Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

Looking for a 4K TV or Monitor that will give me smooth 30hz in P3D.

I read through many of the post but some of the topics are slightly outdated. I'm currently running a BenQ 32 2560x1440p on a i7 4790K, EVGA 1070 FTW on Windows 64. Right now I have great performance. I recently purchased a Samsung 40 UN40KU7000 but the mouse / panning was not what I seen online. I'm now leaning towards the Samsung UN40KU6300 which seems popular or even the BenQ 3201 4K monitor. Any recommendations would be helpful. The thing that turns me off with some monitors is the antiglare coating. The BenQ 3200 that I use has it slightly and I heard the 3201 was improved since it is a IPS display. What I did see on the UN40KU7000 was nice but lag turned me off. Thanks for any suggestion. 

Dan

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I read through many of the post but some of the topics are slightly outdated. I'm currently running a BenQ 32 2560x1440p 

I have a Benq 32" monitor and my Sony 43" UHD is way better - awesome at 60hz - with Benq was chasing nice AA all the time  - why would you want to do 30hz - 60hz is great - best addition to flightsim I ever did - great AA at lower AA settings in sim menu

Rich Sennett

I haven't found anyone who's a better authority on 4K TV's for flight sim than Rob Ainscough (Google his name an 4K TV for links to what he's written, one of the pages will have the minimum specs a 4K should have for flight sim).

Using what Rob published, I went shopping last year and I found that every Samsung and LG 4K TV I saw met the specs.  Some other brands wouldn't have one model that did, and one that didn't.  Add that that that some might report to meet the specs, but not be the same quality as others.  So I finally found a 55" Samsung 4K TV on sale, and being tired of sorting through specs online standing in front of TVs in numerous stores I bought it.  I haven't looked back and I'm a very happy guy!

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hes he one that twisted my arm and glad he did - but we differ on 30hz vs 60hz

Rich Sennett

Rich, I was interested in obtaining a TV or Monitor that would give me 30hz smoothness like what I see by Rob A and others. The UN40KU7000 ran great at 60hz and motion was glass smooth but my FPS were up and down between 30 and 60. Most of the time I was in the mid 40's. I know I can't maintain those higher numbers to maintain smoothness. I tried 30hz but panning by mouse was a blur unless I moved real slow. Again I'm just going by what I see and trying to get 30 with no panning blur.

Dave, I've read almost every post by Rob A. On your Samsung, what is your NCP vsynch setting and are you running 30 or 60hz?

I'm trying to figure if there is that much difference between the KU6300 and the KU7000. Seems like more folks have success with the 6300.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Hes he one that twisted my arm and glad he did - but we differ on 30hz vs 60hz

Hey Richard,

Yeah, I've seen where it made a difference on some TVs, and didn't on others.  On my Samsung, I really can't see any difference between the 30Hz and 60Hz, not even the output bandwidth or temps of my GPU.  There may be a difference, but I'm not capable of seeing it.  It certainly may show on a different rig / tv though.

Always a pleasure.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Rich, I was interested in obtaining a TV or Monitor that would give me 30hz smoothness like what I see by Rob A and others. The UN40KU7000 ran great at 60hz and motion was glass smooth but my FPS were up and down between 30 and 60. Most of the time I was in the mid 40's. I know I can't maintain those higher numbers to maintain smoothness. I tried 30hz but panning by mouse was a blur unless I moved real slow. Again I'm just going by what I see and trying to get 30 with no panning blur.

Dave, I've read almost every post by Rob A. On your Samsung, what is your NCP vsynch setting and are you running 30 or 60hz?

Yes I noticed the same thing at 30hz was a no go for me thats for sure - good luck with your search - I didnt have any issues with my Sony in P3D and XP11 running at 60hz - smooth sailing here - might be that my Sony is a newer version than Robs Sony - hes waiting on 8k

Sorry Dave missed your post as I was posting also - I could not run at 30hz was like slow motion baby lol - 60hz runs like a dream - take care my friend 

Rich Sennett

Richard, when you run P3D @60hz what are your FPS like? Do they flux much based on aircraft and scenery? What do you have NCP vsync set at?

Dan

I've run all over the map, and it just doens't break!  Presently I'm running at 30Hz, 1/2 refresh rate - but I'm going to remove the 1/2 refresh rate - but I'm tinkering,  This TV really handles it all exceptionally well.

Now, I have seen post with guys with 4K monitors who've had all sorts of issues, so I'm very glad I went with the TV.

My TV is a Samsung 4K UN66KU6290

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

Richard, when you run P3D @60hz what are your FPS like? Do they flux much based on aircraft and scenery? What do you have NCP vsync set at?

50 to 60 in P3D - in XP11 45 to 50 but XP is in beta so cant go by that - I dont use vsync with this monitor dont need it anymore which is a huge help in fps - I used basic NCP setup in P3D and XP nothing special - monitor just does all the work no need for messing around anymore - just works - if your thinking about a Sony you want mine as it is the latest version Sony makes 

No difference in what aircraft I use - keep in mind I have a beast of a computer

Rich Sennett

Thanks for the input everyone. I will take another stab at this.

Dan

I tried a samsung brought it back for simming there was no comparison - samsung was a bit to cartoonish for me no offense Dave - My Sony visuals are like my Benq but way bigger and much better picture especially when you go to YT 4K test videos its mind blowing 

Here is what I bought

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43-class-42-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801700.p?skuId=4801700

Rich Sennett

Well, no offense taken Rich, I didn't design or build them. But I'm very happy with the Samsung. I don't use it as a TV / to watch movies, just for the computer.

As I recall, you went 4K about 6 months or more before I did.  There might have been some model differences.

Dave Hodges

Well, no offense taken Rich, I didn't design or build them. But I'm very happy with the Samsung. I don't use it as a TV / to watch movies, just for the computer.

As I recall, you went 4K about 6 months or more before I did.  There might have been some model differences.

True I had a hard time deciding to go with the latest and greatest Samsung when I returned a bit older version but salesman talked me into Sony - it had a gaming feature that Samsung didnt have and not remembering it right now

Rich Sennett

FYI, I picked up the Sony 43X800D so will see how it goes.

Dan