Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[21JAN17] PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II - More Release Info

and their policy has always been that it will be released when it is ready. Sounds fair to me but don't like their usual drip feeding bits with inconclusive release date when allegedly the project reaches completion. Best keep to their policy and just release when ready without getting people "champing at the bit". Must enjoy getting people all worked up.

Very much agree.

Vic green

To sum it up, the 777 has no soul, the 747 does.

That is exactly my way of thinking as well. I really enjoy flying the 777 and the 737 and while the T7 is without a doubt a brilliant workhorse that gets anything done, I never felt any attachment. It's not like I don't enjoy flying her, because I really do. But after any flight I really feel indifferent. A job well done but that is usually it. The 737 feels different.. I don't know exactly why, maybe the abundance of switches and the more manual and mechanical touch it has? The 747 on the other hand embodies all that is great for me

Could it be???? It couldn't, could it?

No.

spacer.png

To sum it up, the 777 has no soul, the 747 does.

Hey, the 777 has soul, it's just too damn clever and sophisticated to show it during flight.

During flight it displays only professionalism at assisting me to get the flight completed in an expedient and efficient manner.

The soul is in the noise it generates with a full pax and cargo at V2 (zero derated TO)  :-)

"Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth? When does a personality simulation become the bitter mote... of a soul?"  Dr Alfred Lanning. iRobot.

Or, when I demand a 2000' drop onto the ILS at 250 KIAS with a 30 degree bank chucked in there for good measure and a gusting 40-50kt crosswind....the GE's scream their opposition, the FD gives up and clips the A/P off and general mayhem ensues until I, the PIC, have appeased my satisfaction that I'm "happy" with the approach and will continue to hand fly this big beautiful bird down onto the numbers - or, ummm, near them.

That's when I feel the Trip7 has a soul - when we're screaming info/ inputs at each other but we know we're in this together and we WILL get down - and we WILL grease the landing if we both feel we can - and, finally;  we WILL get last orders at the pub.

Or, when I demand a 2000' drop onto the ILS at 250 KIAS with a 30 degree bank chucked in there for good measure and a gusting 40-50kt crosswind....the GE's scream their opposition, the FD gives up and clips the A/P off and general mayhem ensues until I, the PIC, have appeased my satisfaction that I'm "happy" with the approach and will continue to hand fly this big beautiful bird down onto the numbers - or, ummm, near them.
That's when I feel the Trip7 has a soul - when we're screaming info/ inputs at each other but we know we're in this together and we WILL get down - and we WILL grease the landing if we both feel we can - and, finally;  we WILL get last orders at the pub.

Wow, such beautiful words, I can picture it clearly. :)

Hey, the 777 has soul, it's just too damn clever and sophisticated to show it during flight.

During flight it displays only professionalism at assisting me to get the flight completed in an expedient and efficient manner.

The soul is in the noise it generates with a full pax and cargo at V2 (zero derated TO)  :-)

"Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth? When does a personality simulation become the bitter mote... of a soul?"  Dr Alfred Lanning. iRobot.

I didn't say the 'trip wasn't capable. The order books speak for themselves. What I meant is that because of all the automation, you feel somewhat detached from its inner workings and systems. You almost never need to touch the anti-ice system, or mess with the electrics or pneumatics too much, the plane does most of the things for you, without you even noticing it. 

Now, while the 747-400 might be another LNAV / VNAV, lean back aircraft, so is the 737NG. However, those two require a lot more in depth system-knowledge and management skills than a 777. Just take a look at the overhead of the -400, for example. Apart from that, the 747-400 has no fly by wire, which again, makes you feel a bit more connected to the aircraft. Just my opinion, though.

I've posted about this before, but I'll repeat (since it's on topic) that I've been reading Mark Vanhoenacker's wonderful book, Skyfaring, and I'm fascinated by the amount of soul and poetry he's able to find in advanced automation.  Really a nice corrective for somebody like me who didn't necessarily think that going in.  Worth a look before you write off the Triple 7.  Yeah, I know, he's a 744 guy, but the broader point still stands.  

Looks great guys. Looks like another winner.

Unfortunately I am going to have to sit this release out - moved over to XP11 and I'm cutting back on P3D investments. Going to stick it out with the 777 in P3D until I see an XP version for the 747..

I was around for the NGX release, everybody was really excited, the forums were mad, people refreshing and having a great time in general.  That seemed to change with the 777, not sure what it was, either the aircraft or PMDG themselves didn't seem to generate that same level of excitement.  I hope that the 747 will be more like the 737 release. 

The 747 and 777 I very different in both real life and in the sim. The 777 is very automated and while that may be nice in real life it can be a bit dull in a sim. I believe the 747 will be a nice compliment to the pmdg lineup. You have the 737 with limited range but lots of things to do during the flight where you feel much more hands on for one side and the 777 which has all these advanced features for long haul flights but lacks much to do once everything is programed in on the other side. The 747 slots right in between the two to give the best of both worlds and I think that is why you are seeing more hype. In addition, people have already been flying the old pmdg 747 so they are familiar with the aircraft and have developed an affection for it. 

At the risk of encouraging more semi-pointless but enjoyable speculation, PMDG just changed the cover photo on their Facebook page.  Before it showed a cockpit view of the 744 on the runway.  Now it shows a cockpit view of the 744 at the gate.  Is this a message, or just random picture change?

Andrew Jones

Thanks for the heads up Andrew. It's a nice picture. Maybe it means they are ready for departure, ready to lauch the 747?

First thing tomorrow morning, I'm gonna transfer some money to my card so I'm ready for the purchase :)

On a second thought, from the runway to the gate can mean that the test flights (=beta) are over and the queen is ready for boarding for the first revenue flight (=lauch on the fsx/p3d market). That's what my mind jumped straight to. But it's not the only option. If a plane goes back to the gate after being lined up on the runway it could mean that something's up (the dreaded last minute issue RSR told us about) and more ime is needed.

Oh, I'm so hoping it's not the 2nd situation!

Fabrizio Barbierato

CLX319_zps10aeywtl.pngECN0550.png

At the risk of encouraging more semi-pointless but enjoyable speculation, PMDG just changed the cover photo on their Facebook page.  Before it showed a cockpit view of the 744 on the runway.  Now it shows a cockpit view of the 744 at the gate.  Is this a message, or just random picture change?

Based on Rob's post (http://www.avsim.com/topic/502215-21jan17-pmdg-747-400-queen-of-the-skies-ii-more-release-info/?p=3558991) I don't think it's more than that -- a random picture change.

But then again... remember NGX's release? :P

I think it was the NGX release that the pictures of it were in different stages of flight and when it landed it was available. Don't know if they would do that again.

Richie Walsh

Baseless conjecture:

I understand the beta testers received a build to try out this weekend. (I think I read that)

Monday - collect reports from beta testers. Meeting to review reports Monday afternoon.

If nothing significant noted: Release Tuesday.

Otherwise, Tuesday is spent trying to reproduce reported problem(s) and determine the scope of fixing the issues.

Next, also depending on problems reported and scope of problem(s), determine if another release candidate should be sent to testing team or not.

Based on above, either release Wednesday or Thursday. However, if reported problems(s) do require another release candidate to be passed to the testing group...well. In this case, the two week till release target is likely missed.

This is fun. Anyone can play.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS