Sign in to follow this  
caaront

I am flying in 3D VR HD at good FPS for $10

Yeppers, my only investment was $10, I already had everything else.

Lag free, high def, and no screen door effect at all.

If you have a VR headset, cheapest one you can find, does not matter, and a cellphone with a good sized screen, and can download a free program to your computer, you can have an awesome VR, life sized, lag free experience for a measly $10 price of an IOS or Android cellphone app.

YeeeeeeeeeHaaaaawwwwwwww!!!

Snoop dawg caaront be doin da happy dance in da howz!!!

After first being unhappy with Kino VR on my iPhone 5S because everything looked so tiny and almost giving up I had a revelation.

I was watching my wife play a game on her whomping huge iPhone 6 Plus and it clicked.

I downloaded KinoVR from the app store to her cellphone and I am in VR Heaven.

You also need to download anfd install Kinoni streamer to your PC (free, free, free and easy for you and me) to connect to your cell phone.

I am flying in Aerofly FS2 with the phone wifi off in settings, and the phone connected to a USB port on my PC, with zero, and I mean absolute zero, let me pontificate here, zero lag.

I am in the plane, in the plane, let me tell you there is no higher veracity than what I am telling you, I am telling you that I am inside the plane, everything is life size, crisp clear view, and I am rocking it hard!!!

I am happier than a desert box tortoise with a Canadian night crawler. 

KinoVR is for IOS or Android, and streams very nicely, but if you turn off wifi in the phone settings and plug the phone via the USB charging cord (it supports that now, just turn off your phones wifi) you can fly all day with zero lag, and without discharging your phone's battery.

And although it is free for a 5 minute demo, it costs only $10, and it works with any cheap VR headset, and it works for all your games.

I successfully set it up in 3D, so I was experiencing it all in 3D, but I found out I liked another setting much better.

I love it best set to image duplication, it is crystal clear there and you are still in the cockit surrounded by all the VC glory.

HERE IS THE SKINNY:

Don't have a VR heaset? Get thyself to Walmart and buy a $12 VR headset, if you already have one=Free.

Download Kinoni Streamer to your PC=Free.

Download KinoVR from appstore or google play=free for 5 minute demo, $10 for the pro version.

I know you have a cell phone so there is no other costs whatsoever.

One caveat on the cell phone, bigger screen is better.

My 4" iphone 5S - too small,

iPhone 6 Plus with 5.5" screen - VR Nirvana.

I imagine a 5' screen would be fine, but can definitely recommend a 5.5" or bigger.

• Upvote 2

Aaron Tirrell

Okay, flying in P3D, after selecting Bob to walk around I did see the screen door effect, I cannot believe it, I never noticed it from inside the AC. Crazy, but it was still barely noticeable, barely, about 1/10 of actually screen door though.

I am almost finished with P3D, I got in the PMDG 737 NGX and when I tried to start an engine I got the OOM and did not restart it. I have the latest version of XP11 beta installing then will try it in VR.

But, since I have installed Aerofly FS2 the other sims have been dormant, and are probably wasted space for me now, even with the money I have invested.

I'll keep them as novelty items, but I am thinking AFFS2 and wanting to try Start Citizen.

Okay, flying in P3D, after selecting Bob to walk around I did see the screen door effect, I cannot believe it, I never noticed it from inside the AC. Crazy, but it was still barely noticeable, barely, about 1/10 of actually screen door though.

I am almost finished with P3D, I got in the PMDG 737 NGX and when I tried to start an engine I got the OOM and did not restart it. I have the latest version of XP11 beta installing then will try it in VR.

But, since I have installed Aerofly FS2 the other sims have been dormant, and are probably wasted space for me now, even with the money I have invested.

I'll keep them as novelty items, but I am thinking AFFS2 and wanting to try Start Citizen.

I will not give up on P3D, and am just getting into X-Plane.

I have thousands in P3D so I cannot simply walk away.

But, Aerofly FS2 with ORBX will be the most awesome thing in the world.

After one flys in AFFS2 and see's the fluidity of motion, and the graphics, everything else is boring, besides PRBX scenery that is.

I can now live without P3D, it is just a huge, stuttering, money pit. But for now it is the only FTX I have.

I can live without systems and the whole world.

AFFS2 is so visually appealing, and smooth, that with me just being a VFR flyer, it is the closest to perfect sim in the world for me.

The other sims are old GF's that I care about as a human but no longer have any feelings of love or romance for, but Aerofly FS2 is my wife, I finally have the one and only, she has won my heart, and I will fight aND DIE FOR HER.

And my real wife loves that I enjoy simming.

Aaron Tirrell

Will this work with P3D?

Any game you have on your PC, VR ready or not.

Aaron Tirrell

This sounds very interesting.  I have no experience with VR, so I have a couple of rookie questions about this.  Can you see your mouse cursor and interact with the VC controls via the mouse when using this?  Does it track head movement or would I still use the POV hat switch on the joystick?

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

This sounds very interesting.  I have no experience with VR, so I have a couple of rookie questions about this.  Can you see your mouse cursor and interact with the VC controls via the mouse when using this?  Does it track head movement or would I still use the POV hat switch on the joystick?

You can set it to show the cursor and use it to click on stuff in game/desktop, with the 5.5" screen it is fine, I cannot say for a smaller screen though.

You can emulate head tracking with the mouse, there are settings but I have not tried them, there are in game settings for open track which I believe connects with one or two free versions of head tracking.

