticking over for another few years as I rapidly hurtle towards state pension age!

Yet another Bill

Thanks Bjoern/Barry/Bill/Henry & yet another Bill

As y'all may have realised - my post was a little 'tongue in cheek' - but many thanks for your replies.
Yes, I have Bill Womack's basic texturing video, and  I've seen Milton's tutorials.

..but I forget where I put them...

As the Mrs says - it keeps me out of mischief

I'll try a little more of the amber liquid - see if it helps my memory...the only problem there is the screen gets a little fuzzy... :P

Regards
Bill