Sign in to follow this  
jddavidson

FSL A320 callouts, FMA and SOPs

Hello guys!

I'm new to MCE and have been making my own scripts for the FSLabs A320 based on my airline and airbus SOPs, So far I've done everything down to engine start.

First of all, thanks for creating such a powerful tool with such a broad range of options to configure our favorite aircraft!

So far, MCE works perfect and is a joy, but I've noticed a few details while using it with FSL A320, wich I hope you can help me with:

A very small one is that during the 'cockpit preparation' flow, once the crew gets to 'glareshield' the pilot monitoring is supposed to finish his scan on 'Instrument Panel' ---- IRS align.

That's checked via the MCDU, DATA page, LSK1.

The script I've done ends up with:

right cdu press data
right cdu press lsk one
pause=2
notify=i r ss within limitations
pause=2
right cdu press flight plan

Except, I don't think the copilot recognizes the DATA page. I tested the others, FPLAN, DIR, RAD NAV, etc.. and it recognizes all of them except for DATA.

In the after start flow, the PM adjusts the pitch trim. Is there a way to make it read the value from the MCDU and adjust it?

I also tried making scripts for  one engine taxi out, since MCE can handle most elements for it.
My scripts are called "staring engine one" which is the standard call out made by the PF and "engine two start procedure". But when I say that, the copilot starts the engine. Same with engine 2. If I announce "starting engine two", the PM will start the engine and won't go through the script.
Is there a way to turn off this behavior just for engine start? Since the PF starts the engine and the PM says "checked"

Now, that made me test the FMA. when I announce an FMA mode change, for example, speed 220 blue, the copilot sets the speed to 220 instead of just answering "checked" and when I ask for "pull speed 220", he just pulls the knob, or if I ask "set speed 220" he'll change the speed but he'll announce something different rather than the standard callout "speed 220 set".
I know the answers are random to make the software more dynamic, but is there a way I can change those callouts? If there's not and it's kind of a hassle, I'll be more than happy to write a list of standard callouts or help to make the script work.

Again, thanks for a unique piece of software!!

Regards.

never mind - gave wrong answer... :smile:

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Hello guys!

I'm new to MCE and have been making my own scripts for the FSLabs A320 based on my airline and airbus SOPs, So far I've done everything down to engine start.

First of all, thanks for creating such a powerful tool with such a broad range of options to configure our favorite aircraft!

So far, MCE works perfect and is a joy, but I've noticed a few details while using it with FSL A320, wich I hope you can help me with:

A very small one is that during the 'cockpit preparation' flow, once the crew gets to 'glareshield' the pilot monitoring is supposed to finish his scan on 'Instrument Panel' ---- IRS align.

That's checked via the MCDU, DATA page, LSK1.

The script I've done ends up with:

right cdu press data
right cdu press lsk one
pause=2
notify=i r ss within limitations
pause=2
right cdu press flight plan

Except, I don't think the copilot recognizes the DATA page. I tested the others, FPLAN, DIR, RAD NAV, etc.. and it recognizes all of them except for DATA.

In the after start flow, the PM adjusts the pitch trim. Is there a way to make it read the value from the MCDU and adjust it?

I also tried making scripts for  one engine taxi out, since MCE can handle most elements for it.
My scripts are called "staring engine one" which is the standard call out made by the PF and "engine two start procedure". But when I say that, the copilot starts the engine. Same with engine 2. If I announce "starting engine two", the PM will start the engine and won't go through the script.
Is there a way to turn off this behavior just for engine start? Since the PF starts the engine and the PM says "checked"

Now, that made me test the FMA. when I announce an FMA mode change, for example, speed 220 blue, the copilot sets the speed to 220 instead of just answering "checked" and when I ask for "pull speed 220", he just pulls the knob, or if I ask "set speed 220" he'll change the speed but he'll announce something different rather than the standard callout "speed 220 set".
I know the answers are random to make the software more dynamic, but is there a way I can change those callouts? If there's not and it's kind of a hassle, I'll be more than happy to write a list of standard callouts or help to make the script work.

Again, thanks for a unique piece of software!!

Regards.

Thanks for the accolade jddavidson.

Always nice to see users noticing that MCE is more than just a Jukebox spitting audio at pre-scripted times.

Will have the DATA page checked. FO can click any button on FMC-CDU (left or right), therefore doable.

Right now, he can't read FMC info.

You can proceed by "asserting things", like

You: Our V one is XXXX

FO: confirm V one XXX

You: Yes or affirmative.

And then do the same for VR and V2

He can control the stab trim. Try putting stab trim to any state, then ask "reset pitch trim" or "stabilizer trim to neutral".

I guess if we add an assertion for pitch trim, he might be able to set it.

With custom commands, the thing to keep in mind is that the built-in ones always take precedence over the custom ones.

Because all those speech commands exist, you aren't getting the desired effect.

You need to make those FMA checks unique by adding at least a short word at the beginning.

Assuming you'd be speaking 220 every time, here is how you can do it

Create custom command like this one "check fma speed two two zero blue" or "ok fma speed two two zero blue" and have FO say "checked" as part of the reply.

Once it's working, clone those scripts and rename the copies as "check fma speed two twenty blue" and "ok fma speed two twenty blue". That way, you could say either "two two zero" or "two twenty".

You could also have more similar commands with various speeds.

You cannot script dialing type of commands. While you could have a command that goes like "ok pull speed two twenty" and have a command "pull speed knob" and "set speed two twenty", he would eventually pull the speed knob, but the scripted dialing  command will fail.

The same applies to "starting engine X" command. It is built-in and will always take precedence. Make a unique one, and your command will execute instead.

It's good to see someone get up to speed so quickly with the stuff that many people don't see immediately.

It is the closest you can get to share cockpit, without having to beg someone to give you his time, sitting on the right side, and doing the less exciting stuff like reading checklist and raising the gear  :smile:

You get your highly trained co-pilot, when you need him, for as long as you want, and have the ability to teach him "the procedures".

Just curious, are you on FSX or P3D?

Hello FS++! Thanks for the prompt reply, as I've seen from reading through the forum, you take good care of us customers.

I'm on FSX and might do both FSX and P3D once the FSL A320 is out for P3D.

I see what you're saying, I will try a couple of new callouts adding an "ok" to them, like "ok, starting engine one" and I found in the shared commands, the callouts to adjust the pitch trim. I will test those commands in the next few days,

I'm also venturing into failures, since I noticed that MCE can handle most, if not all of the required actions for an engine failure and maybe even a dual hydraulic failure.

I believe this A320 with MCE is a great tool for practicing SOPs for line checks and even a few failures. I remember when I was a hardcore simmer I always wanted to be as professional as I could. So I  intend to share the script once it's done for the guys who want that too, but I don't know if I would require your permission or maybe sending it to you first so it can be published.

It'll take a few days, maybe even a couple weeks though.

So I  intend to share the script once it's done for the guys who want that too, but I don't know if I would require your permission or maybe sending it to you first so it can be published.

No need to seek approval for such trivial move.  :smile:

I mean, we don't have a patent for allowing or denying users the right to share a few English sentences, which is what flows are  :P

Looking forward to exploring the emergencies related ones.

Thanks for your help, guys! Now it works, but after FSL update, some things stopped working. Like the landing lights off command. Landing lights on works, but not landing lights off.

Also the commands for the yellow electric pump, those either don't do anything or turn on the PTU.

I will test further to see if it's not me the one messing the commands.

Regards!