And there are remotes that you can use for head tracking, there are videos on you tube. But using the hat switch is fine also.

There may be a way to use the phones gyroscopic feature, I am not sure about that, already having Track IR I did not research the head Tracking.

Aaron Tirrell

Thanks for the reply.  So, I guess you can just use Track IR as per usual for the head Tracking?  I might be inclined to stick with the hat switch anyway, as I find it difficult to click on things in the VC when using Track IR, so I haven't used it for some time.  Thinking it might be even more immersive in VR though.

• Upvote 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Any game you have on your PC, VR ready or not.

Yes, it sends a split screen to your phone, with each eye looking at a different angle, there are settings and a special screen to use to bring them together into one image so they will be together in the game.

However what works for me is to get it close, and then switch back and forth from the game, to the Kinoni Streamer program and make adjustments, while making fine adjustments in game with the headset forward/backward/, side to side slides, and focusing the lenses.

My eyes do not like 3D so I enable image duplication in the program, which sends two images of the whole PC screen image to the cell phone, then I bring them together perfectly into one image using the afore mentioned settings.

In this mode there is no 3D, but it is such a great picture that I do not miss the 3D.

But you are still right there, it is so much more immersive even in this mode than just seeing the monitor and wall in front of you.

LOL, I am so sleepy I replied to myself, was up all night, cold/wet weather combo has my bad neck and back having muscle spasms on me.

Thanks for the reply.  So, I guess you can just use Track IR as per usual for the head Tracking?  I might be inclined to stick with the hat switch anyway, as I find it difficult to click on things in the VC when using Track IR, so I haven't used it for some time.  Thinking it might be even more immersive in VR though.

Best of luck. I haver yet to try Occulus Rift or Vive so I am not comparing this to them, but you can fly in VR with this on the cheap.

At first I thought there was no screen door effect from the pixels on such a small screen, (This is encountered in the high dollar VR sets also, it will go away with higher resolutions on small screens) but after venturing out of the VC I noticed it, but it is not very noticeable at all, it went completely unnoticed by me for a while in VC, I can see it now, but have to want to see it basically.

Aaron Tirrell

oculus rift is amazing, i ended up selling mine because it was so heavy on resources and our hardware just isn't there yet, i am considering the vive in the next couple months. i have never tried phone vr

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I was wrong about Kino VR.

KinoVR is not good for 3D, I didn't realize I was in fake 3D, and in 3D mode you always have a slight black line in the middle of your view, and you cannot adjust it out.

I discovered you need TriDef to enable actual 3D. And TrinusVR lets you see in 3D  without the line that KinoVR has.

I installed Trinus VR and was able to fly for 10 minutes. There is a nice clear view, so Monday night I will get the $10 full version, and TriDef for $40 and will have full 3D.

I did not realize I was not getting actual 3D until I watched some Occulus Rift  videos on youtube that shows actual split screen gaming, I put my phone in my VR headset and was amazed.

I also found some split screen in game footage of TriDef with Trinus VR, and they have full 3D.

Watch the videos on you phone in a VR headset.

I will find one or two and post them here:

Witcher 3 awesome

Elite space

Flight

Aaron Tirrell

Sorry, I was wrong about Kino VR.

KinoVR is not good for 3D, I didn't realize I was in fake 3D, and in 3D mode you always have a slight black line in the middle of your view, and you cannot adjust it out.

I discovered you need TriDef to enable actual 3D. And TrinusVR lets you see in 3D  without the line that KinoVR has.

I installed Trinus VR and was able to fly for 10 minutes. There is a nice clear view, so Monday night I will get the $10 full version, and TriDef for $40 and will have full 3D.

I did not realize I was not getting actual 3D until I watched some Occulus Rift  videos on youtube that shows actual split screen gaming, I put my phone in my VR headset and was amazed.

I also found some split screen in game footage of TriDef with Trinus VR, and they have full 3D.

Watch the videos on you phone in a VR headset.

I will find one or two and post them here:

Witcher 3 awesome

Elite space

Flight

DO NOT GET TRIDEF 3D, it says it is compatible with FSX, but everyone who used it in the past is not able to now, and it says it is compatible with DX 9, 10, 11 gMES, AND WILL WORK UNDER THE GENERIC PROFILE IF THERE IS NOT A PROFILE FOR A CERTAIN GAME, p3d DOES NOT WORK. i JUST THREW AWAY $40.

The 14 day demo never allowed me to test it, it saID IT WAS EXPIRED FROM THE FIRST TIME i OPENED IT.

Aaron Tirrell

Nix that quote, Kino VR works fine with TriDef 3D, one clear 3D screen, my bad.

But TriDef does not work with any of the big 3 FS.

Aaron Tirrell

My LG G3 has 5.46" 1440 x 2560 pixels screen, so the resolution will be fine. :)

I need only VR headset for smarthpones and an app?

What about this one?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.loxai.trinus.full

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Very good, but unfortunately there is no support from TriDef 3D for the big three flight simulators, I had fun in Dirt 2 in 3D but for flight simulation in P3D, X-Plane, FSX, or AF 2 we are a no go for 3D right now unless we get Vive or Occulus Rift.

TriDef used to work fine with FSX, and has a profile for it, but FSX users cannot enjoy 3D anymore for some reason, except for a lucky two that said they can just fine, and P3D crashes before the airplane selection window shows a plane. 

Right now, there is only 2D, but with the VR headset the immersion is a lot better, with head tracking of course, but unless you want to play other games in 3D and not FS, don't try it.

Aaron Tirrell