Sign in to follow this  
spirittoo

XP Users That Can't Afford TrackIR

For those of you who can't afford the high cost of TrackIR for $135 or more check out TrackerXP  It doesn't have the 6 DOF it doesn't work the same.  You have to slide your head from side to side instead of turning with your eyes where the cam can see them.  You use a web cam which isn't nearly as much as the TrackIR camera.  There is a demo you can use to check it out to see if you like it.  Bob the creator gives outstanding tech support.  He will definitely work with you to get the program working the way you want it to.  It allows you to see all around like TrackIR.

So if you are looking for something like TrackIR but can't afford the high cost, and don't want to spend a lot of time figuring out how to get the software to works TrackerXP is for you. :dance: :hi:

Also working well with XP11 is FaceTrackNoIR.  Have been using it off and on, works very well in XP. I've been using it in a few other games too lately. Also uses just a webcam.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I tried FaceTrackNoir, but I could not figure it out, I put a lot of time into it and the tech support wasn't very helpful.  If you can get it to work great, but if you can't Bob's software is the way to go.

Man, I actually own a TrackIRv5, had it for years and try it every so often, yet I never can get comfortable with it or figure out what the hubbub was all about ha.

I'm still to this day a HAT switch and mouse view guy, plain and simple, even after 30 years of simming and trying to incorporate the TrackIR for the last 7 or so. I just hated having to move my head and look out the sides of my eyes to see my screen. Maybe this is more annoying because I wear glasses or just don't like tweaking my neck? No idea. Never could get used to that or enjoy it. Was completely unintuitive to me.

But, others love it and won't fly without it! :Party:

Glad there are cheaper options!

• Upvote 1

Man, I actually own a TrackIRv5, had it for years and try it every so often, yet I never can get comfortable with it or figure out what the hubbub was all about ha.

I've used it for years too, and I agree it has limited use in a civilian flight sim. I use it mainly when flying a pattern, so I can glance left (or right) for a quick view of the runway. It's also useful when landing a helicopter, to glance over and down for a view of the ground texture while handling the controls. Those last 5-10 feet when settling down from a hover are the difference between a greased landing and something rougher in a helicopter.

Where TrackIR or less expensive options excel over anything else (except full VR) are in the combat flight sims. Including space sims that support it like Elite: Dangerous.

It's critical to keep "eyes on the bogey" while you're doing hard maneuvers with hands on stick, throttle, and other controls. Panning around with a hat switch just doesn't cut it in combat, compared to what you can do with head tracking to leave your fingers free with a natural-feeling "eyes on" contact with your target.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

You can get a good head tracking program and the gear you need for about $50 from here.  http://www.trackhat.org/

It works with more then just XP!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I've used it for years too, and I agree it has limited use in a civilian flight sim. I use it mainly when flying a pattern, so I can glance left (or right) for a quick view of the runway. It's also useful when landing a helicopter, to glance over and down for a view of the ground texture while handling the controls. Those last 5-10 feet when settling down from a hover are the difference between a greased landing and something rougher in a helicopter.

Where TrackIR or less expensive options excel over anything else (except full VR) are in the combat flight sims. Including space sims that support it like Elite: Dangerous.

It's critical to keep "eyes on the bogey" while you're doing hard maneuvers with hands on stick, throttle, and other controls. Panning around with a hat switch just doesn't cut it in combat, compared to what you can do with head tracking to leave your fingers free with a natural-feeling "eyes on" contact with your target.

Combat sims can make sense.  Of course, in those, I always use "Padlock" view and then that gives me the awareness I need to find what I'm trying to track or see without issue.

I don't know why, but with "tracking cam" devices, I just can't get around the fact I have to look away from my screen for it to work.  Simply doesn't jive with my brain or eyes.  Maybe I'm just simple minded or old ha.

Now, VR goggles I'm sure will be the proper answer to my concern once resolution and performance are adequate.

I don't know why, but with "tracking cam" devices, I just can't get around the fact I have to look away from my screen for it to work.  Simply doesn't jive with my brain or eyes.  Maybe I'm just simple minded or old ha.

It just takes practice, and calibrating the device for a non-linear change of rotation. You have to get used to the idea that moving your head just 20 or 30 degrees to the side will swivel the view way over to the side, or even to the rear for a "check six." And then the view has smaller degrees of motion when you're looking ahead, so you can do fine-motion stuff like adjusting flight panel controls.

Now, VR goggles I'm sure will be the proper answer to my concern once resolution and performance are adequate.

I hate to break it to 'ya, but the head tracker in a VR headset will work the same way as TrackIR if you're sitting in a chair in front of your flight sim controls.

Anything related to combat flight sims with a "check six" will still use a non-linear degree of motion, so you can swivel your head around to see things without breaking your neck while sitting in a chair. Real combat pilots do that, but sim pilots find it uncomfortable. Especially us older guys.

:smile:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I was using FreeTrack years ago, II used a single LED light for up/down left/right, the other DOF were not worth the hassle trying to get it set up.

As you can see in this old video it is a very simple set up, but works great, don't laugh at the old monitor, lol.

This was in a friends office at our terminal building at KMWL.

Of course I use Track IR 5 now.

Aaron Tirrell

I hate to break it to 'ya, but the head tracker in a VR headset will work the same way as TrackIR if you're sitting in a chair in front of your flight sim controls.

Anything related to combat flight sims with a "check six" will still use a non-linear degree of motion, so you can swivel your head around to see things without breaking your neck while sitting in a chair. Real combat pilots do that, but sim pilots find it uncomfortable. Especially us older guys.

:smile:

Actually, it does not work exactly the same.  With VR, the cool part is the screen moves with my head, so I'm not stuck turning my head trying to look at a fixed monitor by moving my eyes left/right/up/down to see the screen.

My little dabbles with VR seated were great, much different than my Track IR experience.  But, ultimately, it's not a fair comparison as it's such a more expensive route and the headsets aren't good enough yet.