Sign in to follow this  
spartan76

Advice needed to build real world Archer IFR trainer

Hello All,

Not a FSX expert sooooo....

I need some expert advice to build a Piper Archer that I will use at home to continue my real world Instrument Rating training up to my checkride.  I am looking primarily for real world navigation capabilities.  My issue is I need my sim at home to match real world fixes and approaches.

Here is what I have and what i'm looking for:

Currently:

FSX, stock.  Logitech joystick.  I have my Ipad and foreflight linked in.  Which is great!  

Want/need:

Garmin 430/530 (identical in function to real thing) with real world navigation - I've found the mindstar aviation 530/430 and says it works with realnavdata.com , is that good?

Does the 'scenery' need updating?  - How do I get full functionality between fsx and a 3rd party GPS, isn't the ILS data or other navaids in FSX?

Good yoke, heard Saitek not as good as the CH products or is there another?

Button stack for tuning nav/com radios, squawk, etc.

good Archer II/III add on aircraft maybe

Looking forward to seeing what's recommended!  

Greg

There is no good archer available. The one from Carenado is terrible. Almost nothing works right or within the confines of the real thing.

You want the Cherokee from A2A. It's the plane the Archer was before the tapered wing and 5 inch stretch. Your power settings will be accurate. Other procedures will be basically identical.

Then get a good Garmin trainer. There are several options that natively support the A2A Cherokee.

Hi,
I was thinking of doing the same but there aren't any good Archer around and time went by so fast that I'm probably several days from my check ride, so I set up all I needed for the CPL training in Seminole.

For the hardware, I'm using Saitek Yoke + Throttle and CH rudder pedals. The Saitek yoke only turn 45* so if you want to turn all the way 90* I believed Saitek Cessna yoke can do that.

Just curious where are you doing your training? I'm flying the Archer III too.

Cheers!
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Thank you....What about real world GNS 430/530 and fsx nav data?

Here is my list of needs in order:  Thoughts?

1. Up to date nav data, in FSX and/or garmin gns 430/530

2. Yoke

3. knob and button stack, Saitex seems to be the only option unless I haven't looked hard enough

4. rudder pedals, forgot those but aren't as necessary

5. Archer add on, this is a need, it's a nice to have.  the C172 stock in fsx is fine for procedures training.  Which is primarily what I'm looking to use this for.  And to pre fly a future training flight or checkride, IPC, etc.  

6. VATSIM, forgot this as well but if its good i'd be interested in checking it out

7. great real VFR add on scenery for upper midwest, WI and IL? 

Just checked out the Cherokee from A2A, looks real good, thanks for the tip!

As for a Garmin 430/530, the best choices are RealityXP and Flight1.

Suggest RealityXP for FSX-original (boxed) and Flight1 for FSX-SE (Steam edition)

You will need an updated Garmin database which can be found if you ask around nicely..

Send me a PM with your email address and I can show you what another

Archer pilot (owner) put together for his IFR training.

BTW, the CH Products USB Yoke and Saitek Combat Rudder pedals are pretty good choices for controllers..

Bert

knob and button stack, Saitex seems to be the only option unless I haven't looked hard enough

you haven't looked hard enough, here is something many times better than the Saitek stuff.

https://goflightinc.com/

What you really want is Pilot Edge

Unless you plan on not flying in the NAS there's no better training than flying with air traffic.

https://www.pilotedge.net

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |