Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

My Broken Kaby Lake Story:(

Today was a sad day. Received my new desktop, first one in 8 years to replace my loyal i7 920 build. Ordered the works...7700k, 1080 gtx etc. and spent a pretty penny (USD 2500). I worked from home today to await its arrival only to receive a smashed up computer. Based on the damage, it seems somewhere along the line, someone dropped it. So much for Swiss quality that I always hearing about over here. Anyway the graphics card was dislodged from the motherboard and bent out of shape, the side glass panel of the tower was cracked and there were a couple of pieces rolling around inside. I called the store and they told me not to touch it or try to remount the graphics card (it looked slightly bent from flexing around in the case during transit). Now I have to go through some process where the supplier Digitec, files a complaint to the post office and makes them pay before they will send me a new one (which according to their website the next batch are due in 2 or 3 weeks to add further insult to injury - I had picked up the last one in stock).

And the irony, the exact same thing happened with my last i7 920 build 8 years ago, the delivery snapped the graphics card part that connects to the motherboard. And who says lightning doesn't strike twice...doh!

The moral of the story is that pre-ordering prebuilt computers to have delivered to your door is possibly a bad idea especially in terms of the graphics card which I imagine doesn't quite like been thrown around or bounced up and down during transit. I had actually jokingly predicted this would happen last night and it did. Now its time to do the lottery. Maybe I will have better luck. :fool:

Oh god, sorry to hear that. I always build my own. However....

I had a similar occurrence all be it on a smaller scale. Ordered a posh Asus monitor. When it arrived and the courier had gone I noticed a large boot print on the box. Yep, sure enough, when I powered up the monitor the screen was smashed to pieces internally.

Took about 3 weeks before I got my money back.

Oh god, sorry to hear that. I always build my own. However....

I had a similar occurrence all be it on a smaller scale. Ordered a posh Asus monitor. When it arrived and the courier had gone I noticed a large boot print on the box. Yep, sure enough, when I powered up the monitor the screen was smashed to pieces internally.

Took about 3 weeks before I got my money back.

Yes, I guess that's the risk we run. Apparently I will get a refund so apart from wasting half a day sorting it out, not so bad (I told them waiting 3 weeks was too long).  Its more and more tempting to build my own. I just worry that something will go wrong and I won't be able to figure out which part is causing the problem. On one hand it looks straight forward when it works, on the other hand it looks complicated when things don't go right.

Well I have to be truthful... when you build your own PC, from time to time, issues do arise and it's necessary to troubleshoot.

I have quite a few spare parts I can swap out, always the easiest way to identify faulty components.

Doesn't happen often though, over the years I can only recall two occasions when a PC I built had an issue from day one. One was a faulty stick of RAM which was easy to identify and put right, and the other was a motherboard, a PC I built for a friend. So no, it's;'s not that common.

And don't forget, there's a wealth of experience here on the forum to assist you, most of the chaps here will bend over backwards to help you.   :smile: