Sign in to follow this  
Hangman

744 Pre-Release Itch Scratch - Flight Deck Layout

Hello all

In anticipation for the 744 release I have been doing a little bit of YouTubing and watching the excellent beta videos that have been uploaded. I do have one question which I would normally look up in the FCOM, but unfortunately I haven't got a copy of it.

What on Earth is the barber pole that sits on the flight deck coaming directly in front of both pilots? It seems to show up during the takeoff roll then closes off once airborne. Can somebody help me scratch this itch? It has been about 4-5 years since I flew the 747 on FS so am now totally unfamiliar with the type again.

Thanks in advance

It is the Para Visual Display (PVD). It uses the localizer signal to visually aid staying on the runway centerline during takeoff in poor visibility.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

That's service, 5 minutes later I have an answer. Thank you very much Harm!

Kindest regards

Thanks Tabs, I imagine this was only fitted to the earlier frames fitted with the CRTs? I was reading that became fairly obsolete with advances in navigation technology. Lucky I plan on flying the old battered flying scrap freighters so I should definitely come across working examples (again from reading some carriers have deactivated it).

It is the thing directly above the PFD that looks like a black and white candy-cane:

qfjb_pvd.jpg

Thanks Tabs, I imagine this was only fitted to the earlier frames fitted with the CRTs? I was reading that became fairly obsolete with advances in navigation technology. Lucky I plan on flying the old battered flying scrap freighters so I should definitely come across working examples (again from reading some carriers have deactivated it).

There's airframes that have both the LCDs and the PVD. (example - the Qantas 400ERs)

• Upvote 1

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The PVD, being right up high on the glareshield, would perhaps be more useful than looking down at the PFD and then back up up again when transitioning from instrument to visual in the last few seconds. Also, it does not overwhelm with data, just the basics of left-right of the centerline.

It's a great system... until pilots ignore it...  (Google "Singapore Airlines SQ006 and Para Visual Display")

... or it breaks down... :Tounge:

PVDRepair.jpg

The system actually receives guidance data from the (Autopilot) Flight Control Computers: The Flight Control Computers mix airplane yaw rate and cross body acceleration (from the IRUs) and localizer deviation and localizer deviation rate to come up with easy to follow commands. :hi:

Cheers

John H Watson

• Upvote 2

... or it breaks down...
Yikes! I wonder if PMDG has modelled that particular breakdown. "Oh, never mind, it always does this"!!

The PVD, being right up high on the glareshield, would perhaps be more useful than looking down at the PFD and then back up up again when transitioning from instrument to visual in the last few seconds. Also, it does not overwhelm with data, just the basics of left-right of the centerline.

It is only used for take off, you implied the transition from instrument to visual as in approaches. It is not for that purpose.

Dan Downs KCRP

It is only used for take off, you implied the transition from instrument to visual as in approaches. It is not for that purpose.

Ahh right... surely it would be of benefit on rollout in bad vis though?

Does the bar only come alive under takeoff conditions? (One reference I got was "Only be used on ground")

It only works on the runway with the ILS/LOC freq/course for that runway set on the NAV RAD page. It will not become active when landing.

Dan Downs KCRP