Sign in to follow this  
19dcavscout

GoFlight VantEdge Elevator Notchiness

SO I just received my GoFlight VantEdge yoke and I am experiencing, for lack of a better term, notchiness in the elevator around the center. The aileron is incredibly smooth, but the elevator is really bad. It feels like the metal shaft is rubbing along the case or something else internally.  I really would have expected more from a $500+ piece of equipment.  Anyone else experience this?

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Yes.  I got one as a Christmas present and experienced the same thing.  There is binding or sticking in the shaft that makes it difficult to make fine corrections in the elevator axis.  It was quite frustrating.  That is, until I called GoFlight. 

The gentleman I spoke to suggested that I try applying some clear silicone grease to the shaft.  This involves opening the case (4 screws, you need a hex key).  Inside, you will find that the shaft slides through 2 sleeves or collars made out of some type of plastic.  This is where you apply the grease.  I did that and moved the shaft around to spread the grease.  After that, it felt like a different yoke, very smooth.

The grease is very thick.  You will feel this when you push or pull on the yoke...it won't fly back and forth as if there's no resistance.  But, it gives the feel that you're flying an aircraft with some weight behind it and it is buttery smooth.  I have no problems making fine corrections in the flare or in other phases of flight.  I am now very happy with this yoke.

I can't say that you won't have to apply more grease as time goes by, but it was really easy to do so I would have no problem with that.  The GoFlight rep said that they do apply grease to the shaft but that sometimes in shipping it either melts off or is otherwise displaced.  I know when I opened mine I saw little if any traces of grease before applied more.  But, as I said, it fixed the problem for me.

I hope this helps you enjoy your new yoke.

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much! I will order some grease today.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Fixed it with some D2 aviation grade silicone grease that some of my maintenance had and it did the trick. It is MUCH better now. Thanks again.

Nick Hatchel

Hi--just got the same yoke and have the same problem. Also tried the same solution with the silicone grease.  The yoke elevator axis is still very sticky--about the same as before the grease was applied.  Any other suggestions or should I just contact Goflight?  Thanks.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I think maybe I've fixed it.  Put at least one cubic inch of silicone grease on the blocks--both sides.  Extra grease appears to have fixed it.

However, I can't get the Goflight software to recognize the yoke--even though W7 and P3Dv3 both do.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sorry, I'm not using Goflight software so can't be of help with that. Not having problems using the yoke in my sims.

Regarding the grease, I figured more grease would help. I would think that if Goflight would just use sufficient grease in the first place when assembling the yokes, then people wouldn't be having problems. Or, if there is a compelling reason not to, then include a tube of grease with the yoke along with instructions if the customer feels it necessary to use it.

It was an easy fix, though and I really didn't mind doing it. It really made the yoke feel significantly better. I have an old game port PFC yoke and I would say it compares favorably. Considering new PFC yokes cost about $200 more I would say the grease was worth it.

• Upvote 1

Now the hat switch won't work. :mad:  When I center it  with what normally would be a straight ahead view, without touching it, the view slowly pans upward until I'm looking straight up.   I then move down the hat switch to the forward view and it springs back to a vertical view.  I tried the Windows 7 calibration and it confirms that the hat switch default view is upward, not forward.

I will be returning the yoke and going back to my CH Eclipse.

Wow, cannot believe you have to go through this on a yoke with this kind of price tag.

I agree. Bought mine last summer and immediately was unimpressed with its 'lumpiness' around center, mostly in pitch. Made for many porpoise style landings! Initially I just smeared grease on the shaft (not wanting to open it up) and worked it around, that helped a little. Over a few months time it got better, but still was not great. Finally a few weeks ago I removed the cover, cleaned the shaft thoroughly and applied both a bit of grease and a teflon liquid lubricant sprayed onto a cloth. It has been smooth as silk ever since. 

So in the end, it's far better than the Saitek or CH yokes I've used and I've no regrets...I'd give it 3.5 stars. This would be a solid 4-4.5 star product with proper factory lubrication.

Greg 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Guys, just remember that if the shaft or any other parts are plastic DO NOT use petroleum based grease as it can soften & damage the plastic parts.  Silicon and teflon are ok but nothing oil based. (fyi - been working in the plastics industry for 30 years)

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I would hope the bearings (sleeves) would be made from a ceramic material not plastic. A 500 quid yoke would deserve it.

Metal on plastic is no better than a Saitek.

Edited by Gabe